Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

Definitely looking good to me, too!

I know exactly where you're coming from with getting over-tense, 'cos I'm exactly the same. Which is pretty much why I gave up aviation modelling about 25 years ago: I was trying too hard, not achieving my own expectations and not enjoying what I was building. Result: complete disillusionment.

It's a fine line between trying to improve one's skills and make each build better than the last, and becoming mired in minuscule details which actually don't contribute an awful lot to the finished article. Spotting that line is still my biggest difficulty..... :) My better half says to me, "I thought this was supposed to be a fun hobby?"

Crack on, Chris, you're doing a really great job!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dogsbody said:

A wee update for those who have nothing better to do than to follow this glacially slow build.

I started to sand down the paint ridges, trying to be gentle. One ridge on the rudder was hard to get at with the sanding stick. I then had a rush of fecal matter to the brain!

I took a round wooden toothpick and cut off one end at an angle. I used that to rub the paint ridge and it almost totally disappeared.  I then went over the rest of the ridges and smoothed them out.

I then had another brain rush. I realized that I'm getting too tensed up and fretful about this build.

This is the closest I've come to completing anything in well over 35 years. If it ain't perfect, so what! Chill out.

I also realized that I'm looking at my Hurc with magnifiers on over my glasses. If a gnat had relieved itself on the wing, I could see it. At normal viewing distance, most of the flaws I can see would't show. Besides all of you gentlefolk here on this forum, probably no one else will ever see it. 

So, after my coffee and cookies, I'm going to go back and try to fix some of the other paint mistakes with a fine brush and thinned paint.

Chris

Coming along nicely Chris. I hope you don't have a decal disaster like I had on my Firefly!

Fingers crossed,

Roger

• Like 1

A small paint question. If i still have some paint that has been thinned for airbrushing, could I use that with a hairystick to do remedial touchup work, or should I just use less thinned paint. I do have Dark Green but my Dark Earth is all gone. Just yesterday, my mail order Mr. Hobby paint arrived but I'm not sure if it will match the older Gunze-Sangyo I used on the Hurc. It does have the same numbers on the bottles, so a match test is probably in order.

Old G-S:

46226056805_168d9dbc9f_z.jpg

New Mr. Hobby:

50398284607_e02436703b_z.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

If i still have some paint that has been thinned for airbrushing, could I use that with a hairystick to do remedial touchup work, or should I just use less thinned paint.

You can but may need more than a single coat, if I have to do that i put a little (half dozen drops) into a small cup or paint palette and let it sit for awhile. The thinner will evaporate some and thicken the paint up a little.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Just yesterday, my mail order Mr. Hobby paint arrived but I'm not sure if it will match the older Gunze-Sangyo I used on the Hurc. It does have the same numbers on the bottles, so a match test is probably in order.

I believe the newer jar of DE is slightly less reddish brown. Do test :) 

• Like 2

Paint test done. The Mr. Hobby colours don't match the G-S colours. Maybe I should have bought Mr. Color?

50398689861_7ea1f2858a_c.jpg

50398689886_f8f705f297_c.jpg

All paints got a double coat. Those Mr. Hobby paints are quite thin right out of the jar.

Chris

• Sad 2

That is just not fair. 

I would have been misslead, or missguided if so be misstakingly, in the same way. 

And same as you I am 5-10 days away from resupply.

I have taken notice.

Thank you for sharing! 

Zack

• Like 2

I'm back! 

Nothing to report, though. On Friday evening, I was told that I would be driving two daughters down to Edmonton for a 2-day shopping trip, as the wife was having allergy/sinus issues. So that's what I've been doing for the last few days. Just got back last night. I did get to the best hobby shops in the city, but didn't buy much as there wasn't a lot to choose from. I did pick up an ARMA Hurricane II and some Tamiya cotton buds ( these are great for airbrush swabbing ) but that was it.

50428332992_1a422b5e27_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

Hi Chris,

I'm certain you won't be disappointed with the Arma kit - I'm really impressed with them!

Of their Hurris, I think the Mk.II kit is marginally the better one - and if anything, they fit too well and even a thin coat of paint makes a bit of a difference.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Looks great from my point of view.  I would not sweat the paint ridges.  If you've already done a bit of gentle rubbing to get them smooth, that's fine, but please don't strip off your paint by mistake.  The real aircraft had hard camo demarcations.  With a little narrow-gauge brush touch-up (using your finest hairy stick), airbrush application of gloss clear-coat, decals, and a few coats of flat, all the ridges should practically disappear.

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Looks great from my point of view.  I would not sweat the paint ridges.  If you've already done a bit of gentle rubbing to get them smooth, that's fine, but please don't strip off your paint by mistake.  The real aircraft had hard camo demarcations.  With a little narrow-gauge brush touch-up (using your finest hairy stick), airbrush application of gloss clear-coat, decals, and a few coats of flat, all the ridges should practically disappear.

No paint will be stripped. I realized that I was looking at it through my magnifying visor and that no one else will ever see it that close. So yeah, a little touch up and some clear coats ( gloss for decals, then flat ) should help a lot.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! I got some time in my room. 

It's been a right pain trying to get back to my Hurc. I admit my mojo took a slump after my first airbrushing didn't turn out a good as I hoped. But everytime I think I'll go down and try some touchup,someone or something interferes.

One was a 3-day trip south, taking two daughters on a shopping trip. I was informed on a Friday night that I would be leaving early the next morning. SWMBO was having sinus issues and didn't want to go. I didn't get back until the Monday afternoon.

Then 10 days later, she and I were going to do a quick one day trip down to Costco, to lay in some bulk winter supplies. That turned into 2 day, as we spent the night a her sister's farm. Lucky, her husband, Larry, had some most excellent rum for me to try. Nice!

Just this past Wednesday, my youngest's boyfriend, who works for a small company that supplies valving and instrumentation to the various oil companies in the region, had the company pickup's transmission malfunction about 200km. south of town. The towtruck he called wouldn't bring him and a coworker back to town, due to Covid restrictions and a cab would have cost over $400.00!. So I went and got him. That filled in the whole afternoon

Then there's been fall yardwork and carrot harvest to be done. That's just the main things. There have been a multitude of other minor interruptions at other times.

Anyway, enough of my whining and complaining. I went down this afternoon and tried brushing some of my remaining Dark Earth. I found my softest and smallest flat brush and had a go. As this paint had been thinned for airbrushing, it was probably too thin for a hairystick, but it wasn't too bad. Next time, I'll let some of the thinner evaporate.

So I covered the green splotch on the fuselage side and hit a couple other small spots.

Before:

50373776941_92617f81a5_b.jpg

After:

50525957802_21be7c8a78_b.jpg

50525957837_a76868e68f_b.jpg

And there it is again! Now I have to go to the grocery store for supper supplies. It just doesn't end!

Chris

• Like 11

Really nice save with the paint work Chris, cant see where you brushed the paint at all.

Know what you mean with these little trips, I spent almost three years in Medicine Hat and my sister sent me a letter (remember them) saying she had discovered we had relitives in Didsbury, she'd looked at a map and it's not far from Medicine Hat! Only about four to four and half hours driving each way!

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 2

The paintwork is looking great, and you've done an excellent job on the DG overspray.

Hope the mojo is restored, and you can get some more time in at your bench. Those "trips" are major expeditions.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

The paintwork is looking great, and you've done an excellent job on the DG overspray.

Hope the mojo is restored, and you can get some more time in at your bench. Those "trips" are major expeditions.....

Cheers,

Mark

A 2-hour drive south of Fort McMurray, at the posted speed limit of 110 kph will put me at the farming hamlet of Wandering River ( population; 100 ). There is nothing but the boreal forest between the two. Another hour of driving, on an older, undivided highway, at 100 kph, if you're lucky, will put me at Athabasca ( population; 2900 ). 

It's another 2-hour drive to the city of Edmonton, where the hobby shops are. 

That's life in some parts of Alberta.

Chris

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

A 2-hour drive south of Fort McMurray, at the posted speed limit of 110 kph will put me at the farming hamlet of Wandering River ( population; 100 ). There is nothing but the boreal forest between the two. Another hour of driving, on an older, undivided highway, at 100 kph, if you're lucky, will put me at Athabasca ( population; 2900 ). 

It's another 2-hour drive to the city of Edmonton, where the hobby shops are. 

That's life in some parts of Alberta.

Chris

Hi Chris,

That's incredible - in the UK, we have absolutely no concept of those sort of distances! The vastnesses you mention seem unimaginable.

I have to say in some respects, I'm quite jealous of the seclusion, although I'd imagine the winters are difficult to say the least.

Kind regards,

Mark

29 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Chris,

That's incredible - in the UK, we have absolutely no concept of those sort of distances! The vastnesses you mention seem unimaginable.

I have to say in some respects, I'm quite jealous of the seclusion, although I'd imagine the winters are difficult to say the least.

Kind regards,

Mark

I've made trips to Edmonton and back in one day, though as I get older, they get a bit rougher to do. Winters can be rough to get through. Just in the last 10 days, our highest daytime temperature has been -2C. But our lowest nighttime temp has only been -9C, so not too cold yet.

50529023458_131e202f58_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I've made trips to Edmonton and back in one day, though as I get older, they get a bit rougher to do. Winters can be rough to get through. Just in the last 10 days, our highest daytime temperature has been -2C. But our lowest nighttime temp has only been -9C, so not too cold yet.

50529023458_131e202f58_o.jpg

Chris

But you guys are presumably equipped and prepared for those conditions, and just get on with it.

The UK is pathetic in winter - we get a weather forecast that says something like "monster freeze to hit the UK on Tuesday", we get half an inch of snow that turns to slush in ten minutes, and the whole ruddy country grinds to halt!

Rant over! :)

• Like 1

And this afternoon it gets up to +3C! The temp here goes up and down like a loose woman's undergarment! Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow with rain. 

Thank the deities for liquor!

Chris

• Like 2