Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

19 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Should that part really be painted brick red and not interior green?

/André

I'm not really sure. I don't have very much info on those early Hurcs, especially on interior colours. On their other rag-wing kit, they have the same colour callout for the armoured back panel. But on their 1/48 Hurricane, the callout is for Humbrol 78 Cockpit Green. Confusion reigns!

Chris

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Howdy, peeps! Another question, this one on paint colour. Airfix ask you to paint the un-armoured rear cockpit panel Humbrol 70 Brick Red. I don't have any and was wondering what might be a close mix, using Tamiya paints?

This has been discussed before

probably a misprint, and should read Humbrol 78,  note that the same instruction has a call for H156, a satin grey,  which is wrong.

There is mention of why brick red is possible,  which was a colour used for red dope primer,  this can be seen bleeding through fabrin inside the oldest surviving original Hurricane, in Finland.  has grey-green walls and back panel, the rest being aluminium paint.

HI Anders

There have been a few threads here on Hurricane internal colours.

The images Brendan kindly oposted are all of restored planes. the first image shows the plywood 'doghouse' well, this is later covered in fabric.

Worth noting that Hawker Restorations use aluminium for the tubework on their restorations.

The best example of an early Hurricane which has not been repainted is the Finnish one.

Photos show it with tubing painted with aluminium paint, as are the rest of the internals apart from the cockpit walls, including the seat. I don't think there was a photo of the inside of the metal panels just below the cockpit though [ the engine bay and gun bay panels are again aluminium inside]

The back panel Airfix refer to being 70 brick red is grey-green in the pics. The red dope bleeding through the fabric is well shown as well.

the best set of photos here are these - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/page-2#entry742480

On 9/4/2011 at 15:04, Kari Lumppio said:

Hello!

Thought I would share some of the photos result of a recent visit to the Finnish Air Force museum at Tikkakoski, near Jyväskylä, Finland.
( http://www.airforcemuseum.fi/ ). These should fit well under the thread title.

Hurricane Mk I HC-452 was there partly dismantled for some preservation and cleaning work. Paints on the aeroplane are original with few exeptions. Cockpit starboard panel has reportedly been painted after some repairs and quite likely the swastika markings have been repainted. They were - or should have been - overpainted after the war when the change for the current FinnAF cocade was made. The overpainting was done also on planes which had been written off, there is photographic proof of that.

The HC-452 interior colours were well visible with the state of the airframe then. Let's start a short walkaround:

Cockpit panels were generally Interior Green and the framework painted aluminium.

IMG-6596.JPG

Closer view of the cockpit. Note aluminum paint frames on the canopy and windshield.

IMG_6618.JPG

Turtledeck seen from the opening on the port side. One of the museum workers said that the Interior Green inside the turtledeck is most likely to be nearest the original condition. Fabric interior colour is red dope.

IMG_6631.JPG

Cockpit equipment on the port side.

IMG_6638.JPG

Something for those who like to analyse colours with computers. Genuine Pantone fan page with samples of pure yellow, magenta, cyan and black. White is also provided with the page.

IMG_6793.JPG

The seat has been painted with aluminium paint.

IMG_6682.JPG

Finnish Hurricanes arrived without the seat armour and got it only later in their career. The colour of the installed Hurricane armour looks to be British Interior Green, but it's pedigree is unknown to me as is the origin of the armour (British or Finnish-made?).

IMG_6686.JPG

Cowling panel interiors are also painted in aluminium.

IMG_6692.JPG

Off to the radiator. The inside of the radiator tunnel is painted aluminium with some light blue overspray.

IMG_6654.JPG

The radiator also has been painted in aluminium.

IMG_6681.JPG

To the wing. HC-452 RAF serial was N2394.
IMG_6664.JPG

Wing interior is also painted aluminium.

IMG_6658.JPG

Some original RAF Dark Green has survived on the center wing along with the original RAF underside white. These are seen on the left on the area covered by the metal strip when wing panels are installed. Dark Green and Finnish green are quite close. The difference is less on the image than I remember seeing on the real life, though.
Pantone pure black, cyan, magenta and yellow samples are provided too.

IMG_6696.JPG

I have not researched this aeroplane nor it's colours more than superficially. If you have more specific questions I think the best avenue is to contact the Finnish Air Force museum. Their homepage address is given above and their contact information is there, too. Thanks for the friendly museum personnell allowing to take these photos.

I hope this is of some use for someone,

Kari

this thread discuss internal colours http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932926-hurricane-detailing-question/

photos in this post - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932926-hurricane-detailing-question/#entry1215032

also

Reasonably early Hurricane, fabric wing, DH prop, wrecked in France, this a German ebay photo, posted up on the defunct LEMB.

post-1-0-45959600-1409947291.jpg&key=33e

if too many pics Chris, say so and I can edit them out.

• Like 9

Thanks All,

Thanks Troy !

One cannot have enough of these famous pics, the Hurricane knowledge grew bigger on each threads !

Mine are on their way too !

Really good job Chris and Trevor, I really enjoy ( and learn )

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks, Tony. Green it is then. Don't worry about the photos. There are never too many.

When in doubt, come to this forum with your questions. Ace is the place!

Chris

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Pictorial proof that I am slowly picking away at my Hurricane. It's warm weather again up here on The Backside Of Beyond and I've been kind of busy with lawn and garden choirs. Also, SWMBO has her items that need doing, either with me or by me. Then there are the quick trips downtown with her that end up taking two or more hours. As I've also become the people-mover for two daughters and one daughter's boyfriend that have retail jobs that start and stop at different times, it all keeps me away from my plastic-pit in the basement. Anyways, enough of my urinating & wailing, onto the picture!

27628913747_fa0f717166_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, fellow modellers. Today, I took a brave ( or foolish ) step and removed the moulded-in wingtip lights on my Hurc. The only problem is now I don't have any clear sprue near at hand that's of a proper diameter to fill the space. I used to have a plastic shopping bag full of old sprues but it was one of the first things to be tossed after the poo-water flood of 2016. Would there be a readily available, somewhat cheap source of clear plastic that could be used instead, or do I start going through all my kits looking for some good sized sprue?

Chris

Mmm...

What about the wheels om this kit. I knew that they are not five spoked as they should and that they are "too big" to fit in the bays.

But what about the five spoked replacement wheels from CMR (and Cora). Are they too big too?

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Hurricane-Mk.I-Fabric-Wing-Correction-Five-Spoke-Wheels-1-72-for-Airfix-kit.html

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Would there be a readily available, somewhat cheap source of clear plastic

I have heard people swear by toothbrush handles, but when you buy a shirt you get clear plastic clips. Also CD cases if it’s a thin enough wing.

Whatever you use, if you heat it over a flame and melt it a bit you can squish it into the cutout to get an exact fit. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Mmm...

What about the wheels om this kit. I knew that they are not five spoked as they should and that they are "too big" to fit in the bays.

But what about the five spoked replacement wheels from CMR (and Cora). Are they too big too?

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Hurricane-Mk.I-Fabric-Wing-Correction-Five-Spoke-Wheels-1-72-for-Airfix-kit.html

Cheers / André

Marabu has a little photoetch set of spitfire hubs, the bubs on the spitfire where the same size although the actual tires where smaller, i used these on this kit, and they work great, just drill or sand away the platic hub and overlay it with the pe part

https://www.marabudesign.com/spitfire-wheel-discs-p-166.html?osCsid=mo6guil8siiflor3hp3b9ebrofr2g5c4

also comes in handy for revel spitfires with their oversized hubs

DSC02535.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lunarhighway said:

Marabu has a little photoetch set of spitfire hubs, the bubs on the spitfire where the same size although the actual tires where smaller, i used these on this kit, and they work great, just drill or sand away the platic hub and overlay it with the pe part

https://www.marabudesign.com/spitfire-wheel-discs-p-166.html?osCsid=mo6guil8siiflor3hp3b9ebrofr2g5c4

also comes in handy for revel spitfires with their oversized hubs

DSC02535.jpg

But if one only changes the hubs the problem with to large tires is unsolved...

/André

• Like 1

I haven't measured the tires but visually they look ok to me. If they are the wrong size they don't look it on the finished model. For the wing tip lights I used microscale clear. I first added a little sprue bulb and than applied several coats of clear leaving each enough time to dry and schrink before applying the next building up the shape like that Depending on the effect on could paint a translucent color on one of those layers.

11 hours ago, Andre B said:

Mmm...

Cheers / André

I've got a set of Freightdog replacement 5-spoke wheels.

Chris

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've got a set of Freightdog replacement 5-spoke wheels.

Chris

Do they fit the wheelbays? The original ones with the kit doesn't...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

• 4 weeks later...

Just to prove that sometimes I do get the thumb out of it and actually do something on my Hurc. I have installed some scratch wing tip lights. This is my first ever attempt at this. Looks better than I thought it might. So far, they have only been buffed up with an extra-fine Squadron sanding stick. I figure a coat of Future should improve the look. Unfortunately, I have to run some errands so will get to that later.

28439070977_5fe3282db0_b.jpg

28439071007_e3b90ee7b1_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 10

Yes, they do look better with a little Future brushed on them.

41645555770_6b7479f42c_b.jpg

41645555820_0d41a3fd06_b.jpg

I just hope I don't go blind trying to remove the mould lines from the undercarriage legs.

Chris

• Like 8