"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Before indulging in the food of the gods I did get a bit done...

I like having aerials - where appropriate and I need 2 for each Cromwell turret.  One will sit in the kit part behind the hatch - but the other is located in this 'stump'...

CROM120.jpg

As you can see - at 0.7mm and with a domed top I don't stand a cat in hells chance of drilling a 0.5mm hole in that...  So the solution is the same as with the German Tank Commander's - lop it off...

CROM121.jpg

CROM122.jpg

...another job done x 3 of course... :thumbsup:

Following the sticky wheel incident I have decided to assemble and paint the top and bottom sections separately and then marry the two up later - so the 'mud guards' need to start going on the top part...

CROM126.jpg

meanwhile the bottom gets the front rollers fitted...

CROM127.jpg

back to the top - for 3 rear guards - these were very tricky to line up...

CROM128.jpg

then back to the bottom - whilst the top sets...

CROM129.jpg

CROM130.jpg

I'm leaving the back sprocket off as it needs to be glue free for alignment when the tracks go on.

• Like 2

As I went to the chippy Mrs X has copped for the washing up - this is a democracy don't you know...

I had so much fun last night butchering that 'tanker' I have knocked up another - not as ambitious - but we will see how they look after painting and choose the best two...

CROM116.jpg

I've just taken the guy on the right and lopped off his peak on the cap and then added some arms here...

CROM117.jpg

CROM118.jpg

...a bit of scraping with a scalpel and we'll see how he turns out with a bit of paint - we can but experiment.

The tops and bottoms are definitely going to need a 'squeeze' on the front edge when it comes to marrying them together - but they're beginning to look like tanks...

CROM131.jpg

CROM132.jpg

• Like 2

RIGHT... he says with an air of fool hardy confidence - IT'S PRIMING TIME :thumbsup: :frantic: :mental:

The 'mountain' of blu-tak that sits on the bench is getting chunks ripped off it with great frenzy - first the hub wheels...

CROM133.jpg

the backs of the sprockets and lots of outer wheels...

CROM134.jpg

CROM135.jpg

CROM136.jpg

• Like 2

Bamboo sticks and more blu-tak as 'handles' for the main pieces...

CROM139.jpg

CROM141.jpg

the boys are ready for a quick misting - I  wonder who will come out looking the best???

CROM142.jpg

• Like 1

The mating surfaces have just had a good masking with the old Tamiya tape - I  should get shares in Tamiya tape - though I am using less on AFV's than I do on aircraft...

CROM143.jpg

CROM144.jpg

CROM147.jpg

more blu-tak handles...

CROM145.jpg

CROM146.jpg

OK -it's time to open the window - start the spray booth motor / chuck the air tube out of the window and on with the HALFORDS - rattle / rattle / rattle...

• Like 1

Well that worked out well...

CROM148.jpg

I did forget to put the aerial holder and the flash lamp on though :doh:

CROM149.jpg

...sorted now though..

CROM152.jpg

....anyone for a 'Cromwell Lolly' :lol:

CROM150.jpg

• Like 1

I'm 'wide awake' tonight as it happens - so I'm pressing on for a bit - I want to get the main SCC15 done as 'hopefully' the decals I ordered will be arriving in the next day or so and it would be good to keep the momentum up - these could be the fastest things I've ever built - FUN TOO :D

As I will be doing a single colour on quite large areas I am 'tossing a coin' over what to use...

CROM153.jpg

A 5ml cup seems appropriate - but do I use the 'good' airbrush - or my new little favourite - the 25 quid 'Saturday Night Special' I got from SMS...

CROM154.jpg

I have been using the small one for varnish coats - so it seems a shame to put a colour through it and then have 'deep clean' for more varnish later - so the EVO it is.

The next question I asked myself was - which needle to use.  Now this will 'amuse' @Mike because I have a 'system' which clearly shows me - 'what's in the gun' - because that tube is empty...

CROM155.jpg I

...now when I  bought the brush it came with the 0.2mm needle installed and the 0.4mm in a tube.  Later I added the 0.6mm - which also came in a tube.  So being a bit OCD I found I 'NEEDED' a 0.2mm tube for 'neatness'.  Now you can't buy a 0.2mm tube on it's own - so I put out an SOS on here and  @Mike came to my rescue.

But boy - have I 'paid' for it since - cheers Mike ;)

There he goes again... :wicked:

Anyway - as it's large coverage the 0.6mm is going in and my paint of choice for SCC15 is...

CROM156.jpg

I would show you my spoon comparison tests - but you've probably seen them before - so believe me - makes a great SCC15 and as I've got a few more kits in the wings I thought I should lay a bit of stock in - I wouldn't want to run out...

CROM162.jpg

I even got a free diary with the order - thanks John...

CROM163.jpg

...it's actually really cool and has a stack of multi coloured post it notes bookmarks inside the cover - like this...

72a866535aae80cb0a4adae72c229c7f.png 

...which with all the books I'm using for research will come in very handy - 'small things amuse small minds' - it could be my mantra...:mental:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

I was half way through my tea tonight - when it suddenly hit me...

@badger - this is for you mate...

IMG_0710.jpg

...Mrs X thought I had gone round the bend - but I just couldn't resist getting a shot for you.  :lol:

Flippin Gorgeous...

Just got back in from a 14 hour day - could really eat that right now!!!!

• Like 2

I have to say - simply have to say - so don't stop me Mike...

I'm really glad I got a quiet spray booth and a quiet compressor.  Spraying at this time of night  - with Mrs X catching her beauty sleep - I'd never get away with it if they were even the slightest bit noisy.

Anyway - the SCC15 is on :yahoo:

CROM157.jpg

CROM172.jpg

CROM160.jpg

CROM161.jpg

OK - time to call it a night I think - as always thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 4

Excellent progress! 

Wish I could build and paint that fast!

Fancy doing a load of mine for me? Only about 300 in the stash!!!!

That'll take you till Christmas then.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

Excellent progress! 

Wish I could build and paint that fast!

Fancy doing a load of mine for me? Only about 300 in the stash!!!!

That'll take you till Christmas then.

All the best

Ben

I seem to be on a roll...

...it won't last though - those figures are going to slow me down - I can see it coming...

This week has gone really well though - famous last words eh :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wasn't at all convinced by your choice of colour until I saw it on the kits.....Every day's a school day, as they say!  :coolio:

Thanks for that.  @badger was good enough to post me some pre-painted samples of what he uses for various AFV subjects including SCC15 and US OD etc...  He was also good enough to list a load of colours for other things - such as uniform call outs etc.

Every time I buy a new paint colour I prime and paint a plastic teaspoon and write the colour number on the inside face.  This allows me to make direct colour comparisons 'paint to paint'.  It all started when I realised Humbrol DARK GREEN for my aircraft was actually nothing like the colour it should be for BoB aircraft - but that's a completely different can or worms...

I'm only doing any of this for 'fun' and I don't take myself too seriously or get tied in knots about 'tiny details' - but it is nice to 'make the effort' where possible :D

Now seeing as you were naughty enough to encourage this - here are some spoons...

image.jpg 

image.jpg

I thank you...:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

Thanks for that.  @badger

Now seeing as you were naughty enough to encourage this - here are some spoons...

image.jpg 

image.jpg

I thank you...:D

YAYYYYYY..... SPOONS! I really must paint some more of mine :smirk:

And.... nice going with the painting too Steve! :coolio:

Regards.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

There has been a lot of unnecessary photo-quoting going on here, which I've just tidied up.  When you're replying to the last post, there's no need to quote a whole slew of photographs again, just click/tap Reply to Thread instead.  Thank you :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Hi guys,

There has been a lot of unnecessary photo-quoting going on here, which I've just tidied up.  When you're replying to the last post, there's no need to quote a whole slew of photographs again, just click/tap Reply to Thread instead.  Thank you :)

top tip :thanks:

Nothing to report tonight - there is nothing to see here honestly - please move along now...

...OK - I think they've gone - I've been really busy with 'real' work today - so maybe there isn't much to report - but in my haste to progress things last night - I made a major boo boo...

Can you spot the 'deliberate' mistake here...

CROM172.jpg

...there are points available for the correct answer - which is actually blindingly obvious...