1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress (Sanger vacuform)

Time for an update on the big BUFF 

I haven't had a lot of time for modelling of late due to work commitments, but the end of term reports are almost done so I've had a few free evenings to work on the internal spars in the wings. As you can imagine, such large pieces made from vacformed plastic don't have a great deal of strength, so it's essential to make a series of spars so the wing can support it's own weight. I've followed a similar structure to the real aircraft, and made two spars which run the length of the wing from double-thickness 1mm plastic card, supported by internal bracing to keep it all rigid:

42954387661_784a6791e5_z.jpg

I then repeated the process for the other wing, having used the previous spars as a pattern so the process was a lot quicker and also ensured both sides are identical:

42954386551_2bf22e419c_z.jpg

I've also been working on how to securely attach the wings to the fuselage so have made a series of slotted inserts from plastic card which either thick plastic card or perhaps steel spars will run through (via the fuselage) when the time comes to stick the wings on:

41143796380_948957dc98_z.jpg

The spars pictures are just temporary, but you get the idea:

29081589618_c772c5b5d9_z.jpg

I think the next task will be to make the out-rigger bays as well as the flap aperture detail that will not be accessible when the wings are joined. Stay tuned...

Tom

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pastor Rich said:

Wow!  Looking good!!

Great to see you enjoying some progress!  Thank you for sharing Tom!!

PR

Cheers, Rich. It's a case of slow and steady wins the race, but it's good to have it back on the bench - not that much of it actually fits on the bench, mind you!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

How the heck have I missed something this.........big?!

No idea about room for me at the back whilst you tackle this as I don’t think there’s room for anybody!

Can’t offer any knowledge on the Buff but I’ll be cheering you on and will dispense beer and/or a cold flannel as necessary.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Afternoon lads and lasses...

I've been doing some detailing of the wings recently. I have decided to tackle the out-rigger bays, so the initial task was work out their exact location and box in the bays using plastic card:

43363498241_0d8d27fc52_z.jpg

The bay roofs were left separate so that they could be detailed without the wing obstructing access. I must stress I've gone for representation over accuracy here, so don't shoot me for making it up a little as I went along:

41554714630_e553935fae_z.jpg

When in-situ they will look ok to my eye:

43363500531_6ffed14995_z.jpg

The same process of course had to be repeated twice:

41554711920_c165635059_z.jpg

I've also cut out and boxed in the chaff dispensers on the lower side of the wings:

41554717080_3550bfb211_z.jpg

Still lots to do before the wings can be joined, but they're starting to take shape:

43363499431_2aa64f1fc2_z.jpg

Now for the flaps... more plastic card at the ready!

All the best,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 25

Hi Tom. Things don't seem to have changed much since I left Kent, you are still buying sheets of plastic with blobs on, and no doubt it will turn out to be a work of art as usual. Looking forward to seeing it on here, but don't forget that Shackbat, I want to see that as well.

Give my regards to them all at the club, and especially to the old man. (Are you still pinching his paints, kits etc., etc.,?)

On 7/15/2018 at 7:32 PM, foxfriend said:

Hi Tom. Things don't seem to have changed much since I left Kent, you are still buying sheets of plastic with blobs on, and no doubt it will turn out to be a work of art as usual. Looking forward to seeing it on here, but don't forget that Shackbat, I want to see that as well.

Give my regards to them all at the club, and especially to the old man. (Are you still pinching his paints, kits etc., etc.,?)

Cheers, Larry. Hope all is well with you and you’ve settled into your new surroundings. 

Yes - as you can see I still like a challenge. Old habits die hard! And yes, I still raid the Old Man’s paint stash on a regular basis - he’s going to have to get shopping in time for me to paint this!

The Shackleton is in storage at the moment whilst I work on this but it’ll get its turn again soon. 

All the best,

Tom

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I have just caught up with this thread Tom, and what an enjoyment.

A B 52 in 1/48 scale, big and nice.

I shall follow with interest.

Simon.

Welcome aboard, Simon. Yes she is a big beastie!

I have got the out-rigger bays finished off and the wings stuck together today - pictures soon. 

Tom

progress. this BUFF will be intereststing

(for those who dont know BUFF stands for Big Ugly Fat F****r)

Some more progress to report on the monster B-52...

I have finished off the out-rigger bays by giving them a coat of Zinc Chromate and a light weathering wash:

43804162871_476b6a7e68_z.jpgIMG_6890 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There is a nasty mis-mold on my example, so this area of the starboard lower wing had to be corrected with some filler - it'll meed another skimming before primer:

29934261968_b1df0924ff_z.jpgIMG_6891 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The wings were glued together with poly-cement for an extra-strong bonding. Gluing such large parts together required lots of clamping and taping, and they were given a good 48hrs to cure properly. When fully dried, I cut out and made the leading edge landing light apertures as well as the intakes near the wing roots:

43804161541_903062b5a0_z.jpgIMG_6893 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This underside shot shows the massive flap apertures, as well as the completed out-rigger bays and chaff dispensers to good effect:

29934259808_029262ee51_z.jpgIMG_6896 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I had a quick test fit of one of the engine pylons...

43804161021_946602b539_z.jpgIMG_6897 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

29934264238_913060b442_z.jpgIMG_6898 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The fit can best be described as 'interesting' and is far from Tamiya quality, but where's the fun in that?!

Tom

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Tom,

I have another description of that fir based on a line from the movie  "Cool Hand Luke"

"What we have here is the failure to communicate"

Awesome as ever on the build.

All the Best!

Don

• Haha 3

Those wings look great, and massive too.

I can hear the bench starting to groan under the weight of plastic.

Thinking of that, I know she is a tandem U/C but there is going to be a fair amount of weight at the backend.

You may need to add weight up front?

Just a thought Tom.

Simon.

5 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I had a quick test fit of one of the engine pylons...

43804161021_946602b539_z.jpgIMG_6897 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

29934264238_913060b442_z.jpgIMG_6898 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The fit can best be described as 'interesting' and is far from Tamiya quality, but where's the fun in that?!

Hi Tom!

Those engine pylons are crying to have a pin reinforcement running along the edge. Then make a hole on the wing leading edge to accept the slightly bent pin inside of it. Lots of epoxy glue at the joint and, taa-daa! 

Incredible build, my mate! :worthy:

Cheers,

Unc2