Royal Class Fw.190A Dual Build 1:48

Mike

She's done... although I do have the urge to spray a little muck on the wheel bay cover ends :hmmm: I'll post the rest of the pics in RFI, but for now here's one of them:

complete1.jpg

I enjoyed this one more than the other, but then apart from the cockpit, wheels and legs, this one was OOB.  I'll be finishing off the Trop shortly, but I have a fair amount of work to do on that one in respect of the additional stuff that'll be needed for the base.  This one may get a base if I can decide what colour to paint the planks I made, and find a frame to base it in.  We shall see :)  RFI here, thanks for watching, and to those lurking, thanks for the likes :yes: It's not over yet, but 50% of it is ;)

• Like 9

Cheers! ^_^

I've been doing other stuff (like putting the inner bay doors on the A-3, finally) while I wait for the tripod engine hoist for the Trop, so in the meantime I've been building up a bunch of bits for the backdrop, which I've just sprayed up in black primer to see how they look.

tools1.jpg

Back to front we have a saw horse, 40(ish) gallon drum, two fuel cans, and one of those awesome tail jacks by Das Werke in injection moulded styrene.  I've got to build up another for the back, but you get the idea.  The front row is the Eduard Bf.109 toolset, which is identical to the Fw.190 tool set apart from the legend at the top of the fret, which I found out the hard way by buying this one, then finding out there was an Fw.190 specific set, checking the instructions to find they're the same :shrug: It took a couple of hours to put it together, and it is best described as fiddly, but worth it.  All those tools are separate parts, and the ones in the deeper boxes are multi-part tools with complex folds, some cylinders that need rolling, and a few bits of styrene rod.  It does all fit nicely together, and looks really nice when you finish.  I managed to get all but one part done, which simply wouldn't fit in the space available, so my mechanic "lost" it :wicked:

I'll have to decide what colour to paint everything next.  I'm sure someone intelligent will know, but as of this moment I'm clueless (as usual).  I was thinking RLM02 for most of the jacks & tool boxes, but I'm fully prepared to be wrong ^_^

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tank152 said:

Great find re the hoist, i've bagged one of those myself. 👍

That's great - Matthias is a small company, so I don't doubt he'll appreciate the extra trade :) I picked up a set of chocks too, as I'll need those to keep the 190 from rolling away :smartass:

• Like 1

Got my AirModel tripod or Dreibein as it's called on the box:

tripod2.jpg

tripod3.jpg

Obviously I couldn't wait to get it out of the bag, and I was curious how I'd wrap those tread parts around the 2mm tubing that's supplied.  Turns out it's not that difficult :) All you do is press it over the tube before you fold it, and push it in with tweezers so that it conforms to the shape.  Then flatted out the foot pegs, fold it and slip it onto the tube.  I propped each one of mine up with tape rolls at the correct height, and applied a little CA to the joints.  Couldn't be bothered with the soldering iron for such a small non-structural job.  It's currently setting up stuck to a blob of Blutak on my keyboard, so I'll have a bit of a go at the rest of it while that's happening.  It's a nice set, with PE, resin and brass parts that leaves nothing out apart from a couple of bits of 0.4mm brass wire you need to link the hooks to one of the blocks, and the engine bearer, the latter of which I won't be using this time around.

Ye Olde tripod is now finished, and it's a really good piece of kit.  No real pitfalls apart from setting your angles correctly, which is easy enough if you draw a 3-pointed star on a piece of paper with each arm 120o apart.  I wanted mine about 12cm at the widest, which resulted in 7cm arms for star.  I set the legs in Blutak, centred them at the top and applied some CA, turning it over and adding more glue once it was set.  I have a feeling I might need to shorten the chain again once the dio starts to come together, but that's reasonably easy to do, as the chain is copper and easy to cut.  The strop is made of 2-laminations of Tamiya tape stuck glue to glue, and attached to a brass eye that I bent up with pliers.

I also lost one of the feet, so had to replace it with one I made up myself. :doh: I added some PE nuts & pivots to the new one, which looked a bit crisper than the original, so I sliced off the ones from the resin ones and popped some of the new LionRoar (Actually, they're years old!), so that they all look the same.  It's all glued up now and I'm leaving it til the CA is well set before I start handling it.  Here's a couple of pics of the finished article - well, as far as I'm going with it, as I'm not using the engine bearer, so that's staying in the spares bin for now.

tripod4.jpg

tripod5.jpg

• Like 8

• 9 months later...

Thanks fellas ^_^@MC_335 they were mostly Gunze acrylics, shot through my trusty Mr Hobby PS-270 airbrush.

Sad to report there's been diddly progress for the remainder of the year, but you never know.  A new year, a newly reinvigorated desire to finish off a few? :shrug: