Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

The wing roots of my Hurc don't seem to be fitting well up against the fuselage. Could this be from scraping down the the inside of the wings, to get a thinner trailing edge?

If so, oh bother!

41765937620_34baa2138c_b.jpg

41765937650_8e05f9f77e_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

Hi Chris 

Good work so far.  The wing lights look great. I thinned down the rear egde of the wings on my Oxford only to have to pack them out again. However yours don't look too far out so as someone said above a bit of filler and you will be sorted. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Thanks. I may try a thin shim of plastic and cover it with Mr. Surfacer 1000, as that's about all I have right now. Most of my other putties/fillers have succumbed to old age.

Chris

• Like 1

I took a look in my Hurricane (I also thinned the trailing edge). And my opinion is that it hadn't been bether if the trailing edge hadn't been thinned...

Cheers / André

• Like 1

CRAP ON A CRACKER!!

While removing the mould seams from the carburetor intake, I noticed a couple small dimples, one on each side. I thinks to meself " I'll just put that in one of my small clamps so I can get to both sides. " A great idea for about five seconds. I put it in the clamp and PING! Off it goes. It did hit my chest, but dropped to the chair before I could grab it. I heard it hit the floor, but I can't find it. I got a brighter light and re-scanned the floor again from close-up, laying on the floor. But alas, no joy. Even the missus came and looked, but no part. Right now, I'm upstairs having a coffee and a cookie, while I calm down. Later, I'll go back and carefully start moving things around and do a more thorough search. If unfound, then I guess it reduce for reuse and find another kit to start.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Sad 1

You lost the carb intake ?

I think that I might have some resin ones, let's show the one you want !

In my Hawker factory, I can surely help !

So do not hesitate to PM me !

I hope that you will retrieve it

Sincerely.

CC

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

You lost the carb intake ?

I think that I might have some resin ones, let's show the one you want !

In my Hawker factory, I can surely help !

So do not hesitate to PM me !

I hope that you will retrieve it

Sincerely.

CC

This part. I moved some stuff around and did another search, but nothing yet. Still got some more searching to do.

28810939837_69465c6a9b_b.jpg

28810939887_016569152b_z.jpg

41892138820_ff7f56d5b1_z.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Oh nasty, I'll have a look under my desk as it may have landed there, it's amazing what I find under there that I have no idea where it came from when i can't find what I'm looking for........

I think you could carry on with your build no worries as at least its one of those bits that can be added long after it's finished with only a minor touch up to the paint. 

You my be slow but at least you finish which is a much greater track record then mine at the moment. Looks really well done so far :)

Edited by nsmekanik
  • Like 1

Hello Chris,

Don't you worry, I have a resin part and will make a mould

So I can send you an old Airfix one or an Italeri one (it's a 2 parts thing)

Now it's up to you, if you want it done quickly, I send one of the 2 plastic ones

If you have the time my own resin parts will be ready in September

Because I have to buy some resin and I can't buy it right now.

Let me know if I can help !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Chris,

Don't you worry, I have a resin part and will make a mould

So I can send you an old Airfix one or an Italeri one (it's a 2 parts thing)

Now it's up to you, if you want it done quickly, I send one of the 2 plastic ones

If you have the time my own resin parts will be ready in September

Because I have to buy some resin and I can't buy it right now.

Let me know if I can help !

Sincerely.

CC

That is a generous offer. I have asked about a replacement from Airfix and just waiting for an email reply. I know that lately, they haven't been that good at supplying spares but you have to check, just in case. Today, I'll conduct another search of the room using a stronger light. There's also more stuff to move around and look under. I will continue with the build. At the pace I've been moving on this build, September seems about right. I'll let you know.

Chris

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nsmekanik said:

Oh nasty, I'll have a look under my desk as it may have landed there, it's amazing what I find under there that I have no idea where it came from when i can't find what I'm looking for........

I think you could carry on with your build no worries as at least its one of those bits that can be added long after it's finished with only a minor touch up to the paint. 

You my be slow but at least you finish which is a much greater track record then mine at the moment. Looks really well done so far :)

Yes, I will continue. I'll conduct another search later. It's supposed to be another hot day here, so laying on the concrete floor in the basement is a good way to stay cool. I've been in that basement room since 1996. I've dropped lots of things under that table, large and small, but I've  always found them. Why this one is being so difficult, I can't explain.

Chris

• Like 1

Well, as per their usual reply, Airfix doesn't have a replacement carb intake. They might as well close up that department and layoff those employees, if they already haven't.

Just makes me want to use a bunch of really bad cuss words. Oh wait! I did use those really bad cuss words. The missus came in and asked what had me so PO'ed now?

Chris

I feel for you on your missing part. I was building a Just 87 G-2 a few weeks ago. I was close to finishing and painted the canopies just before I went to visit my daughters in Australia for a few weeks. When I returned I finished everything that needed done and went to put the center section of the canopy on only to find it had disappeared. I had to break into another  kit for a replacement. To this day I can't work out where it went. It is too big for the carpet monster to eat. Then to make it worse the last thing I added was the wing light only to have it disappeared into the wing. I fixed that with some miroclear which worked well. One day I will find that canopy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris, just a thought. I remembered an old paint mule was a Revell Hurricane and wondered if it had the carb intake and lo and behold:

P1010276

And I I hadn't glued it on! Apart from some Vallejo black painted in the recess, its good to go. I can snail mail this to you and it takes circa 7 days or if you're in a hurry  Parcelforce will get it to you in 48 hours for only £52...

P1010278

That might get you back on track without wasting a whole new kit. BTW as an incentive I have set a goal of finishing  an Airfix  1/72 kit from my excessive stash, every week till September, come on you can catch me easily , I'm only up one hurricane!!

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Anil. I have one of those in the stash. I'll have to give it a look at. Sorry for taking so long to reply. The missus and I left Wednesday morning for a trip down to Edmonton. and we just got back last night about 5:30 pm. I did get into a couple of hobby shops while in the city, but my time was limited as the we went in the wife's vehicle and she was driving. After her shopping and visiting our middle daughter, then driving an hour north to the mum-in-law's, I wasn't allotted much time. Not that it mattered. One small shop in the mall didn't have one Airfix kit! Not one! The bigger shop a few miles away did have some Airfix, but no Hurricanes. And neither had the other two items on my want list. Anyway, I have just placed an order with Hannants that will probably be here in about two weeks. I'll continue on with my Hurc and await delivery.

Chris

I have an Airfix Hurricane that I started to cut up to crosskit it with a Hasegawa one to make a metal-winged bird. PM me your address, I'm far closer to you than most Britmodellers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I have an Airfix Hurricane that I started to cut up to crosskit it with a Hasegawa one to make a metal-winged bird. PM me your address, I'm far closer to you than most Britmodellers.

Is there nothing that man with a cute hedgehog and fulsome  vocabulary cannot do? Yet again @Procopius demonstrates his superhero powers, we are not worthy... 😉

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just today, I received my Hannants order that contains the Airfix Hurricane starter kit. As I might not finish my Hurricane before the cold weather get here and I can spray paint it outside, I was wondering if the little paint pots that come with the starter kit are any good? Are they worth trying, if I need to brush paint, or should I use some of the other paint I have in store. I have Polly S, Humbrol Authentics and Tamiya.

Chris