Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

13 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice bench Chris wish mine was that tidy!

Hurricane looking good too your getting to grips with this airbrushing lark!

Roger

I'm trying. Right now it's the masking that's getting to me. 

Chris

• Like 3

Not much progress today. Just wasn't in the mood. I did do a search for the airbrush's holding bracket. Eventually did find it, on top of the spare parts organizer, under some other stuff.

50321614137_fd7900cf14_c.jpg

I also drilled out the back end of the venturi and mounted. It only sprang off onto the table four times. Luckily, I found it every time, but the last one took the longest search.

50321614112_fe3207720f_c.jpg

Coffee time!

Chris

• Like 11

The mojo's been a bit off lately and when I do think about doing something or somebody else interferes. I think part of it is the painting fear has crept back.

So I thought I would do a little work on the sundry parts. I took the prop out, to finish some sanding of filler between the blades and the spinner. I made a couple passes with the sandpaper when I spotted this:

50335351072_4ebbe87898_b.jpg

So I put a drop of Extra Thin on it and am now waiting for solidification.

50335193161_d907f87484_b.jpg

I was also thinking about what I would use to paint the yellow tips. I have this Humbrol Enamel paint, No. 24 Trainer Yellow. Is this a good colour?

50335351162_f459781ace_c.jpg

The only other paint that I have with a possible proper yellow is this stuff. I have no idea who made this, as it's many years old. I don't even remember when or where I bought it. I looked around my room, but can't find any printed stuff on this. It's obviously some acrylic, but that's all I know. There is an Insignia Yellow in it. Would this too, be viable alternative for prop tip yellow?

50335351137_244512d8f5_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Doing good Chris. I know your apprehension about spraying, its been haunting me for the 3yrs I've been spraying. I've got a ready to go Typhoon on the bench for 2 weeks and every time I go down to start, I just stare at it for a bit and then walk away. The stupid thing is, once I get to spraying, at the end I say, "Hell, that wasn't so bad"......every time. For prop tips I use this, nice, bright and to me the right colour

yriel-yellow-citadel-layer-large-IMG_314

• Like 2

Great fix on the prop Chris.

I use Hu24 for prop tips so I think that'll be fine. Edgar told us the tip is 4" (101.6mm) = 1/18" (1.41mm) in 1/72 so they don't show that much.

• Like 4

Thank you, gentlemen. 

Fubar, there is a little games store just a few hundred yards from where my butt is sitting right now, that has Citadel paints. I'll pop over tomorrow and have a look-see.

Ced, thanks for that measurement. I was going to ask about that soon, because I forget what it was and never wrote it down anywhere. I'll do that now.

CC, thanks for that offer. I'll see how my repair goes first. I'm glad I caught it when it was just a crack and not fully broken off.

Chris

• Like 3

Prop repaired. Gave it a little rub with a sanding stick and it looks good.

50338540823_4b592ee8a9_b.jpg

50338540868_115e5b98f0_b.jpg

Nothing else to report. It was fairly nice outside so I took the kitties out for a bit. Two cats, but one at a time.

Chris

• Like 7

I bit the bullet and sprayed the uppers Dark Earth. I think I was stressing a bit and rushed the mixing. A bit too thin, I think. Also, I didn't quite mix enough, as the lower starboard nose didn't get good coverage.

50346586646_934f4d1fe5_b.jpg

50346746772_ae5f014757_b.jpg

50345892838_d84517f295_b.jpg

50346586746_cc0f311530_b.jpg

50345895648_0809b7944b_b.jpg

One odd thing: When I open the jar of paint, it was only about half full. The paint wasn't thick and stirred up nicely. As far as I can remember, I've never opened that jar since I bought it years ago.

Chris

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Good stuff Chris. I frequently found that I would miss a few spots. My problem was lighting and I've just added a second LED on the other side of my booth

Yeah, I probably could do with some better lighting.  There is a bare 75 watt bulb in the ceiling, a 100 watt bulb above the table and whatever is in the magnifier ( 40 watt, I think. If the sun is in the right position the shine past the garden shed, I get a bit through the window above the table. Not ideal, but better that a kick in the cobblers!

Chris

• Like 1

So, nothing done the last couple days. Wednesday was Name That Tune night at the Tavern On Main. The missus and the two daughters who live in town always go and play. And we won!.

Yesterday, after a few small familial duties, I started digging my potatoes. Got about half of them dug. Will do the rest this afternoon.

50356749527_dcc5c47a63_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 9

Got a re-coat on the Dark Earth today. I didn't take any pictures, as it doesn't look that different. One thing I did notice is that the masking tape ( Tamiya ) has pulled away a small bit from the starboard leading edge. Of course, I didn't notice it until after the painting, while seeing how it looked. I guess I'll see how bad it is later.

Also, that was the last of my Aqueous Hobby Dark Earth. Only the deities know when I may have a chance to get anymore, even if it's Mr.Hobby paint.

I may have to start mixing Tamiya paints to get a good Dark Earth. 

Chris

• Like 2

So, I got the Dark Green paint out, to give it a stir, before masking up the Dark Earth. The paint looks good, but again, there isn't much in the jar. It's not like the binder has evaporated, leaving just thick pigment. What was in the jar stirred up quickly and isn't too thick, but the jar is only half full. I checked a couple more jars of my Aqueous paints and they also have low quantities. Is/was this normal for Gunze-Sangyo Aqueous? 

I'm sure glad I wasn't painting up a 4-engined bomber. I wouldn't have half enough paint to cover it. I guess after the Hurricane, I'll be using Tamiya, as that's all I can get up here. With Covid restrictions and us being cautious, I haven't been south to Edmonton for almost a year.

I have marked these three jars to show the level inside.

50368902863_50c58730e8_b.jpg

None of these jars have ever been opened before.

Chris

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

So, I got the Dark Green paint out, to give it a stir, before masking up the Dark Earth. The paint looks good, but again, there isn't much in the jar. It's not like the binder has evaporated, leaving just thick pigment. What was in the jar stirred up quickly and isn't too thick, but the jar is only half full. I checked a couple more jars of my Aqueous paints and they also have low quantities. Is/was this normal for Gunze-Sangyo Aqueous? 

I'm sure glad I wasn't painting up a 4-engined bomber. I wouldn't have half enough paint to cover it. I guess after the Hurricane, I'll be using Tamiya, as that's all I can get up here. With Covid restrictions and us being cautious, I haven't been south to Edmonton for almost a year.

I have marked these three jars to show the level inside.

50368902863_50c58730e8_b.jpg

None of these jars have ever been opened before.

Chris

The two or three I currently have were about 1/2 to 2/3rds full when I opened them. I think they do the same as Tamiya so you can pre-thin by adding thinner directly into the jar. Ive opened Tamiya paint jars which were completely empty so feel lucky you have paint in yours. I figured one of the employees at the wanna be hobby shop I bought them from used it and put it back on the shelf. Ive actually bought two jars like that from them a yellow and red. I don't buy paint from them anymore now. I either travel the 20 miles to the next closest wanna be, or mail order from sprue brothers or the like. 

Thanks, Dennis. So far, I kind of like this paint, though I think it goes by Mr. Color now. I guess I could check out any Canadian suppliers, to see if they'll send it by mail.

Chris

Nice work on the DE Chris - looks smooth to me :) 

Empty jars are weird eh? I guess Dennis has it right and someone is dipping into the pots, otherwise they wouldn't have the reputation they do? Who knows…

The paint lifting is a pain. I had a quick look back through the thread and couldn't see if you primed before paint?

Did you wipe down the model with cleaner? I usually wipe mine over with IPA (fnaar!) to remove any finger grease before I prime.

HTH

• Like 1