Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, StephenCJ said:

Chris I use general purpose thinners (acrylic thinners used in the automotive industry).  You can use it with all your paints - acrylic and enamel.  4 litres cost me < $25.00 from a proper paint shop not bunnings.  There it is > $25.00.

I bought a cheap airbrush from the LMS in Lismore for $60.00 same airbrush from evilbay $15.00.  It lasted 6 months the thinners ate the seals.  I then bought a Harder and Stennbeck  (I don't know how to spell the name and am too lazy to look) Infinity, it has replacement parts and it will last me a lifetime.  I didn't want to buy chinese, japanese or french (I thought paasche was french) airbrush.  I also have a paasche which I bought to paint the Concorde.

It is recommended that you thin you paint to the consistency of milk, I thin a little more.  

Any how you model is looking really good.

If the 3.00pm temperature here reached 3 deg Cel we all would drop dead, too cold for me.

I have a Revell Sea Hurricane to build and wasn't starting it until I have finished what is started.  Bugger it it will get started today.

Stephen

Hi, Stephen. I wanted to reply to this after you posted but I got distracted. Thanks for that advice on thinners. I'll be good for awhile, though, as I have two large bottle of Tamiya X-20A thinner, one unopened. I also have a gallon of distilled water and two bottles of IPA, one 70%, the other 91%.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my keister down to my room and got a little bit done. It seems like every time I think I'll go down and see what I can do, to get the mojo jump-started, something/someone distracts me. Drive someone here, pick up someone there. Shovel snow off the walks ( Warning: if you live somewhere it frequently snows, don't buy a house on a corner. Too much sidewalk to clear. I didn't know this when I bought my house ). I didn't get too much done today. I glued the prop to the backing piece, sanded flat spots on the Freightdog replacement wheels and did a little weathering on the exhausts, using some Tamiya weathering pastels.

46072033212_dd5651595b_b.jpg

I didn't weather them too much, as the pictures I have access to don't show too much staining on the pipes. I know these aircraft weren't flown too much in the year that they were in Canada and I'm not sure what octane fuel the RCAF had access to during that time.

Oh yeah! My paint masks finally arrived yesterday. A whole month after ordering them from Hannants. Thanks a lot, Canada Post!

Chris

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

No, nothing to report. I haven't yet got the airbrush operational. Too many outside factors hindering progress. My oldest daughter and her boyfriend live downstairs in the spare room and rec-room, which is next to my hobby room. He works mostly in the afternoon to evening shift lately, so I don't want to make too much noise. There are myriad pre-Christmas chores the wife keeps finding for me to do at odd times. My oldest just got her drivers licence and doesn't have any winter driving experience, so if the roads are a bit bad, I take her to work. Her boyfriend doesn't have his licence so I drive him to work. My youngest daughter also lives with us and she doesn't drive either. I've become Uber-Dad. It's almost depressing but I have some medicine for that.

36007270906_4b98dd9476_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was a real Christmas Miracle! A little while ago, the missus comes into the living room and tells me I should go downstairs and work on my Hurricane. I couldn't believe it! I was stunned! You could have knocked me over with a feather. When I asked if she was sure, she just said " Pee off! I've got presents to wrap and you're in the way! "

So I dutifully went down to the room  and played around for about 40 minutes. About all I did was sand/polish out some Pledge that was on the landing lights and then add a few wee drops to a couple more spots. I didn't bother to take any pics as it didn't seem worth it.

Then I cleared a spot on the other small table so I can wrap her presents.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Chris

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Then I cleared a spot on the other small table so I can wrap her presents.

Tell me you bought her the same Hurricane kit so that you can happily start building models together?

So how large (or small) was the area you needed to clear to wrap her pressies Chris?

Ain't Christmas so much fun.

Cheers and enjoy the festive season my good friend.. Dave

• Like 1

Hi Chris didn’t realise you had been having surgery. As you are shovelling snow and running Uber for the family I’m hoping that means you’re back up and running.

Nice work on the Hurricane too. The wings (and the trailing edges) are a bit of a bear but otherwise it’s a super kit. I missed the metal panels behind the gun hatches when I built mine.

Let’s hope Mrs DB packed you off downstairs for some more modelling over Christmas! (And have a good one)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Tell me you bought her the same Hurricane kit so that you can happily start building models together?

So how large (or small) was the area you needed to clear to wrap her pressies Chris?

Ain't Christmas so much fun.

Cheers and enjoy the festive season my good friend.. Dave

I definitely did NOT get her a model kit. I might just as well stab myself in the chest with a butter knife. The end results would be better for me.

Yes, Adrian, I'm all healed up now. It's just finding the time now. Luckily, there hasn't been much snow yet this winter. The last few days have been quite cold, though. At high noon today, it's -20C. Just waiting for the real cold weather of January/February to hit.

Chris

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 1:38 PM, dogsbody said:

I definitely did NOT get her a model kit. I might just as well stab myself in the chest with a butter knife. The end results would be better for me.

Chris

I wish I'd read this thread before Christmas... At least the dog house has a heater, I don't think much of the dry food though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Steven, has the cold weather hit down there yet? When I got up at 07:30 this morning, it was -34C. It then warmed up to -24C this afternoon....Chris

No, we don’t have your cold weather yet. It was a balmy -20C today... had to put sun tan lotion on...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, StevSmar said:

No, we don’t have your cold weather yet. It was a balmy -20C today... had to put sun tan lotion on...

Is that a sunburn or frostbite?

Chris

Nothing much new to report. I haven't done much on the Hurricane. Right now I've been getting some Mr. Surfacer 1000 around the wee gaps between the prop and spinner and sanding that out. For some reason I ended up with a fair gap on one side. I still haven't got anywhere on the painting. It's still a bit cold in my basement hobbyhole. A few days ago the outside temperature only got up to -22C. My room was about 12C. It took over an hour for my little heater to get it up to normal room temp. of 22C. Also, my mojo still seems to be a bit low. I'm about at the stage where I have given up on previous builds. Painting scares at living stuff out of me. It's so easy to really screw up all the work I've done so far. Also, my time is being split up more than before. Driving my two daughters and one daughter's boyfriend to work and then fetching them home. This week, my youngest goes to work at 08:00. Her sister goes at 11:00. The boyfriend goes at 4:00 pm and the youngest is done at 4:30pm. The eldest is off at 7:00pm while the boyfriend is done at 9:00. As the old Doobie Brothers song goes: It keeps you running.

Okay. Whine is over. Time for my afternoon coffee and cookies.

Chris

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Nothing much new to report. I haven't done much on the Hurricane. Right now I've been getting some Mr. Surfacer 1000 around the wee gaps between the prop and spinner and sanding that out. For some reason I ended up with a fair gap on one side. I still haven't got anywhere on the painting. It's still a bit cold in my basement hobbyhole. A few days ago the outside temperature only got up to -22C. My room was about 12C. It took over an hour for my little heater to get it up to normal room temp. of 22C. Also, my mojo still seems to be a bit low. I'm about at the stage where I have given up on previous builds. Painting scares at living stuff out of me. It's so easy to really screw up all the work I've done so far. Also, my time is being split up more than before. Driving my two daughters and one daughter's boyfriend to work and then fetching them home. This week, my youngest goes to work at 08:00. Her sister goes at 11:00. The boyfriend goes at 4:00 pm and the youngest is done at 4:30pm. The eldest is off at 7:00pm while the boyfriend is done at 9:00. As the old Doobie Brothers song goes: It keeps you running.

Okay. Whine is over. Time for my afternoon coffee and cookies.

Chris

Mail yer hurri over to me, I'll have her painted and back in no time, I'm experimenting with some new camo schemes that should work a treat...

46612400002_348cb14539_b.jpg&key=c8084e3

Doh!

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well crap on a cracker! Another holdup on my build. This morning, just before 11:00, the wife realized there was no hot water. Sure enough, the water heater had blown out. Quickly shut the water off to it and fired up the shop-vac. Called a plumber that I had used before and dude showed up at 3:00 pm, right on the time they said he'd be there. The only small holdup to the change-out was his drain hose was frozen from being in the back of his pickup truck. He had a heat gun and thawed it out quickly. The draining process was a bit slow but he was done and gone by 6:10pm. The only loss was about a dozen issues of SAMI magazine that decided it was a good time to slid off the box they were sitting on and be right where most of the water pooled in my room.

Anyway, everything should be back to what passes for normal around here by tomorrow or Sunday.

Many thanks to Dragon Plumbing & Heating for such prompt service.

Chris

• Sad 4

Well double damn! Yesterday afternoon, while trying to put a 10kg. bag of salt into my water softener, I threw out my back, right at the bottom, about hip level. I can still get around but I need to move a couple boxes to get my room back in order. They're both kind of heavy and I just don't think I could move them right now nor do I think it would be a good idea to try.

Geeze! Getting/being old SUCKS! ( oh to be able to type in the style of foul language that I feel is appropriate for this situation. )

Chris

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I threw out my back, right at the bottom, about hip level

:tmi:

My sympathies. Been there, done that, still suffering the consequences. Plenty of rest and not doing anything stupid will help. Taking painkillers helps, but I prefer to avoid them as long as I can stand it in case they mask the pain too much and encourage me to do something even more stupid! 

• Like 1

I hear ya! I'm not really into painkillers either. It's not too bad. I can still get around and drive. Seeing as right now I'm the only driver in the house, I kind of have to. My wife has been suffering with a bit of vertigo the last couple weeks and doesn't feel she's ready to drive. My oldest daughter only got here drivers license this past July and doesn't have any winter driving experience. She has been out some and she is quite a good driver but if the roads are slippery, I drive her to work and back. Her boyfriend lives with us, too and he doesn't have a license so I drive him to work and back. Same with my youngest daughter. I've become Uber-Dad!

So, I'm just going to play it cool and wait until my back feels better. I'll need it in a few months when it warms up and I can get at the gardens.

Chris

• Like 2

Its waited this long Chris she’ll wait some more. I ruptured 7 discs in my lower spine in 2010. I know exactly how you feel. Ive learned the warning signs and know my limits now but occasionally still blow my lower back out from time to time. Then i get to lay down for a couple of weeks. 

Dennis

PS: Sadly I've done way worse to my body, but will leave it at this injury. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

PS: Sadly I've done way worse to my body, but will leave it at this injury. 

Am waiting for my second neck vertebrae fusing op, on top of investigations into fusing lower back bits too (you’d never guess who did 10 years in Machine Guns Platoon would you!), so literally feel all your pain! Still playing over 35’s footy at 51 so it could be worse!

A day before my holiday last year (at the end of a 72 hour shift- the joys of being a one man band eh) I hallucinated someone walked into the room with me at about 0300 (I had to drop the job I was doing off at 3 Paras guard room at 0400 before being at Stanstead for 0530) and spun round and put my sacroiliac joint out, and that meant for the first 10 days of my fortnight’s holiday I couldn’t get off my bed unaided!  Thank god for family beer waiters!

I hate backs!!

Chris, it will get better, the girls will learn how to drive on ice, boyfriends will get their licenses and you will get your life and your back back!

Then we can see Hurricanes!

• Like 2

It's already a bit better and just this afternoon I bought some off-the-shelf back pain meds. Just waiting for the evening calm so I can indulge. Guess I'm off the likker 'til I'm off the drugs.

Chris

• Like 1