Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

The Humbrol 30 you get for Dark Green is known to be wide of the mark (why does Airfix persist using this in starter sets?). The paints themselves aren’t too bad I’ve found and can be used for touch-ups and minor detailing. 

I did my first Luftwaffe plane in years not too long ago (their 1/72 109E) and not having any RLM paint used the potlets with pleasing results.

38696942284_f870040e5d_b.jpg

Trevor 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Sorry to hear about the intake woes. Coming back to the wing, could you not sand a bit off the lower fuselage recess where it joins the wing, hence letting the wing sit a bit further up?

Regards,

Adrian

I haven't done much on the Hurc since I lost the carb intake. My mojo dropped off after that. Also there have been other things taking up my time. I have been thinking along the same line you mention and may just try that out. I recently realized that when dry-fitting the wing, there is a bit of rocking between the front and the rear. There is definitely a slight high point there somewhere. I just need to check it out better and do a bit of sanding/scraping.

I just received two other Hurricane kits from Hannants and Procopius has sent me an extra intake. So either way, I'm back on track to finish this one. I just hope to get to the painting part before it gets too cold outside. I may use some rattlecan paint if I'm able or maybe I'll man-up and try the airbrush. If that doesn't pan out, I'll brush paint it. I've got various brands of paint to try out.

Chris

Mojo back on track!

The intake Procopius sent me arrived today, It has a bit of the sprue attached to it, so filing, filling and sanding were accomplished without it being put into a clamp.

That point has been added to my learning curve.

I have added the cockpit floor area to the wing centre section and did a bit of scraping and sanding to get a better fit to the fuselage.

Onward and upward!

Chris

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More progress! Today, I took the bold move and joined the wing to the fuselage. I also added the landing lights to the wing.

These are going to need a bit of filling and sanding to get a nice look. Any suggestions on what to use? White glue? Carpenter's glue? I'm open to ideas.

43741061574_75a2fcdf8c_b.jpg

43741061624_c820945b80_b.jpg

43741061644_70bfe2f46c_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
Cant spell
  • Like 5

pva (white glue) from the hardware store.  Here we have Bunnings -"Everything you need for your project".  What a dump, I prefer the hardware store pre Bunnings.

The model is looking really good.

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 12:46 AM, dogsbody said:

More progress! Today, I took the bold move and joined the wing to the fuselage. I also added the landing lights to the wing.

These are going to need a bit of filling and sanding to get a nice look. Any suggestions on what to use? White glue? Carpenter's glue? I'm open to ideas.

Hey Chris, when I did mine, I used odorless superglue (non fogging) as a glue & filler, then sanded/polished like you did with wing tip lights. Masking is a breeze as its simply a rectangle. BTW while you're there, drill out the gun ports, they'll look way better.

30677500418_9eb65d480d_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/7/2018 at 2:38 PM, azureglo said:

Hey Chris, when I did mine, I used odorless superglue (non fogging) as a glue & filler, then sanded/polished like you did with wing tip lights. Masking is a breeze as its simply a rectangle. BTW while you're there, drill out the gun ports, they'll look way better.

30677500418_9eb65d480d_b.jpg

Thanks. I was kinda thinking along that line but thought it best to see what others might do. I’m leaving the guns as they are and will be covering them with a strip of decal to look like they are taped over.  The RCAF didn’t do a lot of gunnery before they got into the fight.

Chris

• Like 2

Today I dug out some of the girls old Lego and made a jig to fit the tailplanes. The starboard one fit snugly but the port one was a bit loose, hence the need for a jig.

44698176362_15e20b8d7f_b.jpg

While I had it in that position, I took a couple cockpit shots, just to see how it looked. As I'll be fitting the canopy in the closed position, I guess it will pass muster.

44698176372_0f6631d229_b.jpg

44698176392_c9afd5d524_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 8

Hi-de-ho peeps! Another question for you masters of models. As it's getting into cold weather up here ( at 3:00 pm it was up to 3C ), I guess I won't be using my Tamiya rattlecans to paint my Hurc on the back deck. I have a couple option for painting:

Option 1: brush paint it with either an acrylic ( Tamiya, Gunze Sangyo, Polly Scale/Polly S ) or my old Humbrol Authenics.

44091206514_1bf4d01e8e_b.jpg

Option 2: I break out the airbrush and attempt that. It's a Badger 150 IL. I used it once over 25 years ago, so my experience is zip! If I go this route, I thought I'd use Tamiya paint. I have colour mixes to get good colour, paint retarder and Tamiya thinner. I also have an old, small filter/fan unit. It's probably not the best but better than a boot to the man-vegetables.

30939782028_be637c0f31_b.jpg

30939781988_578e89c3b3_b.jpg

I'm leaning toward the airbrush.

Any advice any of you may have will be gratefully appreciated.

Chris

• Like 3

Just caught up on this one. A very nice build so far. I did one of these earlier this year, completely OOB. Your refinements look great. I airbrushed mine and would recommend you do the same. I used Tamiya acrylics and they went on well.

My RFI is here

I found this a delightful model to build

Go for it!

Terry

Thanks, Terry. Yes, I looked at your build as soon as you posted it. That came out really nice.

Just because I was using my phone camera, I tried a couple cockpit shots. Here they are.

29874202367_f53f2e87e3_z.jpg

29874202387_f3a6c25b50.jpg

Chris

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Option 2: I break out the airbrush and attempt that. It's a Badger 150 IL. I used it once over 25 years ago, so my experience is zip! If I go this route, I thought I'd use Tamiya paint. I have colour mixes to get good colour, paint retarder and Tamiya thinner. I also have an old, small filter/fan unit. It's probably not the best but better than a boot to the man-vegetables.

No contest, airbrush wins every time, I'm doing 1mm mottles freehand (see here) an I'm hardly an expert. Mind you I use Mr Hobby/Mr Color paint & leveling thinner (plus a face mask as its probably a WMD by now). Acrylic paint with acrylic thinners can be a pig, spatters, tip drying, thinner ratio etc. , practice first and check your airbrush still works and has its seals intact.

BTW you should get a face mask even for Tam paint, safe it ain't, breathe enough of it as an airborne mist and your franks and beans will be the last thing you need to worry about...

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

No contest, airbrush wins every time, I'm doing 1mm mottles freehand (see here) an I'm hardly an expert. Mind you I use Mr Hobby/Mr Color paint & leveling thinner (plus a face mask as its probably a WMD by now). Acrylic paint with acrylic thinners can be a pig, spatters, tip drying, thinner ratio etc. , practice first and check your airbrush still works and has its seals intact.

BTW you should get a face mask even for Tam paint, safe it ain't, breathe enough of it as an airborne mist and your franks and beans will be the last thing you need to worry about...

No worries. I bought one with filters years ago. It's still sealed in a big Ziploc bag.

Chris

1 hour ago, Stealthman said:

Interior Green. 

Yep. Did it in I.G.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Chris I use general purpose thinners (acrylic thinners used in the automotive industry).  You can use it with all your paints - acrylic and enamel.  4 litres cost me < $25.00 from a proper paint shop not bunnings.  There it is > $25.00.

I bought a cheap airbrush from the LMS in Lismore for $60.00 same airbrush from evilbay $15.00.  It lasted 6 months the thinners ate the seals.  I then bought a Harder and Stennbeck  (I don't know how to spell the name and am too lazy to look) Infinity, it has replacement parts and it will last me a lifetime.  I didn't want to buy chinese, japanese or french (I thought paasche was french) airbrush.  I also have a paasche which I bought to paint the Concorde.

It is recommended that you thin you paint to the consistency of milk, I thin a little more.  

Any how you model is looking really good.

If the 3.00pm temperature here reached 3 deg Cel we all would drop dead, too cold for me.

I have a Revell Sea Hurricane to build and wasn't starting it until I have finished what is started.  Bugger it it will get started today.

Stephen

• Like 1

There's been no movement on the build. A week ago yesterday, I drove down to Edmonton (450km.) to help my daughter and her boyfriend move to a new apartment. I didn't get back home until Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday afternoon, soon after having some lunch, I started getting pains in my stomach area. It got quite intense over the next hour or so. I did managed to lay down and sleep for just over an hour. When I awoke about 5:30 pm, I felt a lot better, but within about 15 minutes, the pains returned. As I was home alone, I got a bit frightened. I then started to get hot and felt a bit weak. I called the paramedics and they came and took me to the hospital. It turns out that I have gallstones and will need to have my gall bladder removed. Feeling much better now but I haven't been to the hobbyroom very much. Not too sure about the coming week, either. Awaiting a call from a doctor and have to go to a local clinic for some test and report back to my own GP. And it's snowed about 2 to 3 inches during that time.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Sad 3