"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Three at a time, that's the way to build 'em!  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent start and progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Oh - it's all good fun - until you do something wrong - and you find you've done it 3 times :doh:

Remember the old adage - measure twice - cut once - I don't know what the modelling equivalent for making 3 models is - but I'm being careful - whilst having fun - for now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In the famous words of Dickson of Dockgreen - Evening All...

I snuck off work a bit early - but then again I was in early too - so what comes around - goes around as they say.  That has given me the chance to get a bit done before tea.  First off I have trimmed out the tracks and smoothed the main seam line...

CROM023.jpg

I'm unsure about the other line that goes all the way round - kind of tiny triangles - so I am guessing they belong there.  Anyway priming and painting these is a long way off yet - so I'll worry about that later.

Time for a bit of work on the top of the hull...

CROM024.jpg

...after removing the bits of sprue the first real job is to stick this little round thing on...

CROM025.jpg

Now call me pedantic - but that could have been moulded on surely...

CROM026.jpg 

Next up are the storage boxes that go on the sides...

CROM027.jpg

The mating surfaces are actually quite minimal and there is nothing to actually locate them 'properly' - but I 'm guessing you could leave them off - so you don't want pins and holes where you may not want them...

CROM028.jpg

hmmm - either the boxes or more likely the hull tops are not as flat as they look - more clamps required...

CROM029.jpg

Whilst these set I'm off for some tea.  More fun later folks... :D

• Like 5

It's like seeing one of those pictures of war time tank production! 👌

It's a fun little kit eh?

you said earlier about who follows instructions...i was flumuxed when i came to fit the wheels then the tracks and wondered why none fitted.  I'd gone plastic blind and not attached the well, the 2 parts that are fitted in step 2 (d'oh!).  Took me a while to work that one out! 🙄

Edited by Mike
removed photo quote
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

It's like seeing one of those pictures of war time tank production! 👌

It's a fun little kit eh?

Fun indeed - but let's face it - with my eyesight and sausage fingers - I couldn't take things too seriously...

...and if I did - no one else would :lol:

• Haha 3

OK - tea time over - Burritos and rice - we won't be having those again :puke:

...anyway - back to the production line as lawzer put it...

Those natty little side paniers have dried a treat - but a little sanding will be required - at some stage...

CROM030.jpg

CROM031.jpg

The top hulls have a definite bend on them though - from front to back.  A quick test fit against the bases has shown a little clamping of the front end will be required when we get to that stage.  Stay tuned for a bit of a mystery...

• Like 3

Mystery Corner - right - take a look at this...

CROM032.jpg

...this goes on here.  It seems to be some kind of engine vent and all the pictures I have found on the web confirm it does indeed sit 'proud' of the bodywork.

The only problem is - I can't get it to balance for more than a nano second - I just get this...

CROM033.jpg

CROM034.jpg

I did consider drilling these locating holes out - but then it would sit flush - which isn't right - acc rding to images on the tinterwebs...

CROM035.jpg

so...  I've just spent a very fraught hour with some micro strip / some blobs of glue on a cocktail stick / a little ball of blue tack - I hope you like the results...

CROM036.jpg

CROM037.jpg

CROM038.jpg

CROM039.jpg

...that was fun :D

• Like 2

The fun never stops and I've just had my first REAL disaster...

Putting on the engine side panels - which was fiddly to say the least - I managed to chop into one with the side cutters and then snap another one.  They are so thin by the time you have glued them there is no way to hold them  AND to make matters worse they have to be pushed - HARD - to snap into place...

CROM040.jpg

the bottom one has the snap at the back end of the crowbar and the top one has a chop mark at the front end of the crowbar - the middle one went on OK :doh:

Thankfully the ones on the other side were more willing to play ball...

CROM041.jpg

I wonder if it had anything to do with the slight bend in the hull - probably not - how can a chop mark be down to a bent hull (no room for excuses here).

I  think I can squeeze one more job in before bed - something simple - oh and a I need to make a trip up into the loft - but more on that later - catch you soon - Steve

• Like 1

Looking good so far. These are coming together at a fair rate of knots.

A good fix on the intake cover - seem to remember a bit of an issue with it on mine but I fitted the wading gear so not sure.

Don't worry about the damage - that's what stowage is for!

If it makes you feel any better I've managed very little tonight as I've been faffing around with photo etch grilles for most of it!

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, badger said:

Oh - forgot to mention - don't trim the triangles off the tracks. They're the guide pins to keep the (real) tracks from slipping off.

HA - HA - Thank you sir!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking good so far. These are coming together at a fair rate of knots.

A good fix on the intake cover - seem to remember a bit of an issue with it on mine but I fitted the wading gear so not sure.

Don't worry about the damage - that's what stowage is for!

If it makes you feel any better I've managed very little tonight as I've been faffing around with photo etch grilles for most of it!

All the best

Ben

My eyes are getting tired - I just read 'potato etch grilles' :doh:

• Haha 1

OK I have ventured into the loft - where all my 1/48 is residing - away from temptation...

But I'm getting a little tired now - so you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what I found...

So last little job of the day - that funny little front door that goes on the side - I would hate to try squeezing out of it...

CROM042.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

So last little job of the day - that funny little front door that goes on the side - I would hate to try squeezing out of it...

It would have been a problem if it was just that, but it's coupled with the semi circular part above it. The whole part swings outwards giving the gunner a better escape route. On later Cromwells (Mk.lVf), they did the same on the other side for the driver.

John. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It would have been a problem if it was just that, but it's coupled with the semi circular part above it. The whole part swings outwards giving the gunner a better escape route. On later Cromwells (Mk.lVf), they did the same on the other side for the driver.

John. 

...now that makes sense - I see what you are getting at - this swings out and a hole appears on top - I don't know what I was imagining...