1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress (Sanger vacuform)

On 8/2/2018 at 8:42 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi Tom!

Those engine pylons are crying to have a pin reinforcement running along the edge. Then make a hole on the wing leading edge to accept the slightly bent pin inside of it. Lots of epoxy glue at the joint and, taa-daa! 

Incredible build, my mate! :worthy:

Cheers,

Unc2

That’s exactly what I had in mind. Unfortunately the pylons have all been molded the same, and don’t take into account the sweep of the wing. Therefore the outboard sides of the pylons where they meet the wing are all left with huge gaps. When they’re attached I’ll also have to build up the section of pylon that extends above the wing, too. Fun times!

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom, really enjoying your build and I doubt mine will be half as good as yours. I decided to do NB-52 Balls Eight and boy is it a big box of plastic. Hope to start a thread soon and this baby will keep me occupied for a long long time. Keep up your great work 

Martin

1 hour ago, Mcdood said:

Hi Tom, really enjoying your build and I doubt mine will be half as good as yours. I decided to do NB-52 Balls Eight and boy is it a big box of plastic. Hope to start a thread soon and this baby will keep me occupied for a long long time. Keep up your great work 

Martin

Hi Martin,

It'll be great to see another on the go so don’t delay!! Lovely choice of scheme, too. 

I’ll look forward to seeing your progress - @Sebastien have been sharing notes and we’d be happy to welcome another to this crazy world of building monster vacforms 🙂

Tom

On 8/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, Spookytooth said:

Those wings look great, and massive too.

I can hear the bench starting to groan under the weight of plastic.

Thinking of that, I know she is a tandem U/C but there is going to be a fair amount of weight at the backend.

You may need to add weight up front?

Just a thought Tom.

Simon.

Hi Simon,

I hadn’t thought about the weight issue actually - I’ve built a couple of 1/72nd versions and it hasn’t been a problem but it’ll certainly be worth checking when work begins on the fuselage. 

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, luckily the man cave is big enough to cope with this monster, good luck with the pylons

Martin

🤪

• 5 weeks later...

I've got tired of playing with the wings so have made a start on the fuselage. Due to it size, it's molded in four sections:

29515276747_33b87a0f67_z.jpgIMG_0239 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A nice blank canvass for some interior detailing:

29515277777_8d5033146d_z.jpgIMG_0242 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The join in the middle looks to be ok but will need plenty of reinforcing:

44453315591_cf7e07eaa3_z.jpgIMG_0243 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Obviously the wheel bays need opening up and I need to remove the area for the cockpit glazing. As you can see from the above image, the nose is the incorrect shape for an H model so there'll need to be some remedial work done here. 

Now it'll be a case of busying myself with internal bulkheads to add some much needed strength. And the question of whether to open up the bomb bay or not will need answering soon...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 16

This is where the rubber meets the runway.  Building bulkheads will be proof of the pudding as to the proper shape of the kit fuselage.  I hope they are a match!

Thank you so much for sharing!

PR

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, Pastor Rich said:

This is where the rubber meets the runway.  Building bulkheads will be proof of the pudding as to the proper shape of the kit fuselage.  I hope they are a match!

Thank you so much for sharing!

PR

Speaking of bulkheads, I've spent the last few evenings making numerous examples in order to keep the fuselage rigid. Unfortunately, those provided in the kit are a starting point and not useful for much else - they were far too wide for the fuselage and therefore I've had to resort to basics and make my own... tedious stuff.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, neil5208 said:

If you go down the open bomb bay route you could use the rotary lauch as part of the structure

I think I'm going to open it up - I have a Revell 1/48th B-1B which may donate its rotary launcher. Either that, or I'll leave it empty to show off the structural detail.

I've also discovered that the port side wheel bays are in the wrong location and need moving back - I'll post a pictorial update when the camera's next out.

Tom

• Like 2

Afternoon, folks!

I've been busy making lots of bulkheads to strengthen the fuselage - they were made from 1mm plastic card which provides a good level of rigidity:

42887758840_f6e9a7f142_z.jpgDSC_0291 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There's still a few more to add, but the majority are done and in place now.

With the internal structure there, the fit of the fuselage is not bad despite its enormous size:

44697025491_3aab7f2de3_z.jpgDSC_0288 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I have stumbled across a problem with the port-side undercarriage bays though - they are positioned incorrectly and need moving back. This will enable the main gear legs to be directly opposite each other as the real thing:

43979590484_4d428f48aa_z.jpgDSC_0290 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Speaking of the landing gear, are the bays zinc chromate or white on the current -H models?

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 9

No Problem! When I get these other projects off my bench and I can return to the B-52 I started ages ago, I may need to pick your brain on mine. I know I'm taking bunches of notes as we speak.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, LorenSharp said:

Currently I believe they are white.

They are more of a greenish gray.  Definitely not stark white.  They get a lot of wear on them. The gear trucks are white and in pictures, you can see the difference.  It’s more like a light ghost grey with a hint of green.  

Edited by Bravo52
  • Like 3

Tom, I apologise for the incorrect information. All the research I've been doing is for the "B" model.What few pictures of modern B-52's I glanced at were from long shots that had a lighter color, but not Zinc chromate green. Incorrectly assumed they were white like most modern U.S. military aircraft. I went back and did a deeper search and found many of the same images that @Bravo52 has posted. Nothing like 60 years of usage and paint to change how they look now. I've saved this search to help me in the future.

4 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Tom, I apologise for the incorrect information. All the research I've been doing is for the "B" model.What few pictures of modern B-52's I glanced at were from long shots that had a lighter color, but not Zinc chromate green. Incorrectly assumed they were white like most modern U.S. military aircraft. I went back and did a deeper search and found many of the same images that @Bravo52 has posted. Nothing like 60 years of usage and paint to change how they look now. I've saved this search to help me in the future.

No problem at all - and don't apologise! I'd actually made the same error and had presumed that they were white as well. It certainly shows that it's worth asking...

Tom

Too true. I've been experimenting with simulating stressed skin for mine. Read an article a while back in Finescale Modeller on how to achieve it in plastic. I found the same idea is on a website

http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/articles/stressed_skin/

I want to do something different and out of the ordinary. Drawback is it will add significant time to the build. But first get the action down before I start digging into a $200 model and then realise this isn't working.

Part and parcel when working on a vac I suppose.

5 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Too true. I've been experimenting with simulating stressed skin for mine. Read an article a while back in Finescale Modeller on how to achieve it in plastic. I found the same idea is on a website

http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/stressed_skin/

I want to do something different and out of the ordinary. Drawback is it will add significant time to the build. But first get the action down before I start digging into a $200 model and then realise this isn't working.

Part and parcel when working on a vac I suppose.

That article is a fascinating read with some excellent techniques - plenty to ponder. 

I’m just aiming to get this thing together first before tackling any surface detailing - that in itself is providing plenty to keep me busy...

I’ll look forward to seeing your progress when the time comes. 

Tom

Tom, when you fabricated your bulkheads, did you find there was a lot of inconsistency in the cross sections? I.e. is the fuselage straight and with a constant plastic thickness? Or did you have to adjust the bulkheads for each and every location?

Cheers

Jeffrey

7 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Tom, when you fabricated your bulkheads, did you find there was a lot of inconsistency in the cross sections? I.e. is the fuselage straight and with a constant plastic thickness? Or did you have to adjust the bulkheads for each and every location?

Cheers

Jeffrey

Morning Jeffrey,

The fuselage is pretty consistent - and the plastic is a constant thickness, too. For a vacform of this size, the moulding is pretty impressive actually. What I did find however, was that when working from scale plans the fuselage is slightly narrower than it should be by approx. 4mm - I made my bulkheads to the correct width (according to the plans I had) and therefore there's a gap along the top and bottom joins that'll need sorting with plastic card strips when the time comes for making the joints good. However, I'm not sure whether this is a fault with the kit, or whether I was a little over-zealous with my sanding of the parts!

Tom