Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

So, when the compressor is running, but the airbrush valve is closed, I get almost 30psi. When the valve is open, put out about 12psi steady.

Hi Chris,

You would expect some drop in pressure when the valve is open. I usually get on the order of a 3 - 4 psi drop on my setup but my compressor does have a built in air tank. A drop of 18 psi seems excessive. This is pure speculation but maybe your compressor is only putting out 12psi? When the valve is closed, the hose is acting like a mini air tank and the compressor can charge that to 30psi. When the valve opens, the pressure drops to the 12psi the compressor is capable of putting out continually. I am no airbrush expert though so feel free to ignore this!

Craig.

• Like 1

Okay. A little more airbrush action today. I bought a couple new jars of Tamiya XF-16 yesterday, so I used one of those. Well shaken and thoroughly stirred.

Paint mix about 45% paint to 55% X-20A thinner, with maybe 1% Tamiya paint Retarder.

I think this came up quite nicely. Better than my first attempt with that old bottle of paint.

First try, almost 2 weeks ago:

50252462843_58fd0fcacd_b.jpg

Todays work: This photo was taken under florescent lighting:

50252462818_9b098c8868_b.jpg

This one was out on the back deck, in the shade of the fence:

50252462833_bbaf7a671e_b.jpg

One thing I did do differently was to put the thinner into the mixing jar first, then add the paint.

Am I actually getting a grip on this or is this just an example of the horseshoe up the butt luck?

Chris

• Like 6

Looks good to me Chris - smooooth! :) 

I use disposable pipettes to roughly measure the thinner first, then the paint and, in my gravity feed brush, use the pipette to suck up both and mix the paint a couple of times. YMMV!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Looks good to me Chris - smooooth! :) 

I use disposable pipettes to roughly measure the thinner first, then the paint and, in my gravity feed brush, use the pipette to suck up both and mix the paint a couple of times. YMMV!

I've got four ( maybe more somewhere ) old rubber-topped eyedroppers that I've been using. They seem to work okay.

I've also been using the glass container in this photo to mix the paint and thinner, mostly because it's easy to clean. As for the rest, I've got some dozens of those little cups that come on some cough medicines. Having 3 children provided me with a large supply of those that I've kept for years. The other items in the photo are from various makeup/beauty items the wife and daughters keep getting. I'll never run out!

50007040956_2b54bd45aa_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

While thinking about the up-coming masking of my Hurc, I remembered I had this bottle of masker. It hasn't been opened in years, so I gave it a shake. 

Still sounded fluid, so I opened it. Well, I tried to open it. I had to get the vice grips on the lid, to get some leverage., but I did get it open.

Wow! Does this stuff stink! It filled my room on moments. Spraying paint didn't smell up the room that bad. It's still liquid, so I guess it may still work.

50260073626_5f97eba703_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Wow! Does this stuff stink! It filled my room on moments. Spraying paint didn't smell up the room that bad. It's still liquid, so I guess it may still work.

Never used Gunze’s version myself, but have used Microscale’s liquid mask. I found the trick is two coats, if you go with one sometimes gravity will pull it down the sides and leave a bare spot at the crest of the canopy. Once you're done with painting a toothpick or plastic cocktail stick in a corner and a bit of tacky tape will do to pull it off. I left some on a Spitfire canopy fir 11 years in a box when I took my hiatus and it still came off so don't think it needs to come off 5 minutes after paint is dry.  Microscale also works good for masking fuselages as well if you're doing weathering stipple it on and pull it of after painting. Not sure if yours will but may be worth a try ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Wow! this masking crap is stressful! Three attempts and over 45 minutes, I got these two landing lights covered. Humped over the edge of the table, like a dog humping a football, barely breathing. Now my back hurts. I can hardly wait to do the wingtip lights.

50260023228_2f4a9fcdee_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Wow! this masking crap is stressful! Three attempts and over 45 minutes, I got these two landing lights covered. Humped over the edge of the table, like a dog doing a football, barely breathing. Now my back hurts. I can hardly wait to do the wingtip lights.

Chris

Maybe thats why I look like Quasimodo ? 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Wow! this masking crap is stressful! Three attempts and over 45 minutes, I got these two landing lights covered. Humped over the edge of the table, like a dog doing a football, barely breathing. Now my back hurts. I can hardly wait to do the wingtip lights.

Chris

Wingtip lights - that’s what white-tac I’d for...

• Like 1

Dang! Masking those wee wingtip lights is a right pain! Actual pain, too. My back aches. I've been hunched over the table, like an dog humping a football, but still can't get it right. It's like the little strips of tape won't stick to the lights. Is it too slippery because of the coating of Future? Maybe I'll have to try that old bottle of masking fluid.

Wait! I just remembered that I have an old sample bit of Parafilm somewhere. I got it from Squadron years ago, when I still did business with them. Maybe I'll try that.

Chris

• Like 1

Whack on a square of tape above and a square of tape below and don’t worry about it. You can always scratch off a bit of paint later!

I think you are a bit stressed out - you will be surprised at how good your finish will look.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I just glue the landing lights on after. I promise I'm not lazy...just not patient enough to mask as I can never seem to get it right! Somehow I've still ended up with the hunched over backache! 😄

Good improvements Chris. I got a small air compressor from Canadian Tire last year, 99$ and it came with an airbrush which is probably crap. For measuring paint and thinners I use 1ml syringes purchased from Pharmasave and Shoppers Drug Mart. They come 50 to a pack. As a 1:48 only builder, these are plenty big enough so definitely big enough for 1:72. Be prepared to get looks from the pharmacist when you explain what they are for  and a lot of looks from people on the street as you walk by them with 100 syringes. You can get them with the pointy parts if you wish and depending on the diameter, these can be used for cannon barrels

George

Edited by fubar57
Freakin' typos, man
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 11:36 PM, dogsbody said:

I forgot to mention that when the compressor is running but the airbrush isn't, the gauge shows about 30psi. It drops to 12 to 15 when spraying.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Been following your build for some time and share your anxiety when it comes to that moment when the final painting sessions are about to start.
My 1/48 Airfix Hurry has been waiting for that moment to come for almost one year now 😐, distracted by the dreaded crown but no longer.

I suggest you get yourself a compressor with a tank. When I came back to the hobby 30 years ago I started off with no gear at all, and airbrushing was as new to me as the multi media kits. Back in the 70ies we were enjoining crome plated sprues at best...
So I got myself an airbrush and a compressor and 30 years  later both have been replaced, the airbrush because it was crap and the compressor because it could not make my new airbrush justice. 
The new compressor came with tank, a pressure regulator and a moisture trap, $70 in the "not so fancy" hardware store. Bit noisy but so are the neighbors kids...

Keep up the good work and mix yourself some of that Captains stuff with a bit of sparkling sugar-water, suggested mix ratio would be 60 to 40% or until a very watery mix ;)

Very best regards
Zack

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff G said:

I just glue the landing lights on after. I promise I'm not lazy...just not patient enough to mask as I can never seem to get it right! Somehow I've still ended up with the hunched over backache! 😄

This kit didn't come with separate light pieces for the wingtips. I made them from some old clear sprue. 

13 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Good improvements Chris. I got a small air compressor from Canadian Tire last year, 99$ and it came with an airbrush which is probably crap. For measuring paint and thinners I use 1ml syringes purchased from Pharmasave and Shoppers Drug Mart. They come 50 to a pack. As a 1:48 only builder, these are plenty big enough so definitely big enough for 1:72. Be prepared to get looks from the pharmacist when you explain what they are for  and a lot of looks from people on the street as you walk by them with 100 syringes. You can get them with the pointy parts if you wish and depending on the diameter, these can be used for cannon barrels

George

I've got these:

45469452762_df88898425_c.jpg

50282723731_bac3204eac_c.jpg

I've got a few more plastic syringes that you could get to give children various medicines orally. As a man that had 3 of them, I've acquired a bunch.

Chris

• Like 2

Okay! The Parafilm worked! Only took two tries ( well, three actually, as there are two lights ). While I was at it, I masked up the undercarriage bays ( previously painted and weathered ) and the radiator faces. I through some tape over the cockpit, just in case. Then I suddenly remembered to glue the rudder on, before I start to paint.

As it's really wet and soggy here today, I'll wait to paint on a more dry day. Also, I have to go out to do some other familial duties.

50283700192_6b30f3f7a9_b.jpg

50282869113_bd23115f6a_b.jpg

50283700297_9fdcd1487d_b.jpg

50282869198_41f6bfffa0_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 11

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Masking mastery! Looking forward to the paint Chris :) 

Later today, maybe. The frikkin' rain and wind has finally stopped, the sun is out and the temperature is up into the double digits.

Chris

• Like 1

Well, with just a bit of fear and some major sphincter-twitch, I sprayed the undersurface of my Hurricane! Not great, but better than I expected.

There are a few areas that got too much paint ( red circles ). The two on the wings I noticed right away. I quickly grabbed some paper towel and gave it a quick wipe and a re-spray. It left a bit of edge from the wipe. Maybe a little buff after fully drying and a respray. From a little distance, it looks better. 

I think I need a coffee now.

50291968511_d77955eb67_b.jpg

50292115807_fbe7eb35f9_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 5