1/72 REVELL MILLENNIUM FALCON

This is the large (40cm long) 1/72 Revell Millennium Falcon Easy Kit, kit 06694

The kit has relatively few parts and is designed to hold together without glue; parts are relatively thick but reasonably detailed. Details are pre-painted so that the model can be built quickly without any additional finishing

There is an in-box review with good sprue shots at:

I can't justify the £300+ for the Fine Molds version or indeed the forthcoming Bandai one which I gather will come in at similar price. Stunning as those kits may be, £29 for this version (£60 RRP) seemed like a good compromise after watching Last Jedi

Originally released a few years back as an 'Original Trilogy' version, this kit has additional parts for the rectangular radar dish from Force Awakens together with slightly different undercarriage and access ramp but the original parts are also included.

The kit goes together quickly, plan was to leave main ship parts unpainted other than a coat of Matt Varnish before weathering but the pre-painted side panels were very different in tone so decided to paint everything.

Cockpit is basic but thick glasswork makes it hard to see anyway, I modified some Airfix pilots to make a crude Han and Chewbacca for a bit of fun.

20180121_103747.jpg

To avoid a see-through look to the hull I added plastic card squares, coloured black with a sharpie, over the gun position windows top and bottom.

The blue painted (on rear) clear engine part was installed and masked with Tamiya Tamiya paint for protection against both scratches and paint.

I used the newer 'Force Awakens' undercarriage parts as they seemed more detailed and made an extra radar dish mounting (copying kit part) so that I could use both parts and swap them around. I assembled everything other than the undercarriage doors, guns and radar dishes then masked the clear parts with Humbrol Maskol ready for painting.

20180120_204605.jpg

Lifecolor FS 36440 Light Gull Grey was airbrushed all over, when dry a coat of MIG Ammo matt varnish added extra protection. Red, grey and yellow panels were brush painted back on (using pictures of the pre-painted kit parts as reference along with a copy of Fine Molds kit instructions I found on Internet.

When all this was dry, I used Vallejo acrylic washes (Light Grey primarily, with Dark Grey and\or White wash mixed in for variation) to weather the ship.

Maskol removed, all finished

Was a relatively quick and very fun build, only problem now is that it's too big for display cabinet !

Lots more pictures here: http://blog.cjhm.net/172-revell-millennium-falcon

Work in progress pictures on Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=cjhm %23REVELL MILLENNIUMFALCON&src=typd&lang=en

20180128_112610-1.jpg

20180128_112635-1.jpg

20180128_113040-1.jpg

20180128_112948-1.jpg

20180128_113155-1.jpg

• Like 4

Nice,I have one my son had,ready to disassemble and rebuild,was wondering how much one would need to reduce the depth of the sides by to get a more accurate falcon,and how one would deal with the subsequent  cockpit  miss match  is another thing altogether.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, fatalbert said:

Nice,I have one my son had,ready to disassemble and rebuild,was wondering how much one would need to reduce the depth of the sides by to get a more accurate falcon,and how one would deal with the subsequent  cockpit  miss match  is another thing altogether.

Yes, know it's a bit tall but it looks enough like the MF to me unless someone gifts me the new Bandai one when it appears ...

Adjustment to the hexagonal airlocks(?) would be fun too!

5 hours ago, cjhm said:

Yes, know it's a bit tall but it looks enough like the MF to me unless someone gifts me the new Bandai one when it appears ...

Adjustment to the hexagonal airlocks(?) would be fun too!

Bugger,I had forgotten about those lol