"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

1 minute ago, Ratch said:

Skytrex do decals for 2nd Northants

409551924.jpg

409551925.jpg

Thanks Ratch - I have some of the decals you mention - see further back in the thread...

The trouble is the lower blue portion is way too dark - navy - when it should be a mid blue.

Really nice tank by the way - I'm sure mine won't measure up to yours - but I'm trying...

The support and suggestion is really appreciated.

BTW - what version of a Cromwell is yours - no turret - was it a clearance towing unit???

• Like 1

Whilst I've been wittering tonight - I've also been whittling...

The Airfix kit offers the option of an open hatch and as we are looking at a 'Recce' regiment it makes sense that some of the tank commanders would have they're heads 'above the parapets'.  However, they don't offer a crewman.  I  found these pictures at work today...

CROM079.jpg

cool eh??? 

• Like 1

The PSC Sherman I built last year had a tank commander - in fact as you get 3 tanks in the box - you get 3 commanders - but all in the same pose.

So that's one sorted.  The trouble is it's quite a slim line hatch and I  think he had a big breakfast - so I've had to whittle his midriff down a little...

CROM086.jpg

CROM087.jpg

CROM088.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a further rummage around and found a set of German tank commanders and I liked this one - with his binoculars at the ready...

CROM080.jpg

...obviously the head won't do - so 'off with his head' and another tummy trim...

CROM081.jpg

...a bit of drilling...

now - if you saw my recent Loyd Carrier build you may have spotted the passengers wearing berets...

CROM084.jpg

...a couple of dabs of super glue later...

CROM085.jpg

that's better - but not quite right - he needs headphones - I must be mad :mental:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PSC are a moderately bulky 1/72 so you might find they look a bit chunky in the Airfix 1/76 kit.

I've put them all on a strict diet and they are wearing corsets... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I knew a gentleman called Reg Spittals. He commanded a Cromwell with the 2nd Northants after D-Day and had a couple of photos of his tank.
The single star on the rear of the turret should be a stencilled, circled star on the engine bay doors, the serials on the turret should be lower and there were squadron signs painted high on the forward plate. He also gave some valuable insight into the Cromwell. The Commander's cupola could be rotated so that the hatch opened 'sideways', and he placed a sack of earth behind his head. This saved him when an artillery round landed on the engine deck, blowing the turret forward. A helmet was placed over the searchlight and chicken-wire was fixed over the turret to poke camo into. Of course, this didn't help much if you was crossing a cornfield. The outline of the turret was further broken up with the attachment of bags, spare wheels, jerry cans etc etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never made 1/72 headphones - I don't know if anyone esle has either - if so please post some pictures - but here are mine...

First I made a headband and chopped up a pile of rod - looking for something suitable...

CROM089.jpg

CROM090.jpg

Bending that headband was trickier than I  thought - as so many things in this hobby are...

CROM091.jpg

bit of trimming was required when it set - then on with the 'earmuffs'...

CROM093.jpg

CROM094.jpg

CROM095.jpg

I think he has a look of the F1 driver - that crazy Ozzy - Daniel Riccardo...

CROM096.jpg

Here's the test fit after they have been to 'fat club' - you know the first rule of 'fat club'...

...you never talk about fat club...

CROM097.jpg

CROM098.jpg

I've put the third cover down - but I'm sure I could pop it out again...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I knew a gentleman called Reg Spittals. He commanded a Cromwell with the 2nd Northants after D-Day and had a couple of photos of his tank.
The single star on the rear of the turret should be a stencilled, circled star on the engine bay doors, the serials on the turret should be lower and there were squadron signs painted high on the forward plate. He also gave some valuable insight into the Cromwell. The Commander's cupola could be rotated so that the hatch opened 'sideways', and he placed a sack of earth behind his head. This saved him when an artillery round landed on the engine deck, blowing the turret forward. A helmet was placed over the searchlight and chicken-wire was fixed over the turret to poke camo into. Of course, this didn't help much if you was crossing a cornfield. The outline of the turret was further broken up with the attachment of bags, spare wheels, jerry cans etc etc

All sounds massively interesting - I'm currently reading this...

il_570xN.985367841_xtzq.jpg

I don't know if you've come across it - it was written in early 1946 by the Division themselves and distributed to surviving members of the division and their families.

2NY only served with 11DIV until 8th August '44 when their duties as the Recce Regiment were taken over by 15/19 Kings Royal Hussars.

It's an mazing book - tricky to find too - it's not like you can buy a modern copy or anything.  It is an amazing tribute to men such as your friend Reg.

• Like 2

I have been dreading this bit - those damn hatch covers - there really is nothing to locate them to AND there is that horrible pin mark - but I'll deal with them when the hatches are 'welded' in place and I have something to grab hold of - like the turret itself...

CROM099.jpg

CROM100.jpg

CROM101.jpg

CROM102.jpg

The guys are slim enough now - but wobble about a bit.  There is a 'seat thing' inside - so I've added a bit of sprue so they can sit on it...

CROM103.jpg

CROM104.jpg

...all in all I'm pleased with that - now I better get to bed - I've been up since 5am - hopefully some more work and updates tomorrow - sorry make that today :sleep_1: 

• Like 3

Great progress - love the defected commander figure and the scratchbuild headphones :yes:

Grr - hatches! I've lost count of the number of times I've had to wrestle the carpet monster to retrieve one when it's pinged out of my tweezers.

I now superglue them for a bit of extra strength, rather than use plastic glue.

Seems like a good solution for the decals - be interested how the PSC ones turn out.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

All sounds massively interesting - I'm currently reading this...

I don't know if you've come across it - it was written in early 1946 by the Division themselves and distributed to surviving members of the division and their families.

2NY only served with 11DIV until 8th August '44 when their duties as the Recce Regiment were taken over by 15/19 Kings Royal Hussars.

It's an mazing book - tricky to find too - it's not like you can buy a modern copy or anything.  It is an amazing tribute to men such as your friend Reg.

No I wasn't aware of that book, though my interest is particularly the Northamptonshire regiments. Reg joined up in 1939 and saw his first action on D-Day +6 (IIRC). He went right through to Berlin and had three Cromwells blown up under him and lost several crew members. Reg himself passed away a couple of years ago. He was a lovely man who visited local schools, telling the children about his wartime memories. I was fortunate to meet him at the Northants Military Modelling Society and was invited to his home to see his photographs and memorabilia. RIP Reg.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Ratch said:

No I wasn't aware of that book, though my interest is particularly the Northamptonshire regiments. Reg joined up in 1939 and saw his first action on D-Day +6 (IIRC). He went right through to Berlin and had three Cromwells blown up under him and lost several crew members. Reg himself passed away a couple of years ago. He was a lovely man who visited local schools, telling the children about his wartime memories. I was fortunate to meet him at the Northants Military Modelling Society and was invited to his home to see his photographs and memorabilia. RIP Reg.

Here is the list of fallen from 2nd NY during the Normandy Campaign...

L/SJT      R W        ADDINTON                         30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        W T        ANDREW                             30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

CPL         L C          ATKINSON                          18/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        W S        BARKER                               26/06/1944         CHEUX

L/CPL     A             BARKER                              30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

L/SJT      A E          BAYLISS                              19/07/1944         CAEN

LT            A C         BOUCHER                          19/07/1944         CAEN

L/CPL     R A E      BRADSHAW                       30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        W H        BREEN                                30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        T H          BUCKBY                             30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        C B          BUCKLEY                              02/07/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

SJT          M H        BURGESS                             30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

CPL         H             BURROWS                           03/08/1944         ST MARTIN DES BESACES

CPL         R             CLARKSON                          19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        R             COLLINGHAM                    30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        C N L      COLLINGS                            18/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        M E        COOK                                    19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        W H        COOK                                    04/08/1944         VIRE

CAPT     M            COOKE-HURLE                   03/08/1944         VIRE

TPR        F W        CORE                                     03/08/1944         VIRE

CPL         R             COUZENS                            30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

SJT          W E S     COVENEY                             12/07/1944         CHEUX

L/SJT      E W        COX                                       19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        P             DAVEY                                  19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        F              DEVER                                   30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        H F B      DILLON-TRENCHARD      28/06/1944         CHEUX

2/LT       R E          DOLBY                                   03/08/1944         VIRE

L/SJT      F J           DRIVER                                 31/07/1944         ST MARTIN DES BESACES

TPR        A S          EAVES                                   19/07/1944         CAEN

LT            A H         EHRENFELD                         03/08/1944         VIRE

LT            E R          FLETCHER                            28/06/1944         CHEUX

TPR        E F          FRANKLAND                       19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        W            FRENCH                                31/07/1944         ST MARTIN DES BESACES

TPR        W            GRAHAM                             19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        E S          GREEN                                  28/06/1944         CHEUX

TPR        G F A     GUY                                       30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        C E          HANMAN                            26/06/1944         CHEUX

TPR        J              HEALY                                   26/06/1944         CHEUX

TPR        L              HICKEN                                 28/06/1944         CHEUX

LT            J G          HOBSON                              30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

L/CPL     F              HOLMES                               31/07/1944         NOT LISTED

TPR        F A          HOMEWOOD                     03/08/1944         VIRE

TPR        W H J     HOWARD                             03/08/1944         VIRE

L/CPL     J              HUTCHISON                       03/08/1944         ST MARTIN DES BESACES

CPL         A             JEFFERSON                         19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        P A         KING                                     30/06/1944         NOT LISTED

TPR        H F          LAVENDER                          31/07/1944         ST MARTIN DES BESACES

L/CPL     S H          LEIGH                                    31/07/1944         ST MARTIN DES BESACES

LT            F C          LOWINGER                         30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        E M        MacGREGOR                      03/08/1944         VIRE

TPR        B             MADDERN                          26/06/1944         CHEUX

LT            P J           MANTON                            04/08/1944         VIRE

TPR        R J           MARTIN                               30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        M M      MARTIN                               19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        R W T     MARVEN                             30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        E              MEADOWCROFT              19/07/1944         CAEN

L/CPL     B             MITCHELL                            30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        R W C    MORROW                           19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        A             MUIRHEAD                         26/06/1944         CHEUX

TPR        J              NIBLOCK                              18/07/1944         CAEN

SJT          W E J      NOBLE                                  04/08/1944         VIRE

MAJ       G F         PECK                                      19/07/1944         COURMELLES

CAPT     W J M    RAYNSFORD                       26/06/1944         CHEUX

CPL         W J         RICHINGS                            04/08/1944         VIRE

L/CPL     J T           ROLLINSON                        30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        R W        ROWLANDS                        30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

SJT          A             SCOFIELD                             19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        J              SCOTT                                   04/08/1944         VIRE

LT            N P         SHARPE                               30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        R             SHEARER                              30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        H             SINCLAIR                             30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

L/SJT      J L           SMITH                                   19/07/1944         CAEN

L/CPL     E H          SMITH                                   16/08/1944         NOT LISTED

SJT          N A         SPENCE                                 18/07/1944         CAEN

LT            W G       SPRY                                      30/06/1944         CHEUX

CPL         I B           SUTHERLAND                     30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

TPR        W J         THOMAS                              19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        F              THOMPSON                       30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

L/SJT      F W        TITCOMBE                           16/08/1944         NOT LISTED

SJT          J O          TOOLEY                                 19/07/1944         CAEN

TPR        D             UTTING                                 03/08/1944         VIRE

L/CPL     J W         WARREN                              20/07/1944         NOT LISTED

TPR        S J           WETHERELL                         30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

LT            S J           WHITE                                   19/07/1944         COURMELLES

TPR        D H         WHITE                                   03/08/1944         VIRE

CPL         F J           WOOLEY                              30/06/1944         BRETTEVILLETTE

2/LT       R C B      WYMAN                               04/08/1944         VIRE

When you consider each of these entries represents a human life - it is very sobering that so many lost their lives in such a short period of time - it is right that we remember them and remember them well...

Which Regiment did Reg serve with after August '44 - when 2nd NY was disbanded???

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I thought he was with 2NY right through, and now its too late to ask

After leaving the 20th Armoured Brigade in 1943, the 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry was converted to an Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment and assigned to the 11th Armoured Division. The regiment landed in Normandy in June 1944. In August, it was disbanded and it members were drafted to other regiments.

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

OK - TOO LATE - 2sets ordered - but not using the 15mm code on the picture - using the link that @Sgt.Squarehead posted - thank you for the link and I'll report back on their quality.

I hope they turn up quickly - I have zero patience...

WELL DONE PSC - ordered these decals about 10pm last night and by 10am this morning they are confirmed as 'shipped' - smashing service - if they come first class I might get them by weekend - better get some painting done :D

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BIG X said:

WELL DONE PSC - ordered these decals about 10pm last night and by 10am this morning they are confirmed as 'shipped' - smashing service - if they come first class I might get them by weekend - better get some painting done :D

you gonna go for the supplied tinlets?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

you gonna go for the supplied tinlets?

no way...  I have 'previous' with humbrol plastic pots...

...cost me a pair of brand new jeans too :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Day 5 - I started today with a little light wheel scratching - these are the front rollers...

CROM105.jpg

...these go on the outside of the tracks and marry up wit a set on the inside.  To be fair, they didn't put up much of a fight...

CROM106.jpg

...here they are - ready for some primer / scc15 and tyre black around the edges.

exciting stuff eh...

Then it was on to the mother of all boring jobs though - 60 of these...

CROM107.jpg

Just getting them off the sprues was a herculean task - plastic pinging everywhere...

CROM108.jpg

So here we have what can only be described as a 'bucket load of fun'...

CROM109.jpg

scrape / scrape / scrape - polish / polish / polish - yawn / yawn / yawn...

• Like 1

It's all coming back to me now...

...why have I never been interested in build AFV's???

Ah yes - I'd heard loads of stories about people spending hours and days laboriously piecing together endless lengths of tank track. :sleep_1: 

Now there is something to be said for carefully trimming and sanding a wheel until it looks perfect - but 60 - c'mon - you cannot be serious. :frantic:

Anyway...  After this super exciting task was complete I  decided to have a test fit of one of the sets of inside wheels.  It all looked good - until I came to take them off again...

CROM110.jpg

...this one simply won't come off.

Looking on the bright side it has helped me decide how I am going to handle the rest of the build... :doh:

So here is where we are up to...

CROM111.jpg

• Like 2

That's some wheely fantastic work (get it ;) )....

I love that last shot - VERY organised.....if that were me there would just be a pile of rumbled up bits.....:D

Edited by Lawzer
  • Haha 1

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:57, badger said:

And don't get me started on why no chippy down south does gravy on chips!!!, or breaded fish, or proper mushy peas!!!

Ben (a proud northerner exiled to the south!)

I was half way through my tea tonight - when it suddenly hit me...

@badger - this is for you mate...

IMG_0710.jpg

...Mrs X thought I had gone round the bend - but I just couldn't resist getting a shot for you.  :lol:

Flippin Gorgeous...

• Haha 3