Royal Class Fw.190A Dual Build 1:48

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Thanks Chris :) I wanted to do something a bit unusual with one of them, so the Trop was it ;)

Excellent builds so far Mike, it's the Desert machine and how you treat the weathering on that one that I am most interested in.  The desert is a fascinating place and the only one on Earth where you can get a Met forecast of "Periods of rising sand in the afternoon"

They are both looking good

Dennis

Thanks @sloegin57 Dennis - I've just discovered that Ultimate Light Dirt does a good impression of a dusty surface if you don't wipe it off completely and let it sit in the "nap" of the paint.  I'm going to give it a coat of that and see how it looks, and take it from there.  Meantime I have to repair the nose, as I dropped her in the bin the other night and the nose panels fell off :owww: I'm sure I'll manage to get her back together, but it's a minor inconweenience in the meantime :dull:

It was just my hands misbehaving, as they sometimes do :shrug:  What'm I going to do, give up? :fraidnot:

Anyway - the progress doesn't look much, but I've washed the A3 with some Ultimate Dark Dirt, which has come back off nicely, leaving just enough to show up the panel lines and rivets without being too stark a contrast.  On the underside I used Light Dirt, but it doesn't seem to show up in the pics.  I might give it a coat of gloss to see if that makes it pop. 

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

You might notice the wing guns are missing.  One popped off today, so I cut the remains of the other off too and cut some 0.8mm micro-tubing ready to glue it in when the majority of the rough handling has been completed.  I've been painting guns too, although that happened after the pic was taken, so you can't see it yet :ninja: 

I've started repairing the A-4/Trop cowling, and am letting that set up overnight before I try to reattach it.  The engine mounts on the port side had also come adrift, so the engine was sagging a little to one side, making cowling fitment... interesting.  The top mount with a piece of cake to fix, but the bottom mount is buried away in the fuselage/wheelbay area.  Happily, there's a tiny rectangular hole in the gear bay, which allows access to the stud so I could put some CA on it.  I wonder if that's its function in 1:1? :hmmm: It's currently slathered in Light Dirt and that needs cutting back quite a bit before I'm happy with it.  While the cowling was off, I've taken the opportunity to repaint the nose guns, and will dry-brush them once the first layer has dried properly.

• Like 4

@Kahunaminor cheers :) It's an easy kit, so you'll probably get on no troubles.  My only issue has been caused by the fact that I merged the resin engine with the Trop fairings, thereby making a tiny rod for my own back :shrug:

On 02/03/2018 at 13:57, stringbag said:

Can I borrow it when you're finished?

Just pull the stick out from your butt and use that! :tease:

A bit of progress to report.  The nose is back on the Trop and it has been subjected to some exhaust staining and a bit of desert weathering.  no pics of that one yet, but the A-3 has had a wash and a matt coat, as well as exhaust staining and a little light chipping here and there.  I built up the gear legs too, as the wafer-thin resin was bending too much and causing some cracking of the paint, which by then had decals applied.  Gotta say, I love those bronze gear legs ^_^

topside7.jpg

• Like 6

Cheers boys :yes: I've been playing catch-up with the Trop, which had to have some nasal surgery, a wash of light dirt, and now a dose of AKAN matt varnish.  I've been adding a few extras like the outer-wing guns and the cowling clasps to the missing panels, which was quite fiddly, I don't mind telling you.  Those were primed in black, so need painting up with RLM02 and the outer colours where appropriate.  Then I've got the fun of adding them to the model and not subsequently knocking them off again :hmmm:

Here's the Trop as she stands now:

topside8.jpg

I'm starting to wonder whether I need to just pop their legs on and finish them off.  The A-3 is closest to finished, as it doesn't have any of those irritating missing panels, but I'm not quite sure whether it needs a bit of extra muss adding hither & thither or not.  It's been a long time since I finished a model with the exception of the recent Swedish J-22A, so I've kind of forgotten some of the processes :hmmm:

• Like 7

Thanks @matteo44 - I quite like it too.  It's growing on me. :)  Not much progress from last time, just the girls on their own wheels for the first time, and some of the cowling fasteners added to the Trop.  The rest of the panels are sat on my keyboard as I type this, festooned with more fasteners that are in the process of being painted.  They're a bit fiddly, but they look ok once they're on.  Hopefully I'll be able to keep most of them too :pray:

topside9.jpg

• Like 9

On 3/4/2018 at 5:26 PM, Mike said:

It's been a long time since I finished a model with the exception of the recent Swedish J-22A, so I've kind of forgotten some of the processes :hmmm:

What is 'finished a model'? That's a bizarre concept, or is it a crafty code used when trying to sneak a new purchase past the boss...?

Les

4 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

What is 'finished a model'?

It's one of those rare beasts when you can't think of anything else to do to a build due to either fear of screwing it up, or because you've forgotten some important aspect of the build due to your lack of the aforementioned finished builds.  In these circumstances, it's best just to pop it in the cabinet until you remember what it is you hadn't done. :hmmm:

• Like 2

Thanks Tim - hopefully going to have some more progress worth showing (especially on the Trop) before the end of the weekend :)

9 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Looking forward to the finish.

You and me both ;)

Not much done this weekend in the end, but some important small bits have been polished off, which will help. :)

I finally girded up my loins and plucked up the courage to start the desert hard-standing base last night, broke out an old round cheese board from a few Chrimbos ago, masked up the edges and smooshed some DAS air-drying onto the surface (pre-roughened) in a thin but uneven layer.  While it was still wet I sprinkled some desert sand/pebbles onto the surface and pressed it in so it looked a bit more like a surface, rather than an afterthought.

base1-1.jpg

base1-2.jpg

That last pic is before I trimmed the edges off to the lip of the masking, so it looks a lot better than that now.  The pins mark the depressions for the wheels, and there are a couple of patches that I've flattened off for some oil drums and fuel cans off to one side.  I left it to dry overnight on top of my scanner (it wasn't wet, so no danger), but the wood has somewhat drooped to the shape of the lid, which is a bit of a pest.  I've got four bricks laid on top of it at the moment in the hope that it'll straighten up without cracking the clay, but if it does, I guess I'll have to start again with another board. :shrug: I've got some more fine grit to add here & there, and once that's all straight & flat, I'll paint it a suitably desert shade of beige to harmonise everything... if I can get the bow out of the base oif course :unsure:

I built up one of the Das Werk tail jacks last night to see how they go together, and the answer is very well :) A bit of seam scraping is required of course, but everything fits nicely together, and the injection moulding is very good, especially for a small company :thumbsup:  I also made up one of the saw horses out of curiosity (they're only 3 parts each), and they're rather nice too.  Not sure if I'll use it in this dio, but once I've broken my duck I'll probably be building more down the line ^_^

• Like 3

I wasn't happy with the stress cracks in the paint on the gear leg covers of the Euro kit, so I've just spent 10 minutes scraping off the paint & decals... more work, but it would always have irritated me if I'd left it :shrug:

legcovers1.jpg

I'll get some primer on after a cuppa and a donut, and then put some blue on.  Must make sure I put the right shade on, and not the Trop blue :doh:

I was trying to scratch build a tripod to lift the prop off my Trop 190, using a couple of grainy pictures as my reference, and got a couple of hours into the task (inc. research & some very rusty trig calculations) when I started looking for more pics.  Quite by coincidence I stumbled on a pic of an Airmodel tripod in 1:48 that's pretty much exactly what I need.  I could spend more time rebuilding the legs in brass to accomodate those clamped on foot pegs correctly, but the detail on the set was just too good to pass up, so I've cancelled my build and will use this one when it arrives from that there Germany :)  Here's the bits I'd managed to cobble together beforehand.

tripod1.jpg

The Euro gear leg doors are about ready for some wash now, and I'll matt them down to match the rest of the airframe soon after.  All that one needs now is the covers and its resin pitot probe, which is waiting safely out of harm's way in a fully complete state with a nice chrome tip. :coolio:

• Like 1