Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

Hi.  Just read through this thread with interest having just completed the same kit but had no two blade prop, just the 3 blader (possibly because it was the gift set issue.. not sure). Apart from correcting the area behind rhe gunbay it was the only filler I used. Admittedly the wing join at the trailing edges was a bit thick I overcame it with careful pairing down and sanding post  joining.  As for the camo painting I use white tack sausages infilled between them with cheap DIY masking tape to mask out the colour to be kept and ready for the next colour.. No problems with getting those ridges that way!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Hi.  Just read through this thread with interest having just completed the same kit but had no two blade prop, just the 3 blader (possibly because it was the gift set issue.. not sure). Apart from correcting the area behind rhe gunbay it was the only filler I used. Admittedly the wing join at the trailing edges was a bit thick I overcame it with careful pairing down and sanding post  joining.  As for the camo painting I use white tack sausages infilled between them with cheap DIY masking tape to mask out the colour to be kept and ready for the next colour.. No problems with getting those ridges that way!!

Thanks, Paul. I saw your build and nicely done, it was. Whenever I get to another kit, I may try something like that method with masking. Part of my issue was too inexperienced with the airbrush and too much paint. I should have just given it a quick coat of DG, then waited for it to dry. Then I should have eyeballed it and given it a second coat where needed.

Chris

• Like 2

Great touch ups Chris, looking good now :) 

Read the details of the trips with interest - crikey, you are out in 'the sticks' aren't you?

• 2 weeks later...

A small update:

I got down to my room today and did a little Dark Earth touch-up with a brush. The last bit of paint is still a bit too thin for good brush work, so some more will be required before I move on to the Dark Green. I've been leaving the top off the the bottle of Dark Earth, to let the thinner evaporate, but it still needs a bit more. I don't want to over do it, as that is all I have of that particular bottle. I didn't take any photos as what I did wasn't worth showing. 

And it's frikkin' snowing again! 

It's gonna be another long winter!

Chris

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Still no painting update, as I haven't done any. The reason is, and I don't think I have ever read this on this forum or any other: I have to let the paint thicken.

The reason being is that all I have left of the G-S Dark Earth is some of the thinned stuff I used for airbrushing. Again, I have been a bit overwhelmed with other little jobs that the missus keeps finding for me to do. That and some snow removal. And my long-time fear of painting as that's where I usually eff it up badly.

However, I do have a little something I'd like to show you. I have observed the the early Hurricanes with the two-blade Watts propellers have a slight gap between the back of the prop and the front of the cowling. It's not easy to see as the photo needs to be nearly full side-on to the nose. 

This photo shows it a bit.

38927301685_ef3663624c_b.jpg

What I have done is to find a piece of plastic tube with a center hole big enough to fit the kit's prop shaft into. I the found a drill the same size as the tubing and used it to drill out the prop boss. I cut the tube and glued it into the boss, leaving enough space for the retainer end of the prop shaft. Then I sanded back the front end of the tubing that protruded forward until it left a wee gap behind the prop.

50602118643_1b11340bec_b.jpg

50602118658_b8d7ca7796_b.jpg

50602858971_15c8a1f19f_b.jpg

Whataya think?

Chris

• Like 15

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

However, I do have a little something I'd like to show you. I have observed the the early Hurricanes with the two-blade Watts propellers have a slight gap between the back of the prop and the front of the cowling. It's not easy to see as the photo needs to be nearly full side-on to the nose. 

This photo shows it a bit.

38927301685_ef3663624c_b.jpg

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Whataya think?

Interesting Chris.. I don't think I’ve ever seen that before. Do you think it is because there is no oil collector ring ? Your fix looks great though, and if I can ever build a two blade Hurricane will have to do the same thing to it. Makes for an interesting conversation piece. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have observed the the early Hurricanes with the two-blade Watts propellers have a slight gap between the back of the prop and the front of the cowling.

There's always a small gap there, but the significant gap you illustrate I've only really noticed on photo's in flight or on the ground with the engine running/throttled up. This could be the Merlin II had much larger clearances for the thrust bearing which allowed the propeller shaft to move forward in relation to the engine when power is applied, or the engine mounts for the Merlin II installation in the Hurricane allowed a greater degree of forward/aft ,movement than later installations, or a combination of both.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have to let the paint thicken.

you only need a touch up amount to brush?  Put a little, a few drops,.  in a pallete,  the much smaller amount of paint will allow a much faster evaporation of solvent, especially in a warm room.  

Obviously test on scrap top see if right consistency.

Thinking about it, Pity you didn't do two of these at the same time, and reserve one as a test piece,  at worst, you get a paint mule, at best, two Hurricanes,  it's not like the kit is hard to get or expensive (having seen a stack at the local Aldi this week at £5 each...) 

14 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Again, I have been a bit overwhelmed with other little jobs that the missus keeps finding for me to do. That and some snow removal.

Time to get a 'bad back' and have rest ;) 

Still, soon be proper snowed in up there,. get some time then?

cheers

T

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

There's always a small gap there, but the significant gap you illustrate I've only really noticed on photo's in flight or on the ground with the engine running/throttled up. This could be the Merlin II had much larger clearances for the thrust bearing which allowed the propeller shaft to move forward in relation to the engine when power is applied, or the engine mounts for the Merlin II installation in the Hurricane allowed a greater degree of forward/aft ,movement than later installations, or a combination of both.

About all I can find of a early Hurricane on the ground with the prop stopped and showing a gap is this photo of # 311. You can just make out the back of the prop hub.

50606266006_bc8214ac21_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

So, yesterday, I go down to the bunker, to do some paint touch-ups on the Hurc. I take a bit of the thinned paint out of the jar and let it set in a small, flat container for a few minutes. I get my smallest, softest flat brush and have a go at the lower starboard nose. It was going good until out of nowhere, there's a small bit of fluff in the paint. I had blown and wiped off the surface pre-painting. So I use a tissue to wipe it off. Then I smudged up the paint. I'm not as steady-handed as I used to be. I try another spot but the paint didn't dry smooth.

50618644447_c674717d8a_b.jpg

50618535631_bc3424d6cd_b.jpg

I'm almost out of the thinned paint and I don't have anymore of the G-S Dark Earth and nowhere to get anymore as I don't think it's still being made. The Mr. Hobby paint colour doesn't match.

50617799628_42ae2ae730_b.jpg

I'm seriously thinking of just putting this back in the box and starting something else. I've been at this kit for almost 3 years now.

I think I hear an Airfix Beaufighter beckoning me. I do have paint ( Tamiya ) and aftermarket decals to do an RCAF machine.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

As Mark said you’re nearly there.  The paintwork on these planes wasn’t uniform so perhaps you could blend some of the different shades if it comes to that.  I got a thumbprint in the paint on the fuselage of Park’s plane so I’m now going round in brown and green circles trying to put it right.

• Like 2

I'm with Mark and Andy Chris, it would be a crying shame if this went back on the shelf after all the progress you've made. The nose really doesn't look that bad and a light going over with some really fine micromesh or similar will sort out the wing root. As Mark says, strive for excellence, not perfection and your hurricane really is excellent!

Craig.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

your hurricane really is excellent!

@dogsbody Chris, Craig is absolutely right! This is a cracking build and it deserves to see the finish line! 

BTW, Craig, I really need to try out some micromesh!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

On 18/11/2020 at 22:42, dogsbody said:

I'm seriously thinking of just putting this back in the box and starting something else. I've been at this kit for almost 3 years now.

To quote a famous man:

"Don't give up
You're not beaten yet
Don't give up
I know you can make it good"

• Like 2

On 18/11/2020 at 21:42, dogsbody said:

I'm seriously thinking of just putting this back in the box and starting something else.

I think you’re being overly critical. Most of my models have blobs and scuffs far worse. Like the others have said, take a minute or three, let the paint harden, micromesh it a bit, and see if it needs further work. In my world, I would put it down to real world wear and tear, decal up, varnish and weather the thing. The varnish will probably hide the worst anyway. My French 1940 planes are mostly brush painted, and you can see they look a mess - until they get a dose of varnish from the airbrush and most of the brush marks magically disappear. Don’t ask me how, or why, but it works!

Get it on the shelf and admire it from a distance where you can’t see the microscopic flaws. :like:

• Like 4

Push through, you have done far too nice a job to let it beat you.

The paint is much better than on my last aeroplane (which I made a real hash of).

Once I popped on varnish and some weathering that one still turned out acceptable so I think there is plenty of hope for you!

• Like 1

Well, I've put out a request yesterday, asking for some G-S Dark Earth and I've already got a couple replies, one from Canada. They just need to see if they have that in their paint stash.

The main issue I'm having, besides sucking badly at brush painting, is that the thinned paint I have seems to be lifting the underlying paint, even though the Dark Earth was sprayed on over a month ago. If I can get some more, I'll try thinning it with some distilled water.

Chris

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

So, yesterday afternoon, my paint arrived in the mail, from Mike Dragon in Oregon. Of course it was in the mailbox for hours before I was out and checked and it was frozen solid. Overnight it thawed and I just opened it. Consistency is good and it's a very close colour match.

Now I just need to get some mojo back and attempt to do the corrections. I must admit that I haven't really been feeling the call of styrene and acrylics lately.

Hopefully, after Christmas and the usual slightly elevated imbibing, I'll get some jam back.

Chris

• Like 5

Nearly there Chris :)

And yes, we're in the same boat mojo wise :P  just don't use sharp implements directly after the imbibing.

The Hurri looks great, and it deserves a spot in the display.  No rush.

• Like 3