Phantom external fuel tanks

72modeler

I could have sworn there was a comment about this subject in one of the BM topics, but for the life of me, I can't find the post or the person who posted it. There was a comment that the underwing external tanks on Phantoms had a flange/stiffening rib on the LH side of each tank, not both sides as molded on the new Airfix kit. Got me to thinking and looking at photos- darned if there were tons of photos that showed them on the LH side of the tanks, but none I could find that showed them on the RH side. I then went to the "oracle's" website (That's Tailspin Turtle, aka Tommy Thomason) and found the information that can be found in the link I have posted below. Thought this might be useful for all you Phantom phanatics! Thanks to the original poster for your comments, and thanks Tommy, as always, for your knowledge and blogs on USN aviation!

Mike

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2013/06/things-under-wings-f4h-f-4-phantom.html

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@72modeler ... Hey mike its very possibly in my thread on British Phantoms. There was a lot of discussion about drop tanks on the middle pages of the thread. 

CCFFU- nope, it wasn't in your thread- at least no discussion that I saw regarding the stiffeners. I hope I can either find the original post or the poster will come forward so I can thank him for his observations! Hope you're doing OK.

Mike

• Like 1

@72modeler ... Hello Mike thanks for asking. Im a survivor ... body keeps trying to tell me im getting older. I keep ignoring it as best i can. Sorry to hear i wasn't your source, i owe you so i was hoping.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@72modeler ... Hello Mike thanks for asking. Im a survivor ... body keeps trying to tell me im getting older. I keep ignoring it as best i can. Sorry to hear i wasn't your source, i owe you so i was hoping.

You don't owe me a thing- I am always happy to help and to repay all of the help I've received over the years. You need to stick around, as I'm bound and determined to finish a model this year and learn how to post photos on BM! My modeling buddies tell me I'm God's older brother! The knaves!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

CCFFU- nope, it wasn't in your thread- at least no discussion that I saw regarding the stiffeners. I hope I can either find the original post or the poster will come forward so I can thank him for his observations! Hope you're doing OK.

Mike

"Gene K" mentioned it on the Airfix Phantom thread here and the one on ARC.

Regards,

Murph

• Thanks 1