HC.4 junglie questions

ice

Hello gents!

There is an Airfix HC.4 on my workdbench right now and I came across a question that all the pictures on my HDD can't answer: Are the top windows tinted in the same blue-greenish colour as the german version is? On most pictures it looks more greyish.

Also the Airfix instructions say that the main coulour for the camo is BS381C 298 Olice Drab for the arctic scheme. On this forum I read the Sea Kings were switched to NATO Green. When did that happen? What would be a suitable Tamiya- or Gunze-colour ?

Sk4 upper windows were not tinted unless you count the circuit breaker panels and the sandfilter blocking out half/most of the light :D they were generally not kept as clean as the other clear view panels which were kinda useful since you could actually see out of them as designed.

To be fair with the earlier marks mk2 and for that matter Mk5/6 the circuit breaker panels were not above the pilot and co pilots head and in the early years there were no sandfilters so you could see out.

No doubt some of the early Mk4s may well have had tinted windows someone is bound to find a picture  but certainly from the 90s onward clear.

For colour not sure of the shade of green but the paint finish changed from acrylic to polyurethane (or vice versa) to be fair either would probably do as by the time you push the dirt around there isn't a lot in it.

The exception would be when an aircraft came out of the foam wash and it would be a considerably different shade until the secondary protective finish was applied (with rags wrapped round broomstick....them were the days ) to give a semi gloss finish until it got covered with exhaust grime which was further pushed about by use of the secondary protective finish.

Hope that HELPS.    

• Like 1

Built a Seaking last year. Afghanistan type.

Just looked at the little picture library I built. All the photos I have of the Seaking in Afghanistan have tinted ceiling windows.

I used a back with dark green highly diluted airbrushed at 10PSI. Airbrushed the canopy on the inside face.

Laurie

4 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hmm maybe im wrong I guess you forget things and im man enough to admit that ....funnily enough is that Portrush?...that was my last detachment (Aldergrove) before i left the following year

Saved by an amusing response though, made me smile.

9 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hmm maybe im wrong I guess you forget things and im man enough to admit that ....funnily enough is that Portrush?...that was my last detachment (Aldergrove) before i left the following year

Yes, it is Portrush, September 2009.

Ice that is superb....whilst you a going to the 'bother' of detailing the cabin...love the soundproofing btw,you might as well put the cabin heating ducts under the seats on the stbd side...especially if you are doing a clockwork Norway cab.

The ducting and the associated kit was removed for Iraq and Afgan...not needed and weight saving.

You are right about the blackpipe work that was the hot air ducts down to the fan .....you cant see that.There was a spill valve to discharge hot air outboard if it got too toasty.

Thank you. It's great to hear that from someone who knows the Sea King as good as you do. Sadly i haven't seen any photos of those heating ducts. It was hard enough to find fotos of the blackpipe.

On 30.1.2018 at 12:04 AM, junglierating said:

Sk4 upper windows were not tinted unless you count the circuit breaker panels and the sandfilter blocking out half/most of the light :D they were generally not kept as clean as the other clear view panels which were kinda useful since you could actually see out of them as designed.

Do you have any pictures of that circuit breaker panel? I have tons of Sea King pictures on my harddrive but no picture where such a panel is visible. I tinted the windows and now I would like to add that console so I can close the cockpit.

Pictures: https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=10037&p=albums&album=31431

On 4.2.2018 at 9:34 PM, andyf117 said:

Very nice work - now I wonder where that sandwich bag technique came from.......???? Nice to see someone else using it! :D

First I wanted to use aluminum foil but the sandwich bags where in the same drawer - the rest is history. ;)

1 hour ago, ice said:

Do you have any pictures of that circuit breaker panel? I have tons of Sea King pictures on my harddrive but no picture where such a panel is visible. I tinted the windows and now I would like to add that console so I can close the cockpit.

There are a couple in our RAF Seaking walkaround, dont know if it looks the same?

5 hours ago, andyf117 said:

The circuit breaker panel is part of the overhead console which you've already fitted between the tinted windows....

Err not quite Andy...either side of the main cb panel there are boards port and starboard which as I said hinder the view out of the upper quarterlights....i know them intimately mainly due to a serious fault signal and subsequent tech instruction you can see the port one (just) in one of the walkround pics.Sadly although i took plenty of pics at the time they were for a tech query .....if only i realised....ah well thats history.

If you google sk mk4 cockpit there are a couple of pics mixed with other varieties of sk....mk5 for instance doesnt have the same arrangement

Edited by junglierating

On 08/02/2018 at 12:12 AM, andyf117 said:

Ah. OK - I was going off a SAR HU.5 photo in the Haynes manual which identified the rear section of the central overhead console as the circuit breaker panel, which is presumably what you refer to as the "main cb panel". You're saying the Mk.4 had additional panels either side? Intrigued as to why - the HC.4 had less 'systems' than other Mks, eg., no radar, no sonar, non-retractable undercarriage, so why did it need more circuit breakers?

Well....because on mk2 ,5 and derivatives there was another c/b panel on the interseat consol.not sure why the mk4 was different ....can only assume that because on a pinger you had extra crew different operations etc....

Funnily enough the sk4 got more and more systems as time went on.....heres a snapshot...Alq157,MAWS,Vu1and vu2 radio,HF,VTac/Bowman.....Mx15 ,Tacsat blah blah.add the weight of the cabling and it got heavy for the old girl.Carson blades helped.

Merlin more capacity but not without issues which cant be disscussed.

On 8.2.2018 at 1:25 AM, LaurieS said:

Actually it does! Thank you a lot. That gives an idea, how it could look like. And this is fitted on both sides of the central overhead console?

EDIT:

Found some more pictures:

Picture 1

This seems to be a German Mk.41

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Edited by ice

For everyone interested: I found two videos on youtube where you can actually see the c/b panels! In the first video both panels are visible but the panel over the pilots head looks a little bit smaller. Could be the perspective. In the second video only the left panel is visible.