Defiant 1/48 Trumpeter vs Airfix

Jurek Greinert

3 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

I think the Defiant is one of those where Airfix used their LIDAR setup, insuring more accurate shapes on the external bits (not sure oif they would be able to use it in the cockpit or not). Not sure exactly how Trumpeter came up with the shapes they produced…

The general consensus, and not only on Britmodeller, seems to be that the Airfix kit is the better of the two… :tumble:

Airfix did not use LIDAR on the Defiant. They did have access to the RAFM aircraft while it was disassembled for restoration prior to its move to Cosford.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jurek Greinert said:

OK, you convinced me, I'll take both sets in the store and compare. However, if the surface is s-f there is no reason for doubt

You can get the improved second tooling of the Classic Airframes Defiant quite cheaply on ebay now that the Airfix kit is available. This would certainly be a better choice than the Trumpeter kit if you are that put off by the Airfix surface detail.

• Like 1

A friend of mine has built the CA and Trumpeter and is building the Airfix. He is somewhere between Jamie's Camp #1 and Camp#2. He started by removing all the surface detail on the Trumpeter which he didn't think was very accurate, apart from most of the shapes being wrong - specifically for Jurek, everything mentioned above and also the cowling shape.

His overall rating is #1 Airfix, #2 CA, #3 Trumpeter

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 12:47 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Airfix did not use LIDAR on the Defiant. They did have access to the RAFM aircraft while it was disassembled for restoration prior to its move to Cosford.

Thanks for the info.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:47, VMA131Marine said:

True on your first point they did not use LIDAR when they were doing the Defiant, it only came later.

The second point is not true as it was still at Hendon after the airfix kit had been released, I posted up 13.3.16 that the walkaround would be handy for those doing the new Airfix kit. It only moved to Cosford in November of 2016.  Airfix had access to the airframe while it was being restored by The Medway Aircraft Preservation Group on behalf of the RAF Museum, before it returned to Hendon in 2012.

Julien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 11:17 PM, Julien said:

True on your first point they did not use LIDAR when they were doing the Defiant, it only came later.

The second point is not true as it was still at Hendon after the airfix kit had been released, I posted up 13.3.16 that the walkaround would be handy for those doing the new Airfix kit. It only moved to Cosford in November of 2016.  Airfix had access to the airframe while it was being restored by The Medway Aircraft Preservation Group on behalf of the RAF Museum, before it returned to Hendon in 2012.

Julien

Thanks for clarifying. I knew it went back on display at Hendon after it was restored but skipped over that for the sake of brevity in my post. In this case, more words would have been better.

• Like 1