"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

In a push to get the turrets finished and ready for glossing and decaling - it was time to get the barrels in...

...at last I hear you say...

CROM198.jpg

CROM199.jpg

CROM200.jpg

CROM201.jpg

I am rather pleased with them :D

• Like 2

As @badger seems to have gone to bed - and who can blame him - I had to think for myself - tricky at the best of times and figure out how to tone down my pillar box red paint.

A drop of black seems to have done the trick...

CROM195.jpg

so I got the extinguishers and other tools painted - again a little neatening with SCC15 will be required when these have properly dried...

CROM196.jpg

...again I'm reasonably pleased and the top hulls are almost ready for their gloss coat too - then it's decal time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the underside I managed to get the tracks covered in their first coat - gunmetal...

CROM202.jpg

CROM203.jpg

CROM204.jpg

The tracks are going to need a few stages - slow work - but something to do between decal sessions.

Whilst the gunmetal was on the brush I painted the machine guns too...

CROM194.jpg

• Like 2

So it's been a fiddly evening - with lots of itty bitty jobs and tiny dabs of paint and glue...

CROM197.jpg

It's really late now - so even though it's Sunday now - Sunday will really start in earnest with some gloss varnish and when that's dry - well there is plenty still to do.

So I'm off to bed now :sleep_1:

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 1

On 02/02/2018 at 10:34 PM, BIG X said:

'What 1/72 or 1/76 kits would you recommend to a pair of AFV newbies - who normally make wingy things AND are prone to the odd mishap'.

I'd second Ben's recommendation for the Heller 1/72 M4A2 as an excellent choice, if you do proceed down this route I can send you and @Lawzer some British stowage boxes from the many extras in my UM kits.

For the Germans maybe take a look at the Revell Kingtiger 'Production Turret':

01-20_zpsb91675a2.jpg

Is a very respectable kit, you can build it without needing to add zimmerit and the kit builds up very nicely so long as you don't follow the kit instructions for the L&L track to the letter.....Just start at the sprocket and use common sense.  :nerd:

Sadly this thing (& to a lesser extent the Sherman) will dwarf your Cromwells.  :confused:

If you are looking for decent kits in 1/76, you are pretty short on options, the old Matchbox kits were generally OKish, but the field is pretty bleak unlss you are prepared to buy good quality wargaming models from Millicast & the like, if that's the case, the world's your oyster (but oysters ain't cheap):  https://www.milicast.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This thread is very dynamic, but I would like come back to wheels painting. I am using the tool from the photo and paint first black rubber bands and then using the right circle to cover this band and I am painting inside. Looks like less hassle then your method (I was doing similar to your way before). 

518IQ2IVEVL._SL500_.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BIG X said:

ugh - tone down with what... :shrug:

Can't remember to be honest - might have used a spot of brown. My aim was to reduce the brightness as straight red looked a bit too much in 1/72.

• Like 1

Sorry - a day at the zoo with little un left me shattered so I was indeed in the land of nod.

You've sorted it nicely though - looks spot on.

Really liking the gunmetal shade for the tracks - might investigate some of the vallejo metal paints.

Gun barrels look much better than the kit one.

Looking forward to seeing how these progress. Please don't forget the decals though!

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

Oh my...  It's 1pm and I haven't got a thing done all morning.  I'm having 'one of those days'.  I've tidied the bench and put a new liner in the spray booth.  The airbrush has had a clean and the gloss varnish has had a vigorous shake.  I just can't get going - all I need to do is put some gloss in the brush and spray - it's not difficult I know...

Does anyone else suffer with this 'failure to launch' syndrome :shrug: 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Oh my...  It's 1pm and I haven't got a thing done all morning.  I'm having 'one of those days'.  I've tidied the bench and put a new liner in the spray booth.  The airbrush has had a clean and the gloss varnish has had a vigorous shake.  I just can't get going - all I need to do is put some gloss in the brush and spray - it's not difficult I know...

Does anyone else suffer with this 'failure to launch' syndrome :shrug: 

A few builds i've done (the he111 especially) where i've been exactly the same.  Almost anything to avoid it.  But bear in mind how much you've got done on them already........you'll getbthere!

• Thanks 1

Why didn't you just spin the cocktail sticks round and hand paint the wheels? :wicked: I usually do that TBH.  I've got a very small flat brush that I use, and that does the trick nicely.  Also, did you use black or tyre black? :unsure:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd second Ben's recommendation for the Heller 1/72 M4A2 as an excellent choice, if you do proceed down this route I can send you and @Lawzer some British stowage boxes from the many extras in my UM kits.

For the Germans maybe take a look at the Revell Kingtiger 'Production Turret':

01-20_zpsb91675a2.jpg

Is a very respectable kit, you can build it without needing to add zimmerit and the kit builds up very nicely so long as you don't follow the kit instructions for the L&L track to the letter.....Just start at the sprocket and use common sense.  :nerd:

Sadly this thing (& to a lesser extent the Sherman) will dwarf your Cromwells.  :confused:

If you are looking for decent kits in 1/76, you are pretty short on options, the old Matchbox kits were generally OKish, but the field is pretty bleak unlss you are prepared to buy good quality wargaming models from Millicast & the like, if that's the case, the world's your oyster (but oysters ain't cheap):  https://www.milicast.com/

Sarge - that is one sexy looking tank and I've done a bit of googling to see if the British 11th Armoured ever encounter them - the good news is - THEY DID :yahoo: I might have to bag a couple of these - thanks.

10 hours ago, Kris B said:

This thread is very dynamic, but I would like come back to wheels painting. I am using the tool from the photo and paint first black rubber bands and then using the right circle to cover this band and I am painting inside. Looks like less hassle then your method (I was doing similar to your way before). 

518IQ2IVEVL._SL500_.jpg

Dynamic is not a word often uttered in my WIP's - rambling or confused is closer to the mark - looks like a cool tool - thanks for the tip Kris...

7 hours ago, badger said:

Sorry - a day at the zoo with little un left me shattered so I was indeed in the land of nod.

You've sorted it nicely though - looks spot on.

Really liking the gunmetal shade for the tracks - might investigate some of the vallejo metal paints.

Gun barrels look much better than the kit one.

Looking forward to seeing how these progress. Please don't forget the decals though!

All the best

Ben

The gunmetal is the first stage for the tracks Ben - closely followed by - gloss / red rust / gloss / dark dirt / gloss / dusty dirt / matt

3 hours ago, Lawzer said:

A few builds i've done (the he111 especially) where i've been exactly the same.  Almost anything to avoid it.  But bear in mind how much you've got done on them already........you'll getbthere!

It's not that I am bored or scared by the build Ian - it's weird - but I have now got the glossing done you'll be pleased to hear - I'll post some pictures later maybe - but everything is getting a 'proper' amount of time to dry before I jmp on them with the decals.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Why didn't you just spin the cocktail sticks round and hand paint the wheels? :wicked: I usually do that TBH.  I've got a very small flat brush that I use, and that does the trick nicely.  Also, did you use black or tyre black? :unsure:

I'm trying proper black for this build - the tyre black seems to be 'getting lost' against the scc15 - which is a very 'greyish green' - don't worry - it won't look too stark when the dusty layer and matt varnish go on later.

I've been taking a closer look at my 3 'Tank Commanders'...

CROM151.jpg

...and they all seem to be wearing 'bomber jackets' - this is the only reference I have for colours...

CROM079.jpg

...any useful suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks as always - Steve

With regard to the clothing I'd go with a pixie suit as they were fairly bulky.

Shades varied but a light khaki drill / sandy beige seems to be typical.

All the best

Ben

21 minutes ago, badger said:

With regard to the clothing I'd go with a pixie suit as they were fairly bulky.

Shades varied but a light khaki drill / sandy beige seems to be typical.

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben - you are a :star: as always.  I have found some pictures that look like they fit the bill.

Please excuse the fact that the first guy looks like he is one of the 'walking dead'...

38973a6e80d77a74d0adb79c772e8346.jpg

and this guy has a look of...

fullsizerender44.jpg

...Thomas Dolby...

2113.jpg

...hey - maybe I  could do one as Thomas Dolby...

dolby-thomas-image.jpg

Pixie009.JPG

• Like 1

OK - less fooling about - a quick update on the uniforms and then I have some serious questions on the decals.

In a radical departure from my normal painting procedure for 'tiny figures' - I have gone down a slightly back to front route - see here...

CROM206.jpg

I've test painted one of the crew black - on the basis that - the beret / headphones / binoculars / radio leads are all black.  I intend to 'infill' the other colours as I go along.

For the 'pixie suit' - I am going for Khaki Brown - here...

CROM207.jpg

Now I  will be back shortly with some serious decal questions.

The last photo of the pixie suits looks like my old action man!

Colour looks spot on - as can be seen they varied a fair bit in exact shade hut were apparently a popular bit of kit.

On call for decal help

• Thanks 1

OK - SERIOUS QUESTION TIME - HELP AND ADVICE DESPERATELY NEEDED...

In my haste to keep things tidy - I threw the 3 kit boxes away - those flaps on the top edge were seriously bugging me.  I took a picture of the box back - but only low rez and there are no decal instructions 'in' the box - just 'on' the box...

CROM003.jpg

This isn't the scheme I actually want anyway - but I will be using some of the decals.  I am doing 11th armoured / armoured recce regiment - which could be 2nd Northants Yeomanry or 15/19 King's Royal Hussars.  I have the black bulls - so please ignore that fact - oh and I know where they will be going.  Here are the other extra decals I am playing with...

CROM208.jpg

The limited Airfix set are on the left - I will be using at least 1 star - maybe 2 - there is a question coming there.  I will also be using the '45' on the green over blue square and I know where they are going too.

I did find a better picture of the decal instructions for the 'full' kit  - which offers a decal 'choice' - still not exactly what I want - but closer - here it is - I will be using closer shots later...

CROM209.jpg

Please stay with me on this and any help would really be appreciated.

QUESTION 1 - Both schemes show a star on the turret top - which I will follow - but I'm not using the back funnel - the 11th Armoured scheme on the right doesn't have a star on the turret back - but I've read somewhere that they sometimes did - thoughts please...

QUESTION 2 - The 'starter kit' scheme on the left shows the serial no on the turret and on the front and back - the 11th armoured scheme on the right only shows it on the front and back - like a car number plate - again - any thoughts...

QUESTION 3 - The 11th armoured scheme shows the badges on the only logical place they could go on the back - but on the front they are on the plate where the machine gun is housed.  It's a nice position - but could they go on the front mud flaps...

Back with more questions shortly.

Please see the decal close up here - I'll use their numbers for reference...

CROM210.jpg

QUESTION 4 - Decal no 6 - on the front left mud flap appears on this scheme - but not on the 11th armoured - do I want it on - I've boosted the contrast - but basically it says - 16030 3516/LOT here is a close up of the actual decal...

CROM211.jpg 

QUESTION 5 - Decal 4 is a badge - but with writing - I  don't want the decal - as I  will be using a bull - but what about the text - it is very difficult to make out - but will look better on a dark surface - it reads...  THIS VEHICLE IS FILLED WITH ANTI-FREEZE AND SHOULD NOT BE DRAINED - or something very similar - do I want to keep this and lose the RD...

CROM212.jpg

QUESTION 6 - I have 2 sets of squadron markings - any suggestions - would my recce squadron be likely to have any of these...  If so - which colour and symbol do you fancy...

CROM213.jpg

QUESTION 7 - I have only used a bridging plate number up to now on my Halftrack - the 11th armoured scheme here shows a slightly different badge - but would the normal yellow ones below suffice and is it in a good place - or again - what about on the mud flap...

CROM214.jpg

CROM215.jpg

I don't have any 28's - but I have seen plenty of Cromwells with 27's on - put them on - or leave them off...

I think that is plenty for now - but I may be back...

Thanks in advance for the sage advice - Steve

Hi Steve

Having consulted the references I can offer the following thoughts based on actual wartime photos rather than restorations or models;

Q1 - unsure as I don't have any photos of 11th AD turret rears. From looking at all my cromwell references it seems it was fairly rare. Maybe add it to one? I've done a guards armoured cromwell with it based off a series of photos of the regt in holland  so I know it was used.

Q2 - serial front and back seems to be pretty standard and is on most photos. I've seen some 11th AD with it on the turret sides and some without so again maybe a mix?

Q3 - Standard postion was to the right of the hull mg looking at the front of the tank. This is on all photos.

Q4 - This is a landing craft reference number, probably chalked on and would have washed off pretty quickly. Whilst they can be seen on photos they are ones dated within a few days of d-day.

I'd leave off.

Q5 - This is an instruction to not drain anti-freeze. It seems common on early photos of Cromwells but I'm struggling to see it on any post d-day. I would guess (and it is only that) they were overpainted if the tanks were repainted SCC15.

Probably leave off.

Q6 - These don't seem common on Cromwells. None of the 11th AD photos I have show them. As best as I can tell they would have been white for the recce rgt. Diamond for HQ, Triangle for A squadron, Square for B and a Circle for C.

Personally I'd leave them off.

Q7 - The "hollow" decal is a variant and can be seen on 11th AD Cromwells with a weight of 28.

However I have photos of Cromwells showing from 26-30 on both styles (solid and hollow), so go with what you have.

Hope that all helps

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Hey I  found a similar sign - on a Sherman - courtesy of our own @Army_Air_Force Steve Carr - thanks Steve...

CROM216.jpg

...it's here on the Sherman - wouldn't work for a Cromwell in this position - maybe I  should save them for my other PSC Shermans - which don't come with any decals at all...

CROM217.jpg

• Like 1