ANOTHER WNW - O.O.P.

redcap

18 minutes ago, redcap said:

When I looked last night there were 3 different WNW kits of the 'Jasta 5' available here in the UK on eBay and then this morning, they are now all gone......Quelle Surprise!

Gary

Watch the price go daft, sad but true. 

Duncan B

Ach well them's the breaks I guess Duncan :cry: I still have copies of the first three Albatros kits in the stash as well though so all is not lost :idea: I am guessing there will be at least one more iteration of the Albatros kit in the future as well given that there are so many flashy schemes for the bird. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Watch the price go daft, sad but true. 

Duncan B

Indeed Duncan and in fact, I was one of those who grabbed a last one over the weekend (and paid for it) only to get an email this morning from eBay saying the seller 'Model Hobbies' - clearly predicitng as you do - have cancelled my order and refunded my payment this morning citing "The item is out of stock"......of course it was.......of course it was!

Some people will sell their honour and integrity these days VERY cheaply!

Gary

Model hobbies did this with me, although not kits, some resin. Refunded one part as out of stock and then never got the other part.

Sent emails asking when the other part would arrive, nothing back, claimed from paypal in the end

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beardie said:

Ach well them's the breaks I guess Duncan :cry: I still have copies of the first three Albatros kits in the stash as well though so all is not lost :idea: I am guessing there will be at least one more iteration of the Albatros kit in the future as well given that there are so many flashy schemes for the bird. 

Is it possible for UK folks to order the kit from WETA's warehouse in Europe?

10 hours ago, redcap said:

Indeed Duncan and in fact, I was one of those who grabbed a last one over the weekend (and paid for it) only to get an email this morning from eBay saying the seller 'Model Hobbies' - clearly predicitng as you do - have cancelled my order and refunded my payment this morning citing "The item is out of stock"......of course it was.......of course it was!

Some people will sell their honour and integrity these days VERY cheaply!

Gary

9 hours ago, colin said:

Model hobbies did this with me, although not kits, some resin. Refunded one part as out of stock and then never got the other part.

Sent emails asking when the other part would arrive, nothing back, claimed from paypal in the end

If I remember correctly there was a thread on BM recently about a Company regularly doing exactly what you guys have described. Might be worth checking it out to get the details as it sounded very poor from what I remember.

Link to that particular thread: 

Duncan B

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dobk said:

Is it possible for UK folks to order the kit from WETA's warehouse in Europe?

if it's in their Europe warehouse, should be. Weta ship from the warehouse closest to you, unless it's out of stock there. i live in Thailand so i'm careful to check that they're shipping from NZ. 

6 hours ago, Duncan B said:

If I remember correctly there was a thread on BM recently about a Company regularly doing exactly what you guys have described. Might be worth checking it out to get the details as it sounded very poor from what I remember.

Link to that particular thread: 

Duncan B

I had an eventual reply from Model Hobbies last night from someone calling himself 'Nick' (oooh the irony) who says he  "thought" he had one in stock but he can't find it now (as you do with large box £160+ kits) and so he can't sell it to me.

Draw your own inferences.

Gary

• Haha 2

On 2/11/2018 at 3:22 PM, dobk said:

I have one on the way as well.  It is a steady supply as they have popped in and out of stock since WNW listed the Hannover Sold Out.  They have it now listed as Out Of Stock, not Backordered like the Gotha, Pup, Pfalz DIIIa, etc.  Strangely it is discounted 10%.

Got my Hannover in from HLJ this week, great service from them as usual.  I saw it was back in stock a few days ago but checking today they were gone.  Worst news is it is now listed as Backordered (not Out Of Stock as before) like all the other unattainable WNW.  So our days of picking the Hannover up semi-reasonable from HLJ may be over.

maybe not... i talked to HLJ when i ordered mine. "out of stock" is more doom-and-gloom than "backordered." after i ordered mine, it went to "backordered." then after i actually got mine, "out of stock." and a few days later, "in stock." so no idea how they're sourcing them but it's not necessarily hopeless. 

anyone who feels like gambling might put an order in anyway, they fulfil orders according to a queue. so if there are outstanding orders, they might get stock in and you'd never know if if yours isn't one of them. 

that said, i'm not going to gamble on the Gotha coming back in stock... because if it does, it will inevitably happen when i least expect it and zero out my bank account at the worst possible time. or worse, it won't happen at all. 

by the way, a few sold out kits here, including the Jasta 5 Trilogy: https://modelair.co.nz/collections/limited-stock

i think the prices are in NZD, but some of the kits are still priced higher than they go for on ebay. also bear in mind that all the Fokker D.VII variants can be built from the Early Fokker D.VII still widely available, so buying the old kit may not be the way forward. 

Mister Kit, in Italy, still have the LVG C.VI and the Hannover CL.II, but the prices are about what they're going for on ebay, so you might as well get a Camel with your LVG instead. 

http://misterkit.com/en/474_wingnut-wings/s-3/manufacturer_2-wingnut_wings/in_stock-yes_2?orderby=price&orderway=desc

if you're gonna gamble on ebay, see what the kit you want has been selling for, decide on *your* maximum price. mine is usually a bit higher than the cheapest in the sold listings, unless it's something i want bad. i paid a mint for the Cross and Cockade FE2b/d book, but neither Amazon nor Abebooks had it, and it's the first time it's turned up on ebay (and i've been watching for months). 

if your heart's set on a sold out kit, you WILL pay over the odds, but you may find one close enough to reasonable to be worth it (only you know what "worth it" means to you... and if you're married the odds your wife will agree are vanishingly small). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

by the way, a few sold out kits here, including the Jasta 5 Trilogy: https://modelair.co.nz/collections/limited-stock

Modelair is in Newmarket, Auckland (they used to be my local hobby shop many, many moons ago) and they were/are fantastic to deal with. I'd have no qualms ordering from them online if they had something I was after.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 5:53 AM, Jeff.K said:

maybe not... i talked to HLJ when i ordered mine. "out of stock" is more doom-and-gloom than "backordered." after i ordered mine, it went to "backordered." then after i actually got mine, "out of stock." and a few days later, "in stock." so no idea how they're sourcing them but it's not necessarily hopeless. 

That's interesting.  Looking at HLJ's list of WNW every kit listed as "Out Of Stock" is still available from Wingnuts themselves and all the kits listed as "Backordered" are Sold Out with Wingnuts.

Edited: From my point of view at HLJ "Out Of Stock" means we have some coming while "Backordered" means we don't have any in the pipeline.

Edited by dobk
Clarification
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, dobk said:

Edited: From my point of view at HLJ "Out Of Stock" means we have some coming while "Backordered" means we don't have any in the pipeline.

well, whatever they really can get, that's the opposite of what they themselves said. 

that said, based on watching their inventory fluctuate for a few months, the only thing that's come back into stock is the CL.II. that was listed as "backordered" before i saw "in stock" and ordered. after i ordered mine, it was listed as "out of stock", then "back ordered," then "in stock" for about 5 minutes. 

regardless of their policy, i think for the most part neither "backordered" nor "out of stock" implies they're getting any more, for short run kits. at least neither inspires enough confidence in me that i'd order. 

You do have more insight about it than I.  I do hope they get some more Hannovers for folks that want them.  I have 4 now so I'm good.

As an aside I found a US retailer that was out of Pfalz DIIIa and the Jasta 5 trio but still had the Pup listed.  I put in an order but not holding my breath.

If I was inclined to fantasise about this, I would happily drool over the thought of a "Black Flight" boxing to clear any Pup and Triplane sprues WNW might have hanging around.

(I know, I know, back to the medications again . . .)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

If I was inclined to fantasise about this, I would happily drool over the thought of a "Black Flight" boxing to clear any Pup and Triplane sprues WNW might have hanging around.

(I know, I know, back to the medications again . . .)

You never know. WnW obviously still have all the moulds for all their kits as they have shown when they did a rerun of the LVG for the Camel Duellist edition rather than use any old sprues left over. I know this because I had to contact WnW about a damaged LVG and they told me they were waiting on new sprues coming in from their manufacturer at that point in time.

Duncan B

All WNW have said on the topic of kit issues is that they won't issue kits for a second run using the same box art and decals, anything else is, I suspect, 'open season'. Given the cost of the molds and project development etc, it would be financial madness to only do one production run as these certainly are not 'limited run' injection kits.

The Sopwith Triplane must surely be a re-pop at some stage in the future and as 'Black Flight' then why not!

Changing topic somewhat but on the theme of unexpected releases, personally, I think a new tool WNW Dr1 'duellists' set whilst also using the BR1 Camel kit already available with MVR and Brown's markings for an April 2018 release to coincide with the 100 years anniversary of the former's death in action would be a no brainer sales wise.

Gary

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

FOUR!!! wow. one's enough for me, although if i had another i might convert it to a CL.III or IIIa. 

What can I say...it's one of my favorite WWI aircraft.  I'm hoping they offer us those versions.  Also a W.12 Late while their at it.  And W.29 in post war (Finland, Norway, Denmark, Japan, The Netherlands) markings.