Airfix 1/72 Stuka (new tool) Battle of Britain

Gisbod

Hello All,

I havent posted for a while, but thought my current build may be of interest. I usually model in 1/32 scale and usually Wingnut Wings, but having just read a great book on the Battle of Britain (The Last of the Few by Max Arthur) I’m hooked - I had a sudden urge to start a collection of  BoB aircraft. My models usually go in a box in the garage never to be seen again, but if I stuck to the smaller 1/72 scale.. who knows, they may even see the light of day at home...

To get me started I went for the Airfix new tool Stuka - and what a gem it is! Nothing like the Airfix kits I made back in the day. The detail in 1/72 is nothing less than incredible; worthy of a 1/32 scale kit. I still couldn’t resist getting the Eduard PE set though as this is the icing on the cake. 

I’ve made a start and have just about finished the interior. The gunner’s seat was drilled out to represent the ‘cage’ like construction (moulded as a solid piece in the kit).  Painting was a light mist of black primer followed by Vallejo German Grey, then highlighted and a fine pin wash to accentuate depth, ending up with a flat varnish to tone down the Steel PE parts which are a tad too bright otherwise. Just one note using the Eduard PE - take care over fitting of the instrument panel - if it overlaps anywhere by the smallest margin it will affect the fuselage fit...

I :P cant wait to get started on Airfix’s other BoB offerings already.... 

Thanks for looking in 

Guy

8060_F09_B-1_BA9-48_EB-_AB63-417_CFA6_B8

C1_A76_EB6-0_AF3-4_DC0-96_CA-4_D21_B8219

2_B70_DBF4-2_B3_D-4771-_B76_A-54_FE9342_

EBF9_C16_F-_EF42-4_B69-8_DB2-6_DF8033_F6

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 32

Yes, the 110 will be on the list.. in fact can anyone give me a list of the definitively best kits in 1/72 for Battle of Britain aircraft? 

Also I see Airfix have a new tool Spit Mk1 and a 109E this year. What’s different to their current Spit and ME? I thought they were recent releases? 

Thanks 

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

3 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Excellent work. I’ve got this kit waiting to be done. Is the Eduard PE set worth the investment? 

Yes, Mark.. definitely! 

Thanks for the replies

Guy

• Like 1

The Defiant has been around a couple of years now in both standard and starter set form. Airfix have sold their production run of the original pressing (some to retailers such as Hannants). They are now producing a load more, maybe with different markings, maybe not. The plastic will be the same either way. 

Just make sure you order 02069 (standard) or 55213 (starter set) and you'll be fine.

John.

Just a quick update...

It's all just fallen together beautifully. That said, I did have to take care. A little filler required, but how much that was me, or the kit I don't know. I suspect me. The canopy is masked with the Eduard offering - a vital extra for me. The individual masks are tiny in this scale (did I say I was used to 1/32?).

Will be getting a fine primer coat shortly...

Guy

93_E764_DE-_FC77-44_C3-94_F0-_C3_A4_C7_E

4_E195_F71-_D2_F4-4_D2_D-8321-_E63727306

• Like 8

Beautiful work, especially on the interior! If I didn't have a half-built Fujimi Stuka asking me to finish it, I'd pick up one of these in a second. The very first kit I ever built was the ancient Airfix Ju-87B; this is just a 'little' bit nicer!

Regards,

Jason

Beautiful work on that interior Guy!

Like you, I have diversified slightly from only WWI to adding some BoB aircraft. Hurricane Mk1 with Alley Cat resin "tinwing" conversion done, and He111 in progress. Those Eduard interior sets really do spice them up nicely don't they!

I have this, a 109, 110, Spit, Defiant, Blenheim Mk1F, and Battle in the stash, all (except the Battle) with the Eduard interiors, most with aftermarket guns, and some, including this one, the 110, and Battle, with Falcon canopies. Should keep me out of mischief for a while! 

I'll be following this to see what, if any, problems you find!

Ian

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have this, a 109, 110, Spit, Defiant, Blenheim Mk1F, and Battle in the stash, all (except the Battle) with the Eduard interiors, most with aftermarket guns, and some, including this one, the 110, and Battle, with Falcon canopies.

Ian

Ian, Thats a bit spooky! Thats exactly what my plan is... What Battle do you have? 

Many thanks to Martin, Martian & Jason for commenting.

I'm progressing along, and thoroughly enjoying it. It's actually a relief from big complex kits and I'm finding it very therapeutic. It's a bit like being 10 again...

Bit of a boring shot, but I do love the look of a virgin model primed. Looking all pristine, waiting for me to cock it up further down the line:

3_D8357_F3-_DD7_E-4274-9064-_CC0_EB6_F72

I'm going a bit experimental on this one and decided to go for some radical pre shading:

263_F6_A71-2333-4_C1_F-_B293-_FB1_FB6_BA

1_EDCA6_DB-_CA69-419_D-_BAE3-_AE6_C8_B5_

followed again by a light coat of the RLM 71 Dunkelgrun

BC2496_C3-01_E3-43_BE-_A322-_B69_A138_E0

Just waiting for that to dry fully and then I'll mask up for the RLM 70 Schwarzgrun.

I'm using Mr. Paint - MRP lacquer paints - they spray like a dream!

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 3

Thanks Ian & Neil,

I’ve masked up the second colour - although I cheated and used a pre cut mask set by Top Notch. Much easier, but I’m not a fan of vinyl masks, they just don’t conform to any kind of contouring. How people use the vinyl masks on canopies I don’t know (I used the Eduard tape here). That said, it looks nice and a lot easier than cutting up strips of masking tape. 

I also painted the details including some subtle (I hope) chipping.

7_DBAAD92-_F387-4_D5_D-935_D-_D91_F4_D8_

I’ve just glossed up (using Alcad Aqua Gloss) and it’s going in the drying cupboard for a few days (I’m off to work tonight). Then :P decals! 

Thanks

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 4

Just finished decalling - and gutted to realise there are no swastikas included. None in the spares box as I don’t make 1/72 usually. So will have to go on hold until I can source a pair.

I’m after the Battle of Britain Xtradecal set - x72118. I’ve just posted in the wanted section, if I manage to get a set that would solve the problem...

Guy

An update..

I have just about finished her off.. but got to taking off the masks on the front windshield and some overspray had gotten on the interior (maybe that’s underspray?)   :think: and I can’t remove it to my satisfaction, so I’m now having to wait on a replacement part from Airfix... :huh:

Its becoming a long build! 

I will post when it’s finally finished... 

Guy

• Sad 1