Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

Hello! I am going to attempt to build this kit as one of the early ragwings that arrived in Canada in Spring 1939.

Here is a link to some questions I had and the answers I received:

I have started by removing a few major components and cleaning/sanding edges. I have thinned down the insides of the wing trailing edges, hoping to avoid the thick edges that Airfix gives you. So far so good. It's been awhile since I last sat at the table and worked on styrene. Man, that can be hard on the back when you're old and out of shape.

Anyhoos, here a picture to prove I am working on an actual real kit. A warning to any followers! My progress can be best described as glacial. I hope to do just this one kit in the next year.

Hurr1

Chris

• Like 14

I'll follow along if I may - I'm a great fan of the Hurricane.

Hope the winter is not being to unkind to you I spent 3 years in Medicine Hat so know what the winter can be like!

Roger

Looking on with interest. It’s a lovely kit but those tolerances can be unforgiving. On all new Airfix kits, I now construct major assemblies eg cockpit detail then paint rather than the other way around.

As a picture is worth a thousand words, here is an in progress shot of mine. The fabric area behind the gun port is wrong. It’s metal, so I filled in the recesses and smoothed back

39952772432_49dcd89451_b.jpg

Hope this helps.

Trevor

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

I'll follow along if I may - I'm a great fan of the Hurricane.

Hope the winter is not being to unkind to you I spent 3 years in Medicine Hat so know what the winter can be like!

Roger

It's not been too bad this winter. A few fairly cold spells but nothing too cold. Have to wait and see what February brings us. We were supposed to get about 20cm. of snow last night but it blew through south of us and we only got 1cm. or so.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I have been slowly working on this as time and inclination allows. I've been removing parts from the sprues and doing clean-up on them. Nothing too much to clean-up, though. Just a bit of work with a sanding stick and the edge of an Xacto blade. I received my Iliad decals from Hannants a week ago. I may see if I can get another sheet so I can have some options for markings. If I get one more sheet, I can do either 311, 313 or 315.

Viewable proof of forward movement.

HurcX

Chris

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 9:44 PM, dogsbody said:

I received my Iliad decals from Hannants a week ago. I may see if I can get another sheet so I can have some options for markings. If I get one more sheet, I can do either 311, 313 or 315.

Chris

@dogsbody, you do know that Iliad are a local Canadian company and they'll sell you decals direct from sunny Ottowa?

A

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

@dogsbody, you do know that Iliad are a local Canadian company and they'll sell you decals direct from sunny Ottowa?

A

I did not know that! Thank you for that information and I will be checking that out ASAP.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Back again. After a week of not being able to get on the forum and another week of suffering from my first cold in over two years, I'm back at the Hurricane again. I have the undercarriage bay assembled and was just about to paint it. As I don't have any Humbrol 56, I was going to use Tamiya XF-16. Alas, my old jar has gone a bit thick. It still stirs up okay but it's too thick for brush usage. Any recommendations on what I could thin it with. The only other paint I have that may provide a substitute are some Citadel Games Workshop metallics.

Chris

• Confused 1

I actually got something done today. I tried painting the roof of the undercarriage bay ( upper wing ) with some just restored Tamiya XF-16. It went on okay and dried fairly quick. I forgot to add some flow inhancer but it turned out not too bad. I then tried restoring a bottle of Citadel Colours Mithril Silver. This seemed to work better than the XF-16. I poured a wee bit into another container and added a couple drops of the inhancer. With this I painted the interior of the bay ( lower wing ). There’s not much difference between the two colours. I then used it to do the lower cockpit walls. 

I did tell you all at the beginning that I worked at a glacial pace.

41108118841_6d363089d4_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen, a colour question, if I may. What would be the proper colour to paint this bit of cockpit? Black? Cockpit grey-green?

Hurc pit

Chris

• Like 1

Im not an expert but @Troy Smith is as close to a Hurricane expert if I've ever seen one. However I've always painted that area black as its high up. Sometines i add a leather colored edge to simulate padding. But I've no proof thats correct just seems logical.   

• Like 1

If I remember rightly, on Troy's most excellent "all the Hurricane questions you've wanted to ask...etc" thread, there's a photo of the unrestored early Hurricane in Finland that shows this area as (interior) green....

Just putting it out there...

Either way, enjoy the kit - it's a little beauty.

Nick.

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

What would be the proper colour to paint this bit of cockpit? Black? Cockpit grey-green?

good question. 

Tikkakoski_planes012-vi.jpg

internal bits, grey green, externaly visible,  outside colour? 

The reason for the ?  is I'm now wondering about desert scheme planes,  as Middle Stone usually  runs through the cockpit area.

Hmm,

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs ROYAL AIR FORCE FIGHTER COMMAND, 1939-1945.. © IWM (CH 1934) IWM Non Commercial License

looks lighter than the Dark Green...

c6sDf2ef.jpg

Hmm.   I'll have a look at some books later,  as I have stuff to do  now  ....

• Like 2

Very Nice start My Canadian 🇨🇦friend. 👌 I will follow closely your build progress, I have the Airfix Sea Hurricane in my inventory. Your model will be a good source of experience.😁

Frank 

Edited by Frank083

3 hours ago, Frank083 said:

Very Nice start My Canadian 🇨🇦friend. 👌 I will follow closely your build progress, I have the Airfix Sea Hurricane in my inventory. Your model will be a good source of experience.😁

Frank 

Probably from the point of view of  " Well, he made a mess of that. Do not do it that way " kind of experience. After all my years of life, I know I'm more of a bad example.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Looking at those last two pics, I would suggest that the builders sprayed the airframe cockpit green/zinc chromate before fitting the canopy then painted the camo pattern when the build was completed. This would leave the coaming area "unfinished" in green.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, peeps! Another question, this one on paint colour. Airfix ask you to paint the un-armoured rear cockpit panel Humbrol 70 Brick Red. I don't have any and was wondering what might be a close mix, using Tamiya paints?

41916763762_35de934f63_b.jpg

Chris