Italeri KC-130F Fat Albert

Magua87

Hi, all.

I've recently picked up a copy of Italeri's 1/72 Hercules in its KC-130F boxing, aka Fat Albert. I got a bargain, but unfortunately that means I didn't get an instruction sheet with the kit. Does anyone know where I can find one online? 1999.co.jp is my usual go to, but I've had no luck there for this kit.

Thanks in advance. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Does this kit contain any extra parts for a KC-130 ie. hose and drogue pods?

I have a feeling it's just a standard Italeri C-130.

Just the standard E Model C-130 kit, you need to find the hose and drogue units inthe aftermarket world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Just the standard E Model C-130 kit, you need to find the hose and drogue units inthe aftermarket world.

Which is all good with me. With new nacelles I'll be building an RNZAF Herc'. It's a shame that Attack Squadron has closed down. 

Thanks, all. Roym's gonna scan a copy for me.

Magnua87 ... mind telling me what nacelles you're planning to use?  I'm looking for 2 sets myself, but with Attack Squadron closing down before I could move on it and Oz Mods out of the picture, all  can find is the Flightpath offerings.  I'll probably end up with them unless I find better, but from the online reviews I've read on them, even thought they claim to be designed for the Italeri kit, the extent of the surgery (implied) required means that they're far from a drop-in replacement - unless the ones they offer now have been re-done in the time since the reviews were written.

Scott

53 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Magnua87 ... mind telling me what nacelles you're planning to use?  I'm looking for 2 sets myself, but with Attack Squadron closing down before I could move on it and Oz Mods out of the picture, all  can find is the Flightpath offerings.  I'll probably end up with them unless I find better, but from the online reviews I've read on them, even thought they claim to be designed for the Italeri kit, the extent of the surgery (implied) required means that they're far from a drop-in replacement - unless the ones they offer now have been re-done in the time since the reviews were written.

Scott

Scott,

I as far as I am concerned there are no drop-in replacement engines for any C-130 kit since the wing mounts are incorrectly shaped on all 1/72 C-130 kits (except perhaps for the original issue Airfix C-130). There is some sort of surgery required whichever aftermarket engines you use.

The Italeri kit has staggered engine mounts so the inboard ones need to be brought back the leading edge of the wing, all AM engine set contain engines of the same length. It seems none of the manufacturers picked up on the stagger mounts on the Italeri kit.

Next, the mount cross section is too wide at the leading edge so that needs to be brought in as well. The AMT Kit is the same for the cross-section.

OzMods have not done E/H engines, they offer A and J engines, do you mean Ron's Resin?

Here is an example. While in this case, I added a spacer to the outboard engine (mistake on my behalf), you can see the step between the aftermarket engine and the mount (these are J Model engines BTW) but the H engines I have are similar width.

28253582739_4051254a57_o.jpg

It is just a case of filing the mount down to bring it in line with the engine nacelle side walls

25161665527_182be3b57d_o.jpg

25161664967_e99df1b180_o.jpg

Finally a comparison of the kit engines (bottom) to the Flightpath (left) and Ron's Resin (right). I did not get any Attack Squadron engines as I have a few sets of the Ron's and flight path engines so I can't comment on those.

25161799517_d309be0e61_o.jpg

Sorry for the slight thread hijack @Magua87:D

• Like 1

Romeo Alpha Yankee...

An invaluable 'hijack' ... thanks and yes, it was Ron's Resins I was thinking of.  Ron's Resin's ...still around? (I'll have to check, tomorrow). 

One thing I noticed though, the engine's from Ron's Resins had a 'lip' to help in mating to the wing/nacelle ... Flightpath don't.  I guess that means hollowing out the back of the cowling and gluing a few location tabs of your own, or did you have another method with your "J" engines?

Scott

3 hours ago, chris57 said:

My memories failing me but what happened to Jens Herc bits, she did engines to correct the Italeri c-130 to the J variant?.

I think IIRC that they were bought by another company, which folded but is now in resurrection if you get my drift.

15 hours ago, chris57 said:

My memories failing me but what happened to Jens Herc bits, she did engines to correct the Italeri c-130 to the J variant?.

Among other things, like Lancastrian and Halford conversion sets, I managed to get a few engine sets from Jen before she sold the moulds