Nuremberg Toy Show 2018

tagy

You beat me to it tagy. 

The Ferrari is looking like a very nice kit. No engine yes but it has near enough complete carbon decals and the paint masks look very good. From how I've seen it go together I think if someone like top studio try and replicate like they did with the redbull rb6 they will have a very hard job to try and get around the monocoque mounting style also it has screws to try and get around but on the plus side the gearbox is independent unlike the rb6.

Shaun  

Also the price for the caterham is insane I get it's a very sort after kit but over £300 Is a little like a kick in the 🥜

But love the Ferrari still just need to get my order In at hiroboy who have it for under £50 🏎🏎

Shaun 

1 hour ago, colin said:

Agreed it's high Shaun, but look what they were asking on E for them

Granted some eBay prices were out of this world but just going off the last 1/12 rerelease compared with the original prices the price hasn't dropped as much as anticipated. 

Shaun  

Hiroboys prices always seem on the high side to me, I'll keep a look out as and when it's released to see what and if I buy.

Mind you a I do like the new Tamiya F1 Ferrari, but I'll wait for you to build and gets some tips ;)

16 minutes ago, capri-schorsch said:

I wonder why a re-release is so expensive?

The molds are already there, nothing had to be designed and constructed.

And still the price is double than they first release it?

Insane.

Should it be not cheaper?

My think now with this is they are treating it like the Porsche gt and Ferrari enzo and having it up in the 300s because that's where they sold, but I do think that 300 for a Tamiya kit is still on the high side. Hopefully this whole brexit thing can sort out the exchange rate back to pre vote levels or even better pre recession levels and I can pick one up for pennies direct from Japan. Like now the Ferrari sf70 is £48 pre order (over 50 with postage) in the UK but from Hong Kong is around £25 before post and about £31 with it. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

I bought the Caterham when it was originally on sale. It cost me over $500 Australian, which even now is a lot of money (about what the remaining Enzo and Porsche GT are going for). Good to see it coming back, shame I can’t afford to buy one any more.  Must get around to finishing the old one! Only had it 15 years or so! I built a 1:1 Westfield in less time!

• 1 month later...

I just found a pre-order for the Caterham on Great Hobbies here in Canada and went with them. It's $399 CAD with free Canadian shipping which works out to about $100 CAD less than the next lowest price out of Hong Kong. They have it as arriving in April so not far off. 

Interestingly enough, I think I paid around the same amount for my original kit of the Seven when it first came out. So I can't really complain there. 

Carl

I had actually bought  a JPE kit right before I saw the initial news of the reissue. It was $560 CAD so a bit more than the BDR. 

I am surprised at the significant differences between the two kits though. It's not just a paint job and stickers. The engine, brakes, wheels and tires are all different. 

So I wonder if they will reissue the JPE and Cycle fender editions too or just the BDR. 

Either way, at this point I think I'm set. 

Carl 

Agreed that a £300 plus price tag is too much for the re release of a kit that was first marketed about 10 to 15 years ago. It's not as though there are any new development costs, just purely production. Would be interested to see where the kits are currently made. In Japan or elsewhere? I think that Airfix punted a lot of their production out to India some time ago to reduce manufacturing costs. If Tamiya are doing the same, then to my mind the cost hike is unjustified. If the kit were sold at a more realistic price of say £150 they would probably increase sales four fold or more by making the kit more accessible and still make a reasonable profit.

• Like 1