1/48 - Boeing B-52 Stratofortress resin/fiberglass kit by HpH - released - detailing sets

Homebee

5 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Ah, okay... Thanks? :lol:

Oh, no; not conventional. You need as many nuke ALCMs and/or B61 weapons to arm yer BUFF Of Doom.

And of course you need "they're" flap set as well.

Yeh, you do...

Cheers,

Unc2

Mine's on order - I'm backdating to an SAC NMF bird with Hound Dogs if I dare to build those myself. Also I'll have to tweak the pylons and launchers.

Anyone know of any good references for that?

Greets,

Marc.

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

Anyone know of any good references for that?

Hi Marc,

I'm sure HpH will have to come up with some Hound Dogs and those pylons for their kits sooner or later. Both the missiles and pylons should be not hard to scratch from zero if you've got the proper reference material.

spacer.png

Being you in the beautiful Netherlands, I'd go searching for reference at that awesome Aviation Megastore you've got up there in Aalsmeerderbrug. To me it's the best place to buy in the whole Europe, period.

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi Marc,

I'm sure HpH will have to come up with some Hound Dogs and those pylons for their kits sooner or later. Both the missiles and pylons should be not hard to scratch from zero if you've got the proper reference material.

spacer.png

Being you in the beautiful Netherlands, I'd go searching for reference at that awesome Aviation Megastore you've got up there in Aalsmeerderbrug. To me it's the best place to buy in the whole Europe, period.

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

Thanks Unc for the great shot!

Reference material is the problem, got some but hard to find. The shapes aren't too hard as you say but good photos let alone dimensions and design drawings are elusive.

3 hours ago, MarcV said:

Thanks Unc for the great shot!

Quite welcome, my Dutch mate.

3 hours ago, MarcV said:

Reference material is the problem, got some but hard to find. The shapes aren't too hard as you say but good photos let alone dimensions and design drawings are elusive.

True, true... but well, ever since the advent of the Intertubes back in 1997 (down here at least), I've cheated by copying a lot of stuff from pictures the resin manufacturers used to upload there - I must have copied several instrument panels and other kind of flat subjects I fancied scratching.

Now when there weren't any stuff in my scale - 1/48th - I've cheated even more by purchasing stuff in 1/72nd scale in order to upscale it, like this 1/72nd AGM-28 Hound Dog missile by Black Dog, for instance. Sure you could work up the dimensions from that (bear in mind the design is pretty much straightforward in this case).

spacer.png 

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Quite welcome, my Dutch mate.

True, true... but well, ever since the advent of the Intertubes back in 1997 (down here at least), I've cheated by copying a lot of stuff from pictures the resin manufacturers used to upload there - I must have copied several instrument panels and other kind of flat subjects I fancied scratching.

Now when there weren't any stuff in my scale - 1/48th - I've cheated even more by purchasing stuff in 1/72nd scale in order to upscale it, like this 1/72nd AGM-28 Hound Dog missile by Black Dog, for instance. Sure you could work up the dimensions from that (bear in mind the design is pretty much straightforward in this case).

spacer.png 

Cheers,

Unc2

Yeah,

I saw that, might be worth trying. I also asked, I think is name is Gerard from Sanger to see if he would supply Hound Dog and pylons but no joy there either I'm afraid. No demand, which is understandable in 1/48th.

I also asked him about decals for a bare metal SAC bird but the sheets he offers seem a tad spartan.

M.

1 minute ago, MarcV said:

I also asked, I think is name is Gerard from Sanger to see if he would supply Hound Dog and pylons but no joy there either I'm afraid. No demand, which is understandable in 1/48th.

I also asked him about decals for a bare metal SAC bird but the sheets he offers seem a tad spartan.

The owner of Sanger is one Gerald Elliot. I offered some detail bits for his proposed 1/48 Vulcan B.2 kit back in 2010 when I failed to get the Aeroclub kit, but he didn't seem to be interested. Then I finally managed to get my Aeroclub "precious" in 2015.

I'm sure the cottage industry will have some news with regard to the additional resin sets and bits for the 1/48 BUFFs out there as soon as the HpH kit happens normally.

Yeh, me is... (and I wish I could secure a sample of the HpH 1/48 BUFF kit :weep:)

Cheers,

Unc2

On 3/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

The owner of Sanger is one Gerald Elliot. I offered some detail bits for his proposed 1/48 Vulcan B.2 kit back in 2010 when I failed to get the Aeroclub kit, but he didn't seem to be interested. Then I finally managed to get my Aeroclub "precious" in 2015.'

I'm sure the cottage industry will have some news with regard to the additional resin sets and bits for the 1/48 BUFFs out there as soon as the HpH kit happens normally.

Yeh, me is... (and I wish I could secure a sample of the HpH 1/48 BUFF kit :weep:)

Cheers,

Unc2

I'm hoping some aftermarket will be coming - however, they plan to build no more than 1000, and I believe they've only sold 60 or so now, so I don't know if there'll be much of a market for aftermarket.

Has anyone ever seen aftermarket parts for HpH kits?

1.000 kits of the B-52 is not realistic.

But they would only need 100 orders to produce the BUFF in 1/32. Price would be around €1.200,-

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

and I believe they've only sold 60 or so now

Same with their 1/32 Dakota, my last one is number 63. I bought five of them.

12 hours ago, Largescale32 said:

Has anyone ever seen aftermarket parts for HpH kits?

I agree with your point that there probably is not going to be aftermarket for the HpH B-52.

However, G-factor released some excellent brass landing gear for the HpH F7F and SB2C, so technically, I have seen aftermarket for an HpH kit.  :)

corey

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

Not sure this is the best forum to post this query but here goes.

I've got the HPH B-52H in (yes) 1/48 scale. I want to backdate this to the early silver SAC B-52H's without EVS, AN/ANR20 and the various lateral blade antennae on the nose.

It seems, although I'm far from sure that the B-52G's and H's with the various fit-outs above seem to have a different nose / front fuselage contour than the G's an H's without these modifications. So even if you take away the new protuberances the nose still seems to be different to the nose as fitted to the aircraft fitted with EVS etc.

Can anyone deny or confirm (if anyone can still follow the gist of this)? If yes this would mean an entire nose job which I don't much fancy.

Thanks all.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOXHA0KAwM0NbsLhDp9P7EX06rbqajmfiTjFSJt

Yes, when the G/H’s received the EVS’s they received new radomes.  This is barely mentioned in any secondary sources, but compare profile pictures of the nose and it becomes obvious. 

On page 50 of the Aerofax 7 book the radome change is briefly mentioned.

• Like 2

Hi Corey,

The exact same photo's you mention alerted me to the fact:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOXHA0KAwM0NbsLhDp9P7EX06rbqajmfiTjFSJt

Any idea where I can get plans so I can re-work the nose?

Let me know if the image doesn't work. If not I'll join a hosting site. I understand you can't paste JPGs directly into a post on BM.

Marc.

The radome change is not well covered.  There are some basic drawings in some of the Squadron Walk Around and In Action books, but I don’t think they are very helpful.  I’m afraid I’m not aware of any easily obtained drawings that provide an accurate reference to the older type radome.  Maybe someone else does?

I’m thinking your choices are:  develop your own drawing to the best of your ability using the available photographs (unfortunately there aren’t any G/H’s on display with the early radomes you could measure and photograph.)

Or, try archival research to find Boeing or Air Force material (ie maintenance manuals) that might show drawings of the early radomes.  Contacting Boeing might be worth it, but you may face significant delays due to Covid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corey in Colorado said:

The radome change is not well covered.  There are some basic drawings in some of the Squadron Walk Around and In Action books, but I don’t think they are very helpful.  I’m afraid I’m not aware of any easily obtained drawings that provide an accurate reference to the older type radome.  Maybe someone else does?

I’m thinking your choices are:  develop your own drawing to the best of your ability using the available photographs (unfortunately there aren’t any G/H’s on display with the early radomes you could measure and photograph.)

Or, try archival research to find Boeing or Air Force material (ie maintenance manuals) that might show drawings of the early radomes.  Contacting Boeing might be worth it, but you may face significant delays due to Covid.

Thanks Corey,

There is a guy at Boeing who was very helpful concerning KC-135 research and as you say it did take a little time to get feedback, but that's OK. He's on Discovery now and again and seems to know what he's talking about.

I guess we ascertained that there is indeed a radome profile change between pre and post EVS G and H models, which as you say is not well documented.

Best regards,

Marc.

Marc,

can I ask you how your order process went? From ordering, paying a deposit, how long it took until your kit was ready etc.?

I'm starting to despair with HPH. I ordered in December, but it took them until February to "find" my deposit payment. Now it's June and several emails, Facebook messages and even an (unanswered) phone call later still nothing. I know we had a wee pandemic in the middle, but there was plenty of time before and after lock-downs to simply answer if and when my order could be ready...

Cheers,

Jeffrey

• Sad 1

To me there is indeed different shape and dimensions between early and late G/H radome.

wpzjUXE.jpg

yO5t0WF.jpg

wUpVp3O.jpg

A Buff with EVS minus nose ECM bumps, but I think this photo is a bit distorted as TF33 engine pods look short. I cannot tell which radome contour of this Buff.

8OWAA6y.jpg

Edited by Teeradej
  • Like 6

Teeradej,

Thanks for that - certainily very helpful and now more than clear there is a marked difference. Now to see where I can find plans (if in existence) of the B-52 to start the nose job.

Marc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Marc,

can I ask you how your order process went? From ordering, paying a deposit, how long it took until your kit was ready etc.?

I'm starting to despair with HPH. I ordered in December, but it took them until February to "find" my deposit payment. Now it's June and several emails, Facebook messages and even an (unanswered) phone call later still nothing. I know we had a wee pandemic in the middle, but there was plenty of time before and after lock-downs to simply answer if and when my order could be ready...

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

In a word tedious. It took constant e-mails to Katharina, one in three or so of which were answered. Pasting Jiri in the CC helped. I paid my deposit around December and received my kit around March so at least they did not lose my deposit. Do you need e-mail addresses, I have these for you if required.

Quality of the kit is very impressive. I haven't started yet. I'll be treating it as a number of mini kits, cockpit, landing gear etc. and probably other stuff in between - a 1/48 Blackbird would be nice😉.

Let me know if I can help further.

Marc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

Hi Jeffrey,

In a word tedious. It took constant e-mails to Katharina, one in three or so of which were answered. Pasting Jiri in the CC helped. I paid my deposit around December and received my kit around March so at least they did not lose my deposit. Do you need e-mail addresses, I have these for you if required.

Quality of the kit is very impressive. I haven't started yet. I'll be treating it as a number of mini kits, cockpit, landing gear etc. and probably other stuff in between - a 1/48 Blackbird would be nice😉.

Let me know if I can help further.

Marc.

Thanks Marc.

I have Katerina's, Jiri's and Mirek's email addresses, but basically only received replies from Katerina. I also posted on LSP (back at the beginning of the year when I tried to get my order sorted). Last I heard was in February. I've sent two further emails and tried to call on the phone, but no reply.

I also used Facebook messenger. They initially replied, asking how they can help, but when I briefly stated what it's about no further reply came.

Very frustrating... Not only my money, but I ordered a second kit for someone else at the same time. This is not exactly petty cash. I deliberated for quite some time whether I really should order. In Telford last year I briefly spoke to Jiri and Mirek and told them I intended to buy one kit for me and one for someone else.

They are nice guys making nice stuff, but is this a way to do business?

I keep thinking what if the company has defaulted and the money is gone..?

Jeffrey