Chieftain Desert colouring question

lesthegringo

Guys, if tanks like the Chieftain were repainted to send them to desert areas, would they only paint the upper surfaces or would they have overpainted all the suspension and wheels too? My son is building a Chieftain and wants to know and being an aircraft modeller I have no idea!

Cheers

Les

It would depend entirely on the time and resources available to the workshops doing the repaint - and the urgency of the requirement.

Based on vehicles I've seen that went out for Operation Granby in 1990-91 (various armoured and softskin types) , the sand paint was applied thoroughly and included lower hulls, suspension and wheels. Did they miss the odd nook and cranny? - probably. However most vehicles were properly repainted rather than being given a quick (and rough) top coat. One UK-based tank transporter unit even contracted with a local civilian industrial workshop to have their vehicles re-done professionally.

Cheers,

Centaur

Edited by Centaur95

Are you doing a British Chieftain? If so not many would have gone to the sandy places,the only ones that went on Granby where engineer variants. Green and sand would be the colour for tanks serving in Canada at BATUS.

I hope that helps but the vast majority of Chieftains served in Germany.