1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress (Sanger vacuform)

13 hours ago, Victor K2 said:

Awesome build so far. I was lucky enough to be stationed at R.A.F. Marham from the mid 70's till '83 when 4 B52's took part in the Giant Voice competition's and seeing these behemoths take off and land and get up close and personal with these parked on our lazy runway. Hope you have a "lazy runway" to park yours.

Bob.

What a sight that must have been... were these the D-models with the large winged-2 on the tails by chance..?

12 hours ago, Learstang said:

Blimey, he's going to need another 'ouse for this one! More great work, Tom!

Best Regards,

Jason

If only, Jason - a hangar may be more appropriate, however!

11 hours ago, MattSimps74 said:

Wow she looks fantastic Tom, bravo! 🏆What a project! Once upon a time I was eagerly awaiting Gerald’s 1/48 Victor, I think I still am. 
Any thoughts about representing the BUFF’s wrinkly flanks
Cheers,

Matt 

Thanks, Matt. 

I don't know whether a Victor is still in the pipeline as everything seems to have gone a little quiet. That would be rather lovely though! I have thought about the wrinkles but am still pondering that one - lots of opportunity for things to go very wrong...

Tom

• Like 2

Sure thing, maybe a paint effect might be safer than risking a heartbreaking catastrophic structural failure of some sort!
Hats off to Gerald at Sanger though, producing these kits must be a vast undertaking, as well as covering all the different variants as he did here.

I really struggle to complete the simplest of projects, maybe the Victor would still be languishing in the stash as we speak anyway! 
Best of luck with the rest of the build👍

• Like 2

Just reading the comments and a thought crossed my brain.  I try not to let this happen often and this one was particularly daft.  A rippled / dimpled effect with paint.  I wonder if you could test some Hammerite hammered effect on some scrap plastic.  I seem to remember from years ago that this would sand down a bit, or maybe run some filler over it to soften it off a bit.  It 99% a non starter of an idea & would probably build up the side thicknesses too much.  But thought I would mention it anyway.

They were indeed D models, my memory is not that good to remember if they wore winged 2's(they came alternate years, I think at least 3 times during my time at Marham, bring on the 1/48th Victor). Must of been the British/American joint hospitality that clouds my memory. The Beer and Burgers went down well though😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 5:01 PM, bar side said:

Just reading the comments and a thought crossed my brain.  I try not to let this happen often and this one was particularly daft.  A rippled / dimpled effect with paint.  I wonder if you could test some Hammerite hammered effect on some scrap plastic.  I seem to remember from years ago that this would sand down a bit, or maybe run some filler over it to soften it off a bit.  It 99% a non starter of an idea & would probably build up the side thicknesses too much.  But thought I would mention it anyway.

I may just get creative with the airbrush and go for artistic effect - I'll see how the mood takes nearer the time!

I have been having a little play with the B-52's flaps of late, although bench-time has been limited due to work which has a habit of getting in the way. 

I thought I'd start with the easiest flap and therefore have made the left outboard flap first from plastic card. They're actually a lot more complex that I had first realised and there are numerous cut outs and panels present - I haven't tried to replicate every last detail but this will be a good starting point:

51174762460_1be60c8eff_b.jpg

When on the wing, this looks the part and once primed and in grey I think will do the job nicely:

51174459964_28119bf8ea_b.jpg

I'll complete the right outboard one next - this should be relatively easy as it's just a mirror image of this one - and then I'll need to tackle the more complex inboard flaps.

Best regards to all,

Tom

• Like 21

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Since I last updated you on any progress I have completed the remaining three flaps, with plastic card and Evergreen being the medium of choice:

51202550813_365ccb2553_b.jpg

As you can see, 1/48th B-52 flaps are on the large side:

51203413765_c35ec9d793_b.jpg

With the flaps completed, they were installed on the previously made runners in the wing:

51202550778_6d294ef1fa_b.jpg

Considering these were all made by my own fair hand, I'm quite pleased with how they look:

51203413775_1336e563c2_b.jpg

Even Molly came and cast her critical eye over the situation - although to be fair she didn't seem that impressed!

51202349881_f7066796ea_b.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Even Molly came and cast her critical eye over the situation - although to be fair she didn't seem that impressed!

That IS how a cat looks when impressed. If she wasn’t, your prized model would have been knocked off the table. Ask me how I know!

love your flaps, great job!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, DonH said:

That IS how a cat looks when impressed. If she wasn’t, your prized model would have been knocked off the table. Ask me how I know!

love your flaps, great job!

You and me both - our cat many moons ago - Cesar - was an 'Ace' in his own right - 5 planes detroyed in one go!  (I miss him! :crying: )

The B-52 looks great allthough I would never dare to undertake such a venture! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Amazing work. I always feel that an airplane model should have the flaps and forward surfaces positioned.... there is something about it being ready for business like that. 

Generally I find I am more attracted to kits that have that included, but if they are not available I tend to cut and scrape like nuts. 

The B-52 is one of my favourite planes, and that is a beautiful job.

2 hours ago, DonH said:

2 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

You and me both - our cat many moons ago - Cesar - was an 'Ace' in his own right - 5 planes destroyed in one go!  (I miss him! :crying: )

I don't wish to tempt fate, but she rarely ventures near me when I'm modelling and hasn't interfered with any builds so far. If she did, that would be 8 of her 9 lives gone in one swift move!

1 hour ago, SallysDad said:

Amazing work. I always feel that an airplane model should have the flaps and forward surfaces positioned.... there is something about it being ready for business like that. 

Generally I find I am more attracted to kits that have that included, but if they are not available I tend to cut and scrape like nuts. 

The B-52 is one of my favourite planes, and that is a beautiful job.

Agreed - dropped flaps/slats certainly add another dimension to a model. With the B-52's flaps usually deployed on the ground, I felt I had to with this one despite the extra work needed.

I have said this many times during your builds Tom, but you are going to need a bigger hangar!!!!

It`s only the pic with the flap in your palm that shows the full size of this bird.

Simon.

Those flaps look fantastic, as a scratch building novice I am hugely impressed. Would have loved to have seen a bit of detail of how you made them. I'm scratching my head in awe and wonderment!

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Considering these were all made by my own fair hand, I'm quite pleased with how they look:

So you should be - they are fantastic! It wasn't until I saw your hand that I appreciated the scale of the beast...

Seriously good work!👍

Awesome job with those flaps. They look great.

As to Mollie, keep in mind, cats do not have facial muscles with which to display emotion. So, always assume she is smiling on the inside.😃

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

As to Mollie, keep in mind, cats do not have facial muscles with which to display emotion. So, always assume she is smiling on the inside.😃

As a feline owner, I would liken the smile more to Grinning Evil Death.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I have said this many times during your builds Tom, but you are going to need a bigger hangar!!!!

It`s only the pic with the flap in your palm that shows the full size of this bird.

Simon.

A hangar would be just lovely... Biggin Hill is just up the road so I may have a word...

15 hours ago, RichieW said:

Those flaps look fantastic, as a scratch building novice I am hugely impressed. Would have loved to have seen a bit of detail of how you made them. I'm scratching my head in awe and wonderment!

Thanks - unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures whilst making them. It's just two plastic card sheets sandwiching some Evergreen block strip, with the slots cut out and lined with card.   

15 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

So you should be - they are fantastic! It wasn't until I saw your hand that I appreciated the scale of the beast...

Seriously good work!👍

Yeah - just the 4-foot-ish span...

15 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Very impressive! So impressive in fact, that I got all turned around and gobbed my smack.    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

Ha - thanks, Bill!

14 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Awesome job with those flaps. They look great.

That'll explain why she looks non-plussed whenever I show her a model!

14 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

As a feline owner, I would liken the smile more to Grinning Evil Death.

She certainly has her moments...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Evening all,

I thought I’d dig this beast out of long term storage and do a bit to it… it’s been lingering in the loft for too long so felt it deserved some attention after what’s been getting on for… three years!

53461804746_25907970e2_b.jpg

I’ve had some custom made photo-etch vortex generators made and these will save a ton of work - I was going to have the make the 120+ pieces from Evergreen…

53461804196_cd76e55e1c_b.jpg

I’ve also detailed the gear door interiors:

53461936108_0d645936f7_b.jpg

And made the tail warning radars by sacrificing the noses of some bombs from the spares stash:

53461936728_bf1d6872b9_b.jpg

There’s not actually that much left to do before I can begin splashing some paint… I need to get my a**e in gear and get this finished!

53462217360_35b6bf927d_b.jpg

More when there’s more!

Tom

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Just remember Tom, Slow and steady as she goes. But I know what you mean when it comes to wanting the (fill in the blanks) thing DONE! Still all things considered, it looks Maaaaaverelous!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Of Course, The Vulcan "HAD" to make more noise taking off and do it faster.:pilot:

Of course!  Took off like a fighter.  Just look at the speed on the runway.  Used to love the displays when the Lightnings would take off & go vertical, then the Vulcan would do the same.  It sounded like someone was trying to tear the sky apart.  Talk about car alarms going off!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bar side said:

The Vulcan not enough for you Tom?  I couldn’t help thinking of this

https://youtu.be/YYOgsgnZ8dw?si=gj7Xw3z6dY7afUf1

Love that! The reason being is the B-52 likes to show off by taking off nose down!!  

46 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Just remember Tom, Slow and steady as she goes. But I know what you mean when it comes to wanting the (fill in the blanks) thing DONE! Still all things considered, it looks Maaaaaverelous!

Steady would be one way of describing this build! I started it back in 2018!

32 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

What size is your loft hatch? It must be the size of a garage door(s).

Great to see her again Tom.

Simon.

Put it this way Simon… it takes a lot of giggery-pokery to get it in and out of the loft…

• Like 3