Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

On 2/15/2019 at 10:59 PM, dogsbody said:

Guess I'm off the likker 'til I'm off the drugs.

Chris

Looks like we've drilled down to the real root of the problem here then eh Chris!!!!

Got my MRI date through on Saturday, it's for Tuesday week. Trouble is a need to have a battery of blood tests to check Creatin and Kidney function as they're sticking dye in me for the scan and if the results aren't back in time I'll get turned away and go to the back of the queue again! Stupidly (stupid as I expected all the ducks to be in the right row) I turned up for the blood tests a couple of weeks back after verbally being told about needing them at my last consultation but no request form had been submitted so I got turned away from that.

Now the fly in the ointment is I need to go to A&E tomorrow to get the test done but tonight I'm off to sunny Southend to see the Kaiser Chiefs and I'm staying in a Wetherspoons pub overnight so fear my blood sample may be, how can I put it, a little bit "tainted" tomorrow!

Need the likker tonight as was in goal for a 15-0 defeat to an ex-semi-pro side yesterday and just picking the ball out of the net that many times was an assault on my verterbrae let along the other relentless goalkeeping that needed to be done.

Chins up boys, it must get better!

• Haha 2

Interesting to hear you say that... where I work, if you turned up and your bloods are over a few months we can do a quick easy blood test there and then. After that, the decision to proceed with or without contrast can then be made and appropriate aftercare applied. Even if you’ve had a transplant or existing kidney problems, though in that case you should be closely monitored anyway!

• 2 months later...

Hey, peeps! I know I haven't posted anything for quite a while and that's because I haven't done much. As I near the main painting stage, my usual fear and trepidation has kicked in. This is where I usually stop working on a kit, but I'm going to try and work through it this time. I finally got to go south last week, about 2 months after I thought I would get there, and I did get a bottle of Mr Color Leveling Thinner to use with my Aqueous paint. I just have to decide whether to use the airbrush or the hairy stick.

Anyway! Today's question: If I were to make a small base, so as to display my Hurc, is there a ready-made type of grass mat that could be used for 1/72 scale. Perhaps something from the model railroad crowd?

Chris

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

is there a ready-made type of grass mat that could be used for 1/72 scale

For something that is ready-made, I'd search for something like a wargame mat.

Stuart

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Anyway! Today's question: If I were to make a small base, so as to display my Hurc, is there a ready-made type of grass mat that could be used for 1/72 scale. Perhaps something from the model railroad crowd

Yes you can buy grass mats in many hues and colours..  Model Railway shop is the way to go, I think you can buy it by the roll or individual A4 sheets..

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Next trip south, I'll be hitting the shops. With warmer weather slowly getting here, I'll probably be making more trips.

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 3:20 PM, dogsbody said:

Thanks guys. Next trip south, I'll be hitting the shops. With warmer weather slowly getting here, I'll probably be making more trips.

Chris

Hey Chris, how the health situation and maybe giving some love to your Hurri will help...😉 Its 34C here so I guess it's just over 0C in Alberta, positively tropical for you folk, you'll be down to one layer of thermal underwear:rofl2: PS if there's no update on the model, post a picture of the Magnificent Muppet, after all that's what the internet was invented for 😼

Anil

4 hours ago, azureglo said:

Hey Chris, how the health situation and maybe giving some love to your Hurri will help...😉 Its 34C here so I guess it's just over 0C in Alberta, positively tropical for you folk, you'll be down to one layer of thermal underwear:rofl2: PS if there's no update on the model, post a picture of the Magnificent Muppet, after all that's what the internet was invented for 😼

Anil

We had some 30C days at the end of May and early June, but then the monsoon season hit us so it's been rainy and cloudy since then with temps between 15C and 25C. It will get hotter with July and August. Possibly even into the low 40C's.

Chris

No, not hangered. Just sitting there on the table, waiting for me to get the balls up to paint it. That's the part that always gets me. I am working slowly to get there. I have paint, thinner, airbrush ( though barely any practice using it ) and new paint brushes.. It's so easy to screw the whole thing up at this stage. Also the weather has been quite wet and windy here the last month. There have been other little things that keep getting in the way, too, and not letting me get the time downstairs that I'd like. This week I've been in the process of buying a new pickup truck, but I get that tomorrow. New wheels to ride!

And I've also been waffling over the paint thing. I could do it by hairystick, like I did back in the 70's, but no one wants to see that! 

Member @nsmekanik and I have been messaging each other concerning this paint issue of mine and he's offered some ideas and encouragement so we'll see.

Chris

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, dogsbody said:

And I've also been waffling over the paint thing. I could do it by hairystick, like I did back in the 70's, but no one wants to see that! 

Chris

Man I  have to positively avoid hitting my spraying room every day, I'm in luuuurrve with me airbrushes and guns, If you be going hairystick, gaze ye upon @PlaStix  wondrous insight

Your only issue would be Revell paints which can be  pain to  source your way but there many alternatives. Tip: glycerine is cheap and the common ingredient in all decent acrylic retarders that helps kill brush marks by slightly slowing drying time and letting surface tension level kick in, see, its science baby!

Me? I tried brush painting once, ended up as a load of Pollocks ( drum roll )

A

Thanks for the video. I have Tamiya acrylics and retarder thinner. I also have Aqueous acrylics, Mr Color Leveling thinner and 3 different acrylic retarders. I have a lot of Humbrol and Humbrol Authentics and Humbrol thinner, so I'm good for paint. Now I just need the ability to use it properly.

Anyway, I picked up my new truck today, so that's one thing off the list that have kept me occupied and not at the kit. But, the weather has finally cleared up so now I have day worth of lawn and garden care to keep me busy. In about a week, I'll be helping my youngest daughter and her boyfriend move into the house they just bought. 

No rest for the wicked!

Oh, my new wheels.

48216514707_3c5cc40f36_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Hi-de-ho  everyone! I know's it's been a long time since my last posting. The kit hasn't been binned or boxed, but still sits in stasis on the table. I have been thinking about the painting phase and how to proceed. The weather up here this summer has been CRAP! There have been few clear hot days. Lots of cloudy and cool days with many ( too many ) rainy days. This has officially been the wettest summer up here since 1973. 

As for being Uber-dad, my oldest now has over a year of driving experience and use of our old car. Her boyfriend now has his driver license and a car his mum bought him. My youngest daughter and her boyfriend have bought a house about a 10 minute drive away. I still drive her to and from work but now she's the only one.

About all I have to do now is dig my potatoes and pull the carrots. Then the yard work will be done until next spring. Hopefully I'll have something worth showing in my next posting here.

Chris

• Like 5

On 7/6/2019 at 6:13 PM, dogsbody said:

Thanks for the video. I have Tamiya acrylics and retarder thinner. I also have Aqueous acrylics, Mr Color Leveling thinner and 3 different acrylic retarders. I have a lot of Humbrol and Humbrol Authentics and Humbrol thinner, so I'm good for paint. Now I just need the ability to use it properly.

Anyway, I picked up my new truck today, so that's one thing off the list that have kept me occupied and not at the kit. But, the weather has finally cleared up so now I have day worth of lawn and garden care to keep me busy. In about a week, I'll be helping my youngest daughter and her boyfriend move into the house they just bought. 

No rest for the wicked!

Oh, my new wheels.

48216514707_3c5cc40f36_b.jpg

Chris

Hello its a Ford 👍🏻... I knew you were one of the good ones. 

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello its a Ford 👍🏻... I knew you were one of the good ones. 

My first Ford since 2001. That's when I bought a new GMC Sierra. After that a Chevy Silverado, then another Sierra. But the old dealership owner retired and left the business to his 2 kids. They sold it to another GM dealer from southern Alberta. They then moved to the other end of the city. They also don't really treat their long-time customers as nicely as the old dealer did. So, I went down to the Ford dealership, which is exactly a 5 minute drive from where the truck above is parked and leased this one.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Today, while using my magnifier lamp and my sprue nippers to trim an annoying hangnail, I dropped the nippers and just missed the Hurricane! I mean just missed, by maybe 2 millimetres! I still haven't quite unpuckered yet. 

As I haven't worked on it for quite a while, I have decided to put it in the box and set it aside, out of harms way. I always seem to freeze up when I get to the painting stage. I'm thinking of starting something else to help keep the mojo working. As I'm fighting a cold and with winter now here and the holidays season soon on us, I'll let you know what I decide. 

Chris

• Like 1

I know what you mean about the paint stage Chris. I will go downstairs about 5-6 times with full intentions of throwing on some paint but in the end I walk away. And then I'll say screw it and paint. After that I'll think to myself "Why did I wait so long?" That's with every model since I started airbrushing 3 years ago

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

FINALLY! I've found some time mojo to continue with this. I finally have my airbrush set up and I found a small fan that will fit in my basement to help extract fumes and smells from my room. Just a few minutes ago, I sprayed some Tamiya canned primer on my paint mule. As soon as that dries and I finish washing the dishes, I'll start practicing.

50163509358_cafb8be1b6_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 8

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I sprayed some Tamiya canned primer on my paint mule. As soon as that dries and I finish washing the dishes, I'll start practicing.

Good man :clap: sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

A test mule (or two) is actually perfect for finding out the mixing balance, and how weather influences painting. 
Apart from testing, practicing, and matching colours of course ;)

• Like 2

Well, my first try at using the airbrush hasn't turned out that great. I set it up, already to go and mixed up a bit of paint. I used some Gunze Sangyo Aqueous thinned about 50% with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. I was spraying onto a white file card, but I was barely getting any paint and then the paint cup fell out onto the floor. Luckily I'm in the basement on a concrete floor. I cleaned everything up and cleaned the airbrush. I then mixed a different colour of G-S and tried that. That worked a bit better but there was very little paint. I probably could have done some 1/72 Luftwaffe snake camo but I'd be weeks trying to do a base coat. So I recleaned everything again. I did put some 99% IPA into one of the paint jars and sprayed that through the brush. That seemed to go through the brush better and did clean paint out of it.

I have since come upstairs for my afternoon coffee and cookies. Will try again anon.

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Whats size needle Chris ? 

Don't know. It came with 2 but they both look to be the same size and there nothing marked on them. This is it.

50171995122_59d4164cde_b.jpg

Chris

Ok did a little digging I think it has .2 and .3 needle but not 100% sure badger has so many A/B kits. Try thinning the paint to a 70% thinner to 30% paint mix and try spraying multiple light coats to build the color up. Gunze works great but needs to be a water like consistency as I'm relearning myself. I haven't been able to get Gunze for years and last year a source finally showed up. I also texted the man that taught me how to use A/Brushes. He's been spraying through a badger since the early 80’s. If he doesn't know then id be afraid. 

* note= use a higher pressure until you find the sweet spot with gunze paints. Im finding 15-20 PSI seems to work through both my .2 & .5 needles. But i need to thin down too a very watery mix. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1