1/72 - E.E. Canberra by AMP/MikroMir - B.2, T.4, T.11 & T.17 released

Homebee

This is interesting and I think AMP/Mikromir have possibly tripped themselves up over the basic Canberra variants and the derivatives.  I also think that @canberra kid tried pointing this out early in the thread.

I don't have the kits to hand so I am relying on many different reviews/sprue shots online.   I hadn't noticed until recently that they have molded two different styles of wings, and that the fuselage sprue layouts have changed substantially for the two kits. 

This is good in that it shows that AMP have recognised that there are two basic Canberra versions.  

However, there are certainly incorrect B.6 parts in the T.11/TP.52 boxing, whereas the T.17 kit appears to have the correct B.2 style parts.

Both kits should have the same B.2 derived fuselages, wings and engine intakes, but in fact they have different style ones from each other.  The same goes for the minor details such as the wheels, which is annoying as this was pointed out very early in the thread and they had actually created the correct type. 

Only the noses, and other very minor add on features, should differ between these two kits.  To me the T.17 looks to have the right parts, but not the T.11?

Canberras with the 'fishbowl' style canopy fall in two basic types, and all the derivatives reflect their features.

Basic type B.2  Featuresmulti spoked main wheels, basic wing, basic fuselage, small intake cartridge starter bullets

Derivatives, PR.3, T.4, T.10, T.11 ( & TP.52), U.14, T.17, TT.18, T.19

Basic type B.6  Features: cast four 'spoke' main wheels, wet wing with panel line changes, fuselage with large rear stiffening plates, larger/pointier intake triple cartridge starter bullets, changes to engine vents                        

Derivatives PR.7, B.15, B.16, T.22

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

As it's the time of year when we write long lists of things we want, but couldn't possibly treat ourselves to - ahem! Can I ask Santa to please check if there's a new Canberra PR.3, PR.7 or TT.18 lurking in the bottom of his sack?

Edge

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edge said:

As it's the time of year when we write long lists of things we want, but couldn't possibly treat ourselves to - ahem! Can I ask Santa to please check if there's a new Canberra PR.3, PR.7 or TT.18 lurking in the bottom of his sack?

Edge

Yes please, but first can we have an accurate B.2 and B,6 not the same kit as they are diferant, then the PR.7 and PR.3.

John 

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - E.E. Canberra T.11/ B.2 /Tp.52; PR.3/.7 & T.17 by AMP/MikroMir - T.11 & T.17 released - new B.2 boxing
2 hours ago, Homebee said:

New boxing by AMP - ref. ? - E.E. Canberra B.2 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/mikro.mir.dnepr/posts/4822261047851593

Box art

I'm building a 100 Sqn B2 converted from a T11 coded CB (S&M B2 being a bit too dear for my taste, hence the T11 workaround). Guess I should've waited for this one to come out... Will pick up the T4 when it hopefully inevitably becomes available.

Does this boxing inlude the corrected wider chord wings?

Jay

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

I'm building a 100 Sqn B2 converted from a T11 coded CB (S&M B2 being a bit too dear for my taste, hence the T11 workaround). Guess I should've waited for this one to come out... Will pick up the T4 when it hopefully inevitably becomes available.

Does this boxing inlude the corrected wider chord wings?

Jay

I doubt any changes have been made to the kit other than markings. Still waiting for a good 1/72 B.2!

John

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

In fairness their last T.17 kit seems to have the right bits in the box and is nice, so fingers crossed for this one.

Unsure if they ever corrected the chord or not though.

I doubt it very much James, I did send them all the correct info, but I suspect it's still the same kit, otherwise they would have had to to start from scratch, so I think it's left with the same issues as before, but they did get the B.2 wheel hub sorted in the end! So no all bad.

John 

• Like 1

Is there anywhere a good source for the panel line changes between the B2 and B6 wing? I'm about to embark on the S&M kit to build an early B6 in Suez colours and could really do with trying to understand the difference and whether it's worth me trying to correct, but photos of the upper wing with adequate resolution are hard to come by!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

TBH I'm still waiting for a whole decent Canberra family in 1/72.

The only problem with that Piotr is the difference between Mk.'s you can't do an accurate generic Canberra, you could just about do a B.2 family and a separate kit for the B.6 family but there are difference between all of them in the skin details. 

John

9 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Is there anywhere a good source for the panel line changes between the B2 and B6 wing? I'm about to embark on the S&M kit to build an early B6 in Suez colours and could really do with trying to understand the difference and whether it's worth me trying to correct, but photos of the upper wing with adequate resolution are hard to come by!

I can't remember if I have it on my site IPMS UK Canberra SIG. If not let me know and I'll dig it out. But given the inaccuracy of the wing in the kit you will probably need to start from scratch. 

John

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

The only problem with that Piotr is the difference between Mk.'s you can't do an accurate generic Canberra, you could just about do a B.2 family and a separate kit for the B.6 family but there are difference between all of them in the skin details. 

With the modern approach of designing the whole family at once rather than individual versions, the differences are not too much of an issue. Obviously the UK and US produced Canberras is a big project, but also for a model manufacturer it's something they can release gradually over several years. Why Airfix couldn't capitalise on such an opportunity, with access to the original aircraft, is beyond me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I doubt any changes have been made to the kit other than markings. Still waiting for a good 1/72 B.2!

John

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

In fairness their last T.17 kit seems to have the right bits in the box and is nice, so fingers crossed for this one.

Unsure if they ever corrected the chord or not though.

@71chally indeed, the T.17 had the right wing chord, which is kind of why I hope and even suspect that this new boxing will have the correct wing chord as well this time around.

I must say I do like the kit - even after adding several corrections I liked the T11-> B2 build and I'm looking forward to more (T17 next).

If this kit has the correct wings, I will regard it as a good B2 kit, and I hope others will as well! 

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

@71chally indeed, the T.17 had the right wing chord, which is kind of why I hope and even suspect that this new boxing will have the correct wing chord as well this time around.

I must say I do like the kit - even after adding several corrections I liked the T11-> B2 build and I'm looking forward to more (T17 next).

If this kit has the correct wings, I will regard it as a good B2 kit, and I hope others will as well! 

Jay

So did they do new wings for the T.17? Have you got one of the old kits to compare it with? 

John

27 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

With the modern approach of designing the whole family at once rather than individual versions, the differences are not too much of an issue. Obviously the UK and US produced Canberras is a big project, but also for a model manufacturer it's something they can release gradually over several years. Why Airfix couldn't capitalise on such an opportunity, with access to the original aircraft, is beyond me.

The Martin Canberra would definitely be two kits minimum, I still think at least 2 for the British Canberra too. 

John

4 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Whether they are correct or not, I do not know, but the T.17's wing panel lines are quite a bit different from the T.11's.

Regards,

Jason

Nice, I did send them the info so it looks like they used what I sent, though I didn't get a response at the time.

John

• Like 1

Just now, Learstang said:

So they couldn't just provide different noses for the B-57s to account for the different cockpits/canopies?

Regards,

Jason

No, it would need new wings too. The fuselage is diferant between the A and the B too, not just the nose.

John

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I didn't realise they were that different. So am I right in thinking that the B-57A was very similar to the British Canberra (B.2 or B.6), whilst the B-57B incorporated many changes? I do like the Canberra, but I admit I really don't know all the differences between the myriad different versions. I suppose it's all the different versions (and markings) that make the Canberra an appealing subject.

Regards,

Jason

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

This is what I was saying, the other Canberra kits in this family had various issues, but certainly the T.17 kit I got has got all the right bits, including engine vents, fronts and wheels etc. I can see the wings were the right type with the panel lines etc, I can't remember with the chord now but seem to remember it was looking good to me.

I seem to remember it being the best Canberra kit so far, and thinking AMP/Mikromir had listened and improved.

Nice to know the chord is corrected, hopefully from the info you provided John.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

The Martin Canberra would definitely be two kits minimum, I still think at least 2 for the British Canberra too.

If you design each version separately, then you can indeed talk about separate models and the total cost of such projects is high. But when creating the whole project at the same time, it is possible to design such a division of the model as to replace the fuselages or wings, or even only their fragments. The total cost of such a project is much lower, and in addition, at a certain point making another version can be so easy, because you need literally just a few not very large elements.

TBH I don't know how many different fuselages, wings and engines would be needed for the whole project of UK and US Canberras, but I hope one day someone will do it. Since Hobby Boss released a new U-2, maybe they'll make a Canberra in the future too?

• Like 1