1/48 - Boeing B-52 Stratofortress resin/fiberglass kit by HpH - released - detailing sets

Homebee

9 hours ago, MarcV said:

All,

Thanks for your replies and useful information. i'm aware the AGM-86 came along much later but besides the Hound dog I think the 30th Bombardment Squadron did carry other early ALCM's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30th_Bombardment_Squadron#/media/File:B-52H_Rollout_P26183_(7251329956).jpg

(Thank you Wikipedia)

I suspect these were experimental however or mock ups. Anyone in the know on that? The picture does show the B52H scheme I want to build. Any help on finding references on this bird or similar would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

They're Skybolts. The project was cancelled. The Vulcan was also an intended user before the Americans pulled the plug.

Tony 

Too bad they didn't combine their awesome resin with vacuformed airframe partsd.  Would have been much more economical and easire to work with... gotta use the best materials for the job (like having metal landing gear, or at least metal reinforced which HPH does...)

But still, wonderful having the option!

Regards, Robert

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Ken Stenzenko said:

I have one on order with the flap set. I'll be doing an early B-52H with the Anti Nuclear paint scheme. Can't wait.

Good choice Ken, that's what I'm going to be doing. A SAC bare metal and white bird. Much more fun than grey as far as I'm concerned. I paid my deposit a couple of weeks ago.

Now I have to source some Hound Dogs and pylons - which probably do not exist. What references are you using?

I could share what I have if you like (or post here).

Marc.

• Like 1

Hi Marc, the AGM-28's don't exist in 1/48 scale. I think at this stage I'll build 61-0040 the last B-52 built. I have all the usual reference books Detail & Scale and Aerofax which cover the early B-52's plus I have a couple of USAF TO's on the early B-52H including the Maintenance and Erection manual.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, Ken Stenzenko said:

Hi Marc, the AGM-28's don't exist in 1/48 scale. I think at this stage I'll build 61-0040 the last B-52 built. I have all the usual reference books Detail & Scale and Aerofax which cover the early B-52's plus I have a couple of USAF TO's on the early B-52H including the Maintenance and Erection manual.

I've got the following but they're not great, at least not for the early H's. How are the Aerofax and Detail and Scale books?

Post World War II Bombers, Marcelle Size Knaack, Office of Air Force History, 1988.

Boeing B-52--A Documentary History, Walter Boyne, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1981.

Military Aviation Review, World Airpower Journal, Vol 25, Summer 1996.

Boeing B-52H, Robert F. Dorr and Brian C. Rogers, World Airpower Journal, Volume 27, Winter 1996.\

These links may help also:

http://joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b52_17.html

https://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-52.htm

Marc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 9:34 AM, paulsbrown said:

I certainly wish I had the time, space and cash for this thing, what a kit. 

Yeah...

You 2nd is the biggest issue... time the next  ... more so looking at the stash...

A B-1B and a Vulcan waiting there...

The 3rd does not really turn into an issue that way.... :(

mighty impressive and tempting, every time I look at this thread!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by exdraken

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

A B-1B and a Vulcan waiting there...

The 3rd does not really turn into an issue that way.... :(

mighty impressive and tempting, every time I look at this thread!!

Yep, B-1B, C-130 and their Concord in mine...

It is impressive and tempting, it's nice to see a company do the 'you gotta be kidding me' stuff. 

• Like 1

On August 24, 2019 at 7:11 PM, rbeach84 said:

Too bad they didn't combine their awesome resin with vacuformed airframe partsd.  Would have been much more economical and easire to work with.

In reading this I have to agree at least for my own interest in the kit.  I think the pure resin probably provides a better quality but it is not economical enough for me.  Sanger has the vacuform B-52 but I doubt you could mate it with the HpH parts even if they would actually sell them separately.  But I think for its intended audience this is a spectacular kit, meant to be displayed in a museum.  

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

@exdraken, you've got no excuses left now... :lol:

Yeh, you don't...

Cheers,

Unc2

No idea who this is... yet ;)

That needs to come with a discount allowing me to build a house... :devil:

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

That needs to come with a discount allowing me to build a house... :devil:

True, true... but you've got to take into consideration the look in awe yer grandsons will have in their little faces the day they drop in on you for a visit, when they first take a look at yer display cabinet in the centre of your living room (yeh, yer wife will have to agree to it, of course :lol: - or she won't be yer missus), and see the B-1B, Vulcan B.2 and B-52H in 1/48th scale!

The hissy fit you'll get at their request to play with them, tho. :( 

• Haha 1

The shocking thing is I have the B-1, the Vulcan and a Herc already in the stash...

Fortunately there is no Tu-22.... as I could not resist I guess!

:wall: :chilly:

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

Fortunately there is no Tu-22.... as I could not resist I guess!

See, THAT would be my dream come true; a Tu-22 in 1/48th scale... :Tasty: :heart: Well, at least there is still time ahead for that to happen, until you or I become Grandpas. :lol:

I can foresee being the grumpiest SOAB ever as a Grandpa, I'm afraid.

Incidentally, my mate; any estimate with regard to when you plan to start yer Icelandic Fine Art 1/48 Vulcan B.2 build?

5 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

See, THAT would be my dream come true; a Tu-22 in 1/48th scale... :Tasty: :heart: Well, at least there is still time ahead for that to happen, until you or I become Grandpas. :lol:

I can foresee being the grumpiest SOAB ever as a Grandpa, I'm afraid.

Incidentally, my mate; any estimate with regard to when you plan to start yer Icelandic Fine Art 1/48 Vulcan B.2 build?

Hmmm hard to imagine, as you are already the grumpiest Unc2  ever... ;)

No idea, later this spring?

Does not fit the Nordic or Navy GB themes :D

was is short contact with already regarding BUFFs...  what would one need? Flaps? -yes  CALCM or Mk82,?

The bombs look a lot like AMK by the way!!

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hmmm hard to imagine, as you are already the grumpiest Unc2  ever... ;)

Ah, okay... Thanks? :lol:

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

was is short contact with already regarding BUFFs...  what would one need? Flaps? -yes  CALCM or Mk82,?

The bombs look a lot like AMK by the way!!

Oh, no; not conventional. You need as many nuke ALCMs and/or B61 weapons to arm yer BUFF Of Doom.

And of course you need "they're" flap set as well.

Yeh, you do...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1