Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

BIG X

"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

Recommended Posts

Don't start me talking - I could talk all night

My mind goes sleepwalking - While I'm putting the world to right

 

Called careers information - Have you got yourself an occupation?

 

Oliver's army is here to stay

Oliver's army are on their way

And I would rather be anywhere else

But here today

 

There was a checkpoint Charlie - He didn't crack a smile

But it's no laughing party - When you've been on the murder mile

 

Only takes one itchy trigger…

 

Go on – admit it – your singing along already…

 

So where do we start and who do we blame for this latest escapade into the world of tiny tanks?  Was it @badger for getting me interested in AFV’s in the first place?  Was it ALDI for putting an offer on these bad boys for £4.99 each?  Was it @Lawzer for building one and then teasing me with the pictures of his triumph?  Was it the PLASTIC SOLDIER COMPANY for luring me into the belief that these things are ‘easy and fast’ to put together?

 

Anyway – let’s not apportion blame - until things start to go wrong of course… :giggle:

 

So let’s get going shall we and what better way to start than with the ‘box’ shot…

 

CROM002.jpg

 

CROM003.jpg

 

...well 3 boxes to be accurate...

 

CROM001.jpg 

 

...as usual I'm sure to have lots of questions along the way and as this is my first 'real AFV' kit(s) I'm sure to need some expert help - so I  hope a few folk will tag along and keep my spirits up when it all goes pear shaped.

 

More updates after tea - Steve :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't blame me guvnor - big boys told me to do it....😂

 

I'll be watchind the build with interest - thrice the fun for your money!

 

like i said the only real issue were the rear sprockets.  Oh, the the machine gun (not the one on the turret - the other one) on MANY occasions looked like it was going to break off.

 

since it was such a small subject i brush painted using the tinlets supplied.  Seemed to go on ok....

 

i'm still checking my aldi's now - just in case they find another one through the back......

Edited by Lawzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye up Steve.

 

Nice to see you back again with more armour.

 

Will watch with interest to see what you do with these :winkgrin:

 

Regards,

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At a whopping 91 parts per kit and considering it can take me a month to complete a ‘fast build’ PSC kit with around 20 parts max – this could take a while…

 

My maths says that with 273 pieces and with my rate of work that comes out at around 13 months – I will however endeavour to be a ‘little quicker’ than that.

 

I am hoping that building all 3 at once has a ‘speeding’ effect.  Last year I tried building 2 BF109’s at the same time and learned a few lessons along the way.  The fun bits were ‘twice the fun’ – but the boring bits really ‘dragged’.  I also learned how to make the same mistake twice. :doh:

 

For anyone not familiar with the kit – here is what you get in the box…

 

CROM004.jpg

 

CROM005.jpg

 

…remember these are ‘starter kits’ – but I won’t be using the paint or glue – though an extra paintbrush always comes in handy.

 

CROM006.jpg

 

Considering the ‘starter’ designation I was perhaps imagining something less complex – like the Spitfire I did last year – that had just 36 parts….   

…and when you put everything on the bench it all looks a little ‘busy’.

 

CROM007.jpg

 

Following a tip off from my chief tormentor - I have been looking at the sprues for a few days and I have a couple of concerns that he highlighted for me.  Firstly there are the rear sprockets…

 

CROM008.jpg

 

...a few holes that need drilling out - but nothing too major - until you turn them over...

 

CROM009.jpg

 

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

 

Flash City!!! ...and sprue gates welded onto the parts. 

 

…these look like they will need quite a bit of work to get them looking presentable.  Then there is that front machine gun – which @Lawzer tipped me off about too.

 

CROM010.jpg

 

A quick look at it has confirmed that the slightest touch bends it wildly.  I may have a solution – up in the loft – but we will worry about that when the time comes.

Time to clear the decks and get building I think – or we could be here until Christmas. :santa:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

built one of these a while ago. It goes together quite quickly. Stalled though at the painting stage as I know very little about painting braille scale AFVs..looking forward to seeing you finish these..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

built one of these a while ago. It goes together quite quickly. Stalled though at the painting stage as I know very little about painting braille scale AFVs..looking forward to seeing you finish these..

The instructions seem clear and simple enough - I just need to figure a plan for painting and then assembling the sub assemblies - I'll figure it out :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cromwells :yes: :clap2:

 

Looking forward to seeing how you go with these.

 

I may have mentioned it's my favourite WW2 British tank (not for any particular reason to be honest), and second only to the Chieftain in being my all time favourite!

 

Always wanted a kit of it when I was a kid but no-one made one in plastic and I hadn't discovered resin / metal at that point. I had to wait until I got back into modelling after uni when Revell released their kit before I finally got my wish granted.

 

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, badger said:

I may have mentioned it's my favourite WW2 British tank

...no pressure there then...

I promise I'll do my best :D

In the run up to this build I took your advice and ordered 3 of these on Friday...

 

s-l300.jpg

 

...I hope my work is good enough to justify them by the time they arrive next week. :worry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally worth a few £ not to have to clean up the seam along the gun barrel (I always find I end up making it an oval shape!) as well as not having to drill out the muzzle brake.

 

I use them on all my builds if I can get them. RB are my preferred choice as they're a lot cheaper than Aber but as good quality.

 

Just ordered a catering sized popcorn and settling in to watch your progress :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badger said:

Totally worth a few £ not to have to clean up the seam along the gun barrel (I always find I end up making it an oval shape!) as well as not having to drill out the muzzle brake.

 

I use them on all my builds if I can get them. RB are my preferred choice as they're a lot cheaper than Aber but as good quality.

 

Just ordered a catering sized popcorn and settling in to watch your progress :popcorn:

OH NO - Not the £2 ASDA - 'stuff til yer chuck' popcorn bucket :lol:

 

The muzzle break isn't solid on this kit though - it comes in 2 halves - but I have already broken one just looking at it - good job I ordered these - thanks for the tip mate :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve. I made one of these three years ago - it was one of my early armour builds and I have to say it was a joy to build. As I brush paint I had to work our the stages for the sub-assemblies so my WIP thread might be useful. 

I also built the same kit in the Starter Set GB two years ago using only the glue, brush and paints provided in the set plus basic tools. Bit more of a challenge but still fun.

Second time around I removed the central seam down the middle of the tracks.

HTH.

Kind regards,

Stix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OH NO - Not the £2 ASDA - 'stuff til yer chuck' popcorn bucket :lol:

Sadly not - down around these parts its the £20 Waitrose "pure jersey butter with salted caramel, hand popped" variety!!

 

And don't get me started on why no chippy down south does gravy on chips!!!, or breaded fish, or proper mushy peas!!!

 

Ben (a proud northerner exiled to the south!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK – enough of the ‘blethering’ – time for some work…

Let me proudly present the first 9 parts…

 

CROM011.jpg

 

CROM012.jpg

 

…I like it when joins are easy to get to AND then totally invisible later in the build – it allows me to splash the glue on with great abandon.  All that lovely glue inside ‘adds to the weight and gives a sense of realism to the build’ he says confidently…

 

Next up another 6 pieces that form an outer layer for the suspension…

 

CROM013.jpg

 

CROM014.jpg

 

CROM015.jpg

 

Whilst these are drying I’ve identified another 6 pieces that can go on at this stage.  The instructions would have me putting on the inside of the wheels at this point – but who reads instructions :mental:

 

Back shortly - I'm just doing that blowing on the glue bit - you know - to make it dry faster  :mental:me... :mental:no...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Steve. I made one of these three years ago - it was one of my early armour builds and I have to say it was a joy to build. As I brush paint I had to work our the stages for the sub-assemblies so my WIP thread might be useful. 

I also built the same kit in the Starter Set GB two years ago using only the glue, brush and paints provided in the set plus basic tools. Bit more of a challenge but still fun.

Second time around I removed the central seam down the middle of the tracks.

HTH.

Kind regards,

Stix

I'll take a look at the WIP now - I always need all the help I can get thanks Stix :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, badger said:

Sadly not - down around these parts its the £20 Waitrose "pure jersey butter with salted caramel, hand popped" variety!!

 

And don't get me started on why no chippy down south does gravy on chips!!!, or breaded fish, or proper mushy peas!!!

 

Ben (a proud northerner exiled to the south!)

Waitrose eh - I saw one of those once...

...when I visited the big shiny city down the very long road :lol:

 

So - go on then - whereabouts 'up north' were you dragged up ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm originally from Stoke on Trent, spent 8 years in Derby then moved down to Surrey about 6 years ago when my wife got head hunted for a job she couldn't turn down.

 

Other than the property prices and lack of gravy on chips (oh and Staffordshire oatcakes), it's not too bad to be honest. 

 

Oh and I'm less than 2 hours from Bovington tank museum !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BIG X said:

but who reads instructions :mental:

Not me! The kit I'm currently building doesn't actually have any (a rather squashed box dragon 1/72 T-34 missing instructions I picked up from ebay for £5

 

25 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Back shortly - I'm just doing that blowing on the glue bit - you know - to make it dry faster  :mental:me... :mental:no...

That's why tamiya extra thin quick dry is awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the blowing worked – time for 6 more pieces – 3 for the front and 3 for the back…

 

CROM016.jpg

 

CROM017.jpg

 

CROM018.jpg

 

…these 3 also go on the back – now what did I do with that 3rd one…

 

CROM019.jpg

 

CROM020.jpg

 

…and the 3 radiator grille thingies can go on too…

 

CROM021.jpg

 

CROM022.jpg

 

WOW - that’s 27 pieces in one evening – that’s 2/3rds of a Spitfire – all since teatime - more blowing required and I think I've had enough for 1 night - 10% done though...

 

You have to remember - when the fun stops - STOP :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow - that's some speedy progress!

 

As a comparison I've stuck together 18 pieces on my T-34. Then again I did have to spend 15 mins finding a sprue I'd dropped out of the kit getting it off the shelf! (The box is very bashed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye up Steve,

 

Your 'cruising' along with these. Have em done in no time :D

 

Regards 

 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badger said:

Sadly not - down around these parts its the £20 Waitrose "pure jersey butter with salted caramel, hand popped" variety!!

 

And don't get me started on why no chippy down south does gravy on chips!!!, or breaded fish, or proper mushy peas!!!

 

Ben (a proud northerner exiled to the south!)

In Essex area fish an' chips cost £7.00,up here in North Warks, Pete's chippy £1.99 lol😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Waitrose eh - I saw one of those once...

...when I visited the big shiny city down the very long road :lol:

Not my first choice tbh but it's over the road so ok for emergencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Arachnid said:

In Essex area fish an' chips cost £7.00,up here in North Warks, Pete's chippy £1.99 lol😁

Too true - last time I bothered it was £12 for two battered fish and one large chips! 

 

Remember when I first moved down here and asked for the usual breaded fish, chips and gravy and the bloke behind the counter looked at me as though I'd just spat on the floor!! Didn't even do mushy peas or curry sauce!

 

Didn't go back to that one!

 

Ben (who now has a craving for a bag of chips) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, badger said:

Too true - last time I bothered it was £12 for two battered fish and one large chips! 

 

Remember when I first moved down here and asked for the usual breaded fish, chips and gravy and the bloke behind the counter looked at me as though I'd just spat on the floor!! Didn't even do mushy peas or curry sauce!

 

Didn't go back to that one!

 

Ben (who now has a craving for a bag of chips) 

Best I can offer is a pie :pie: - pie. chips, peas and gravy - it a tray of course - with a fork ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×