"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Just now, Mike said:

:lol: I'll tell him next time he's vertical ;)  I did help him with the cutting of parts off the sprues, but 90% of the placement and gluing was done by him.  Those top hatches were a PITA though, as they have very little gluing surface, and yes.  leaving that ejector pin mark on the hatch inner really did have me twitching :wacko:

whoops - just spotted those pin marks on mine - mr surfacer to the rescue...

I'll have to dig out the "finished" model sometime and take some photos.  He kind of blatted it with paint, then found some rust pigments and washes I was using, and we ended up with one ratty-looking Cromwell :owww:

• Like 1

Next up for today...

On with the backs...

CROM066.jpg

then the sides...

CROM067.jpg

bit of filling required here - AND YES - I SPOTTED IT - the front plate - under the guns - it's a bit scruffy and needs a smoothing. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'll have to dig out the "finished" model sometime and take some photos.  He kind of blatted it with paint, then found some rust pigments and washes I was using, and we ended up with one ratty-looking Cromwell :owww:

ratty looking eh...

so 8th army...

desert rats...

I'll get me coat :coat:

10 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are those decals definitely for 1/76 or 20mm gaming.....If they are I'm kinda tempted, the decals I have are awful.  :shrug:

ARRGGGHHH...

If I had looked carefully at this picture - it clearly says 1/56 scale :doh:

On the bright side - you have saved me a 150 mile round trip...

wgb-dec-025-11th-arm-div-decals_grande.jpeg?v=1397473504

RIGHT - I'm off to sulk - really I am...

PSC do a range of fairly generic decals, these are Allied 1/72, might be something there:

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60_61_80_81

Can't vouch for quality.....Yet.  I will be trying them on my Shermans if I can find something to suit.  :coolio:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PSC do a range of fairly generic decals, these are Allied 1/72, might be something there:

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60_61_80_81

Can't vouch for quality.....Yet.  I will be trying them on my Shermans if I can find something to suit.  :coolio:

Right - you might be on to something here - off to google a bit more - stay right there...

RIGHT - I'm back - again...

The PSC website doesn't show a picture for the polish armoured decals...

but a third party website does...

note the arrows here...

dec15017a.jpg

ta da - but I'll be beggared if I'm driving to West Sussex tomorrow - but I might order on-line - IF I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG - SOMEONE PLEASE STOP ME BEFORE BEDTIME...

OK - TOO LATE - 2sets ordered - but not using the 15mm code on the picture - using the link that @Sgt.Squarehead posted - thank you for the link and I'll report back on their quality.

I hope they turn up quickly - I have zero patience...

So - back to the job in hand...

...even though I've ordered metal barrels - I  couldn't resist a quick mess with the kit parts...

CROM069.jpg

as you can see - the muzzle brakes are split in half - with a small piece to stick in on.  I managed to break 2 of them just looking at them - so I reckon it's a pretty shoddy design stunt.

I think a solid muzzle would have worked better - allowing you to drill it out - which would have been much easier.  Still I  thought I'd still clean the barrels up - before binning them - new blade required...

CROM070.jpg

they cleaned up OK - pity about the muzzles as I say...

CROM071.jpg

A test fit of the turret reveals it is very 'snug' - maybe too snug...

CROM073.jpg

...it might scuff the paint when I'm 'playing tanks' with it later...

• Haha 1

This is where I'm up to...

CROM075.jpg

...as you can maybe make out - there are 3 sprues now - FULL OF WHEELS - so I had better make a start - first off those nasty rear sprockets...

CROM076.jpg

CROM077.jpg

...after a lot of cutting / sanding / drilling - I  think I have the trickiest bit done...

CROM078.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I always relieve the turret ring, a few layers of paint can have it locked up solid if you don't.....I play with my tanks too!  ;)

what do you mean - relieve...

...I don't follow you... :shrug:

Do you think there is some sort of secret competition to see who can put the silliest set of sprue gates on a sprocket?  :mental:

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

what do you mean - relieve...

The big round holey things in the top of the hull.....Make them a bit bigger, rounder and holier (I use sandpaper around a suitably tubular thing).  ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Arachnid said:

You could be in Palestine or over the border behind the Chinese lines,with the boys from the Mersey,the Trent and the Tyne ..

😁

I thought it was the Mersey, the THAMES and the Tyne...

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Do you think there is some sort of secret competition to see who can put the silliest set of sprue gates on a sprocket?  :mental:

The big round holey things in the top of the hull.....Make them a bit bigger, rounder and holier (I use sandpaper around a suitably tubular thing).  ;)

technical terms eh - trying to baffle me with tecno tank talk...:lol:

• Haha 1