I built the model... my grandfather the real one

Back in 1925 the newly created Regia Aeronautica signed a contract with Breda that created a flight school on Bresso airfield on the northern outskirt of Milan.

That school trained young pilots using SVA 5 airplanes built in the nearby Breda factory were my grandfather was working as an apprentice.

When I was a child he used to tell me a lot of stories about how they built motor cowlings, wings, carved wood to build fuselage, test wings resistance, start-up engines by hand...

He used also to draft these planes teaching me about all the different components and I believe this is the reason why many years later I took the decision to become a pilot and an aerospace engineer.

So, when I found this model at a local model fair, I was really excited also because decals described exactly one of those Breda school planes that my grandfather built and told me about.

The model is the 1/48 Fly... I would say not an easy built.

Painting has been done using airbrush with Tamiya acrylics plus special pigments for wood effect (first time I'm using them).

I'm not 100% satisfied of the result, maybe I will buy another one and try to do a better job.

Here you are the pictures, as usual any comment or suggestion is more than welcome.

Cheers 

Andy

20180130_171857_zpsqd2q3p6v.jpg

20180130_171908_zpstv3aodke.jpg

20180130_171808_zpsa5jqrnwv.jpg

20180130_171843_zpsf7dzcfwk.jpg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

A wonderful background story and a lovely model to go with it!

I especially like the slightly offset moving surfaces that add life to the plane. And the wood finish looks quite convincing to me.

Meaningful and beautiful work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Wonderful story Andy. Unfortunately I can only imagine your model, thanks to Photobucket.

Cheers,

Wlad

Edited by Wlad
fixed typo

13 hours ago, Wlad said:

Wonderful story Andy. Unfortunately I can only image your model, thanks to Photobucket.

Cheers,

Wlad

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Photobucket strikes again! Or didn't strike. No pictures.

Chris

use an embed fix

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photobuckeyt+embed+fix&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=zg9yWsCGDc2GgAb4kYGoCg

great model and history Andrea.

cheers

T

Hello Andrea,

In your latest post, I only see the first image, then just blank boxes.

From what I do see, the model looks great! Thanks also for the background story.

Regards,

David

Success with the photos!  A great looking model and a fascinating back-story, so worth waiting for.  The wood effect on the fuselage looks really authentic.

Edited by Meatbox8