Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the DE Chris - looks smooth to me :) 

Empty jars are weird eh? I guess Dennis has it right and someone is dipping into the pots, otherwise they wouldn't have the reputation they do? Who knows…

The paint lifting is a pain. I had a quick look back through the thread and couldn't see if you primed before paint?

Did you wipe down the model with cleaner? I usually wipe mine over with IPA (fnaar!) to remove any finger grease before I prime.

HTH

Thanks, Ced. It is a semi-gloss paint, so it's a bit shiny. Should be good to put decals onto.

I didn't prime, but I did wipe the surfaces down with 99% IPA ( not the beer! That would be sacrilege ) before painting. The paint didn't lift, but the Tamiya tape on the starboard leading edge has a little bit. I've left it for now as I didn't fancy remasking the whole underside again. I really don't care for that process.

I've also been wiping my fingers with the IPA before touching the Hurc.

Chris

• Like 4

I've put the AML camo masks on. Damn! That ain't easy. They seem to stick to everything very well except a painted surface. And they are very fiddlly to get into position on curved surfaces. I think next kit, I'll just cut out some tape and use that. I've got a 40mm roll of Tamiya tape on order.

I also used a little Mr. Masking Sol to fill in a few spots. I'm just waiting for that to set before I go Dark Green painting.

I can see some brushwork with a small pointed brush in the near future 

50373278377_78a11a2f6b_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I've got a 40mm roll of Tamiya tape on order.

I use that to for big/medium jobs. It can be a bit finicky when trying to get it off the roll, it likes to tear in length wise strips. Also I de-tack tape on the outside of my hand before I use it. That way it still stick to the model but just barely. I have almost never had a paint lift when doing this. 

• Like 1

It's gone all green! 

So, the DG has been sprayed. Looks like it came out okay. There was aa intensely, heavy pucker moment, when turning the mounting stick, It almost slipped out my fingers. 

I swore. Loudly.

I'll leave that to dry a bit more while I have my afternoon coffee. I was thinking of something stronger and distilled, but Mrs. DB gave me that look, so I chose coffee.

50373356271_df3c33b9c5_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

Masking removed. Not as good as I hoped for, but better than expected.

I should have done the green in at least 2 coats, as it's a bit thick in places. I also should have let it sit longer. I left a thumb print on the starboard rear fuselage.

These's one spot of overspray/ masking leakage. The Mr.Masking Sol also took some of the shine off of the brown. The painters tape lifted a bit off the aluminum, but nothing too bad. 

There's also some missed areas on the wing leading edge. 

I'll have to do some pondering, to figure out how to fix these rookie mistakes, if I can.

Now the visual proof:

50373077998_7d963f6bf4_b.jpg

50373941672_8a3394f733_b.jpg

50373078028_df120fec40_b.jpg

50373941712_358dfe542e_b.jpg

50373776941_92617f81a5_b.jpg

50373782266_e6f5a4ef61_b.jpg

50373941742_438d347549_b.jpg

50373083623_b5ebbde403_b.jpg

50373782296_4f198d186f_b.jpg

50373947037_6a790ae6bb_b.jpg

50373866726_1fd26e2456_b.jpg

50373083698_ba34e0007d_b.jpg

Critiques welcomed and expected.

Chris

• Like 14

👍👍👍👍👍👍

Love it! The thumb print and the ridges will disappear under a couple of passes with a fine sanding stick (and the thumbprint will probably be covered by your decals anyway) and the other booboos can be touched up with a brush if they bother you.

At the leading edge wing roots it looks to some extent as though the masking tape has gone where its shape drove it instead of where you wanted it to go. Next time you could maybe mask in two stages round those areas in two stages: once with a thin strip (2mm?), made by slicing up a piece of standard tape, which you can take exactly into the corners with tweezers and see where it is; then with a wider strip that overlaps the thin strip to take care of overspray. That’s what I do, although I brush paint so I have no overspray (normally!).

I think it looks great. Do another one quick before you forget that you can do it!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

(and the thumbprint will probably be covered by your decals anyway) and the other booboos can be touched up with a brush if they bother you.

There were no squadron codes on the RCAF's early Hurcs.

46758296991_e6614cd0d3_b.jpg

I'm going to wait for the paint to fully dry, then I'll try your suggestions. 

Chris

• Like 5

It's not you :P

I've used AML masks before, my main bugbear is getting the overlaps 'right'. Always needed some touch-ups, but that's where the Tamiya tape and blu/white-tack comes in (and of course thin coats at low pressure), to fix the small overspray/not-quite-straight lines.

One thing I have learned is to spray away from the edge of the masks. That largely avoids the issue of paint ridges, but as @AdrianMF says: light sanding with a very fine grit will remove those.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

It's not you :P

I've used AML masks before, my main bugbear is getting the overlaps 'right'. Always needed some touch-ups, but that's where the Tamiya tape and blu/white-tack comes in (and of course thin coats at low pressure), to fix the small overspray/not-quite-straight lines.

One thing I have learned is to spray away from the edge of the masks. That largely avoids the issue of paint ridges, but as @AdrianMF says: light sanding with a very fine grit will remove those.

I've got some brand-new unopened Squadron sanding sticks, like these, that I'll use on those ridges.

50376118646_1cc20426b1_c.jpg

Now, with afterthought, I should have used some Blu-tac on those spots yesterday, instead of the Masking-Sol. I probably should have used it for other spots instead of tape.

When I sprayed, I didn't spray away from the tape. I just held the model up by the stick in the nose and just tried to spray straight onto it. After slopping paint out of the airbrush cup a few times, I've learned to keep it at a more horizontal level. I've also learned to wear some old pants.

Chris

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Hey Chris,

She's coming on really well.  I just wish my painting errors looked as good as yours....

Stop it! I'm blushing! Either that or the beer and rum have finally given me old rummy-face.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at the picture of the RCAF early Hurricane and your leading edge wing roots has set me thinking about the upper/lower camouflage border around that spot. There seems to be an infinite variety of them, almost different in every photo I look at. More details to worry about!

Looking forward to seeing more progress - dare we hope for an RFI in 2020? :whistle:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking at the picture of the RCAF early Hurricane and your leading edge wing roots has set me thinking about the upper/lower camouflage border around that spot. There seems to be an infinite variety of them, almost different in every photo I look at. More details to worry about!

Looking forward to seeing more progress - dare we hope for an RFI in 2020? :whistle:

Regards,

Adrian

I'm not making any promises. After the paint gets fixed ( if I can ) there's still decaling and then clear coating. After that, it's adding the undercarriage, pitot and canopies.

Crap! I just remembered I haven't painted any of the undercarriage yet.

Hey, I did say at the start that my speed would be glacial.

Chris

• Like 4

While looking at my sanding supplies, I found these two packs of Flex-i-grit sheets. Some of these are quite fine, too. They may be useful when I try to remove the paint ridges. If I get the time to go downstairs to do anything! The missus has been a bit off with a bit of a cold ( it's not Covid ), so she keeps getting me to do/fetch things.

It's been a right pain in the nether regions!

50387824742_0368017f97_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

On 21/09/2020 at 17:36, dogsbody said:

I've already found a place in Ontario that has Mr. Hobby Aqueous paints. The paint colour numbers match the Aqueous paints I have. Maybe tomorrow, I'll order some.

Chris

Looking good Chris. Let me know how that Ontario thang works out. I tried Sunward and their "free" shipping but in the end, the "free" shipping doesn't include my area. I found a place in Japan that is cheaper than Canada, shipping included but we need our dollar to get up to $.80US. If I remember it worked out to under $3.00CAN per bottle, shipping included

47 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Looking good Chris. Let me know how that Ontario thang works out. I tried Sunward and their "free" shipping but in the end, the "free" shipping doesn't include my area. I found a place in Japan that is cheaper than Canada, shipping included but we need our dollar to get up to $.80US. If I remember it worked out to under $3.00CAN per bottle, shipping included

According to the tracking number, it should be here by Wednesday. 

Yeah, the shipping was a bit much. My order came to $47 and change, but the shipping is over $21.00. Oh well, such is life on The Backside of Beyond!

I used this place just because it was the first Canadian site that had Mr. Hobby and Mr. Color paints. There may be something closer, I just didn't look.

Chris

• Like 1

A wee update for those who have nothing better to do than to follow this glacially slow build.

I started to sand down the paint ridges, trying to be gentle. One ridge on the rudder was hard to get at with the sanding stick. I then had a rush of fecal matter to the brain!

I took a round wooden toothpick and cut off one end at an angle. I used that to rub the paint ridge and it almost totally disappeared.  I then went over the rest of the ridges and smoothed them out.

I then had another brain rush. I realized that I'm getting too tensed up and fretful about this build.

This is the closest I've come to completing anything in well over 35 years. If it ain't perfect, so what! Chill out.

I also realized that I'm looking at my Hurc with magnifiers on over my glasses. If a gnat had relieved itself on the wing, I could see it. At normal viewing distance, most of the flaws I can see would't show. Besides all of you gentlefolk here on this forum, probably no one else will ever see it. 

So, after my coffee and cookies, I'm going to go back and try to fix some of the other paint mistakes with a fine brush and thinned paint.

50391844872_3203933742_b.jpg

50390979453_d925d6e913_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 7

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I realized that I'm getting too tensed up and fretful about this build.

This is the closest I've come to completing anything in well over 35 years. If it ain't perfect, so what! Chill out.

Good plan Chris - she's looking good from here! :) 

• Like 2