Ukrainian "chevron" air force markings from 1991/1992

Botan

Hello

Is the any photo or source, which confirm a existence of "chevron" style Ukrainian air force markings, which appeared briefly after gaining independence? Those are covered in

Authentic Decals MiG-29 (9-13) Fulcrum C Part I (Nr. 72-03) sheet (link, no. 21 and 37), but unfortunately instruction do not shown roundels positions on wings. I can only assume they will be in place of Soviet stars, and with acute angle aiming back.

Hi there Bo,

In the March 2006 issue of Air Forces Monthly, there is a report on the Ukrainian AF.

Included is a picture by Sergey Popsuevich, giving a front-left perspective of "38 white" of the 114th regiment at Ivano-Frankivsk. Picture date is given as January 31st, 1993 (!).

The chevron markings applied are explained in the report as being unofficial ones, from a bunch that appeared [in this particular case, at unit level - 114th regiment] in the immediate aftermath of Ukrainian independence from the USSR, before the official, sanctioned markings were settled upon.

I have, unfortunately, no information regarding the wing markings. However, in lack of some visual evidence, I would build my model with the chevrons on the wings pointing the sharp end forward - the tail markings have also their sharp ends pointed towards the front of the plane...

Cheers,

Niki

• Thanks 1