1/72 - E.E. Canberra by AMP/MikroMir - B.2, T.4, T.11 & T.17 released

Homebee

9 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

If you design each version separately, then you can indeed talk about separate models and the total cost of such projects is high. But when creating the whole project at the same time, it is possible to design such a division of the model as to replace the fuselages or wings, or even only their fragments. The total cost of such a project is much lower, and in addition, at a certain point making another version can be so easy, because you need literally just a few not very large elements.

TBH I don't know how many different fuselages, wings and engines would be needed for the whole project of UK and US Canberras, but I hope one day someone will do it. Since Hobby Boss released a new U-2, maybe they'll make a Canberra in the future too?

You would definitely need two  fuselages for the RB.57A and B.57B/C a modification to rear end of the B would cover the E. You could do the wings with a drop in panel on the upper and underside, so yes it can be done. There are some other details but nothing big. I still think the British Canberra would need two kits, at least. 

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

So did they do new wings for the T.17? Have you got one of the old kits to compare it with? 

John

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I've just compared the wings on my T.17 with the wings on my T.11, and the T.17 does indeed have wider wing roots.

Regards,

Jason

To clear the things up, let me remind what boxings we had up to date:

There was basically two main kits:

B.2 by S&M and B.6 by S&M

they both have completely different fuselages and main wings with different dividing surfaces.
B.2 fuselage halves have front entrance doors, while B.6 fuselage end at diagonal bulkhead and frontal fuselage is at additional sprue.

B.6 wing are 2,5mm longer (longitudinal dimension), they have reworked panel lines and different area near intakes.
Sprue with vertical stabilizers, landing gear flaps and etc is the same for every boxing.

Additionally there was:

T.4 by S&M
(B.2 with different transparent sprue)

T.17 by MikroMir

(B.6 with additional parts; slip tanks and B.2/B.6 nose removed from sprues)

and where the problems starts:

T.11 by AMP

1 release (~2018) - B.2 with additional parts

2 release (~2019) - B.2 with additional parts and with removed parts dedicated for B.2/T.4 only

3 release (~2020) - B.6 (sic!) with additional parts (which is quite a trouble as you can't fit B.2 intakes to B.6 wings)
                                manual stays the same, only with erratum showing the current set of sprues.

I would also like to point out that new AMP B.2 box art shows the very same plane which was the only paint option in original S&M B.2 boxing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

I still think the British Canberra would need two kits, at least.

Yep, different wings for bombers and PR variants plus different fuselages. But still: such a project could be implemented step by step, over several years. So that the company does not overinvest, and at the same time modellers are able to buy more novelties. A win-win situation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

So what would be the best kit to base a PR.7 on?

Regards,

Jason

The way I do it Jason involves 3 kits. I always base my PR.3 and PR.7's on the old Airfix B.57 kit. When they changed the mold they some how managed to get the fuselage length wrong, making it too long, but right for a PR. Canberra! The next part is the hardest, ideally you need the last version of the Aeroclub replacement nose, if not that any off the other B.2 style nose replacements. The last thing in the mix are a set of wings from the FROG B.(I)8 or any of it's  reincarnations, or the newer Airfix B.(I)8  then you have the makings of a good PR.7. Aeroclub did a vac form fuselage if you can find one, you could use that with an Airfix 8. 

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Yep, different wings for bombers and PR variants plus different fuselages. But still: such a project could be implemented step by step, over several years. So that the company does not overinvest, and at the same time modellers are able to buy more novelties. A win-win situation.

If they did a B.2 and a B.6 kit they could use everything in the two kits to do a PR.3 and PR.7 with the addition of new fuselages. Job done!

John

So hang on, the S&M boxing marketed as a B.6 has the  correct chord wing also included with the MikroMir/AMP T.17?

That alters things for me, having bought a B.2 to convert to a B.6 I rolled my eyes when the B.6 boxing came out, but I assumed the latter just had new decals and (if one was lucky) new compressor faces. If the chord is corrected then maybe coughing up again for a B.6 is actually worth it? I would alter the B.2 wing but trying to smooth over the necessary surgery enough to paint the thing silver seems like a direct route to madness...

EDIT: A quick web search suggests that the B.6 is already into hen's teeth territory so it may be academic!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I can't remember if I have it on my site IPMS UK Canberra SIG. If not let me know and I'll dig it out. But given the inaccuracy of the wing in the kit you will probably need to start from scratch. 

John

Thanks @canberra kid, I have tried the SIG webpage but following the link from the homepage seems just to bring up an "403 error: Forbidden" message (I tried two browsers)?

11 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Thanks @canberra kid, I have tried the SIG webpage but following the link from the homepage seems just to bring up an "403 error: Forbidden" message (I tried two browsers)?

Are you trying on a phone? If so you need to try a PC or Apple laptop, for some reason the server doesn't get on with mobile devices. There is a work round but it's beyond my skill set. If all else fails email me at [email protected]

John

1 hour ago, Vulcanicity said:

So hang on, the S&M boxing marketed as a B.6 has the  correct chord wing also included with the MikroMir/AMP T.17?

Personally I didn't think the chord was sorted until Mikromir/AMP did the kit, but could be wrong.

• Like 1

I won't say if it is correct, or not, but it was different. Dimensions of B.6 wing were close to Frog and panel lines mostly according to THIS.

Here, grab a photo I made just quarter ago: (You can open it in full resolution and you should be able to read the panel lines)

kHKZSNE.jpg

EDIT: A quick web search suggests that the B.6 is already into hen's teeth territory so it may be academic!

Well, we just have announcement of B.2 release by AMP/MikroMir. In my opinion B.6 from them is just question of time.

30 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Personally I didn't think the chord was sorted until Mikromir/AMP did the kit, but could be wrong.

I beg to differ. I bought two S&M B.6 in January of 2020 directly from Mel and they had different wings/fusalages as on picture above.

Unless there was obscure early release with no photos of it online, I stand my ground.

Edited by Fictorque

37 minutes ago, Fictorque said:

I won't say if it is correct, or not, but it was different. Dimensions of B.6 wing were close to Frog and panel lines mostly according to THIS.

Here, grab a photo I made just quarter ago: (You can open it in full resolution and you should be able to read the panel lines)

kHKZSNE.jpg

Well, we just have announcement of B.2 release by AMP/MikroMir. In my opinion B.6 from them is just question of time.

I beg to differ. I bought two S&M B.6 in January of 2020 directly from Mel and they had different wings/fusalages as on picture above.

Unless there was obscure early release with no photos of it online, I stand my ground.

Can you a direct comparison with the FROG wing and the new version please? If they are the same or very close that will be good news.

John

38 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Can you a direct comparison with the FROG wing and the new version please? If they are the same or very close that will be good news.

John

Like, I got this Friday my MSc thesis defense and I really need to do some things... But if you give me a week i should be a "free man" next weekend
and I will sit down read all available documents by you and make dimensions with caliber and compare them...

But generally yeah, when I compared side by side Frog and B.6 wings they seemed optically to be the same shape ±0,5mm with probably some slightly bigger differences around wing tips radius of fillets.

1 hour ago, Fictorque said:

I know there are two different wings from S&M, to reflect the differences with B.2 and B.6 type, so the chord at the wing tip panel line was corrected at that same time?

Just measured my Mikromir T.17 wing, the wing tip chord (at the outboard wing rib /aileron outer edge line) is 32.1mm, which equates to 7' 7", or 2,311.2mm. 

The actual Canberra wing tip chord is 7'8", if I'm doing my conversions correctly that makes it less than 0.5mm out on the kit, I can live with that difference!

Unsure what the same S&M measurement is, but purely academic to me now in reality.

I would say that the T.17 kit is as perfect as you can get in this scale, it has all the right bits (wheels, wing, relevant engine vents & fronts etc) and really nicely detailed, I hope they continue with this care and attention with the B.2 and beyond.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Just measured my Mikromir T.17 wing, the wing tip chord (at the outboard wing rib /aileron outer edge line) is 32.1mm, which equates to 7' 7", or 2,311.2mm. 

The actual Canberra wing tip chord is 7'8", if I'm doing my conversions correctly that makes it less it 0.5mm out on the kit, I can live with that difference!

Unsure what the same S&M measurement is, but purely academic to me now in reality.

I would say that the T.17 kit is as perfect as you can get in this scale, it has all the right bits (wheels, wing, relevant engine vents & fronts etc) and really nicely detailed, I hope they continue with this care and attention with the B.2 and beyond.

Nice one James, thanks for that.

John

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

41 minutes ago, CharlieGolf2009 said:

The external gun pack was only used by the B(I).6 and B(I).8, correct?

Correct, and their export derivatives.

It does look look like the same wings as the T.17 as you can make out the scribing for that types extra intakes fitted to the wing undersurfaces, good news though as they are accurate for B.2 and associated marks, bring on a TT.18!

• Like 3