Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

Yet another Group Build on the horizon, I'm getting a bit addicted to these things! 

I would suggest a fairly loose interpretation of what constitutes a Frog model. The already mentioned Frog/Hasegawa crossovers have the Air Lines US issues to add to the mix and that's before all the eastern Frogspawn get debated.

Frog proper ended in 1976. As a guide, I would say anything in the catalogue that year or prior to it would be eligible for the GB. The later eastern issues would be OK as they are still essentially Frog in origin. There are AMT cars that were boxed by Frog, again they appeared in the catalogues, so I think they should be in.

The Lines and Hellstrom Frog book has pretty accurate lists of all the various permutations of the issues and is highly recommended for anyone interested in Frog. Likewise Peter Van Lunes Frog Penguin book, although that one covers the very early days, 1936-1950.

Tony.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Likewise Peter Van Lunes Frog Penguin book, although that one covers the very early days, 1936-1950.

It would be really good to have one of those very early kits in the GB.

• Like 2

Just now, Enzo Matrix said:

I have a couple of restorations I've been saving for just this opportunity 😁

The rather steep prices the Penguins fetch in mint unbuilt condition will probably limit any builds to restorations of old built models. They are a ton of work to do, but very rewarding. First job is usually to reduce then to component parts, so the 25% rule will not need applying here hopefully.

I can't wait to get stuck in here!

Tony.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think this is the earliest one that I have 

IMG_4053

1959 by the way !

In that very popular 1/119 scale :blink:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Would THIS be OK? It was originally a Bandai item. If not then I need to buy a kit :D

Sorry SS, I'm afraid that one isn't kosher, so it's looks like you are going to be forced to add to the stash.

Let me know what you are looking for as I may be able to help, and I can start to reduce the unbuildable number of kits I have managed to accumulate 

cheers Pat

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorry SS, I'm afraid that one isn't kosher, so it's looks like you are going to be forced to add to the stash.

Let me know what you are looking for as I may be able to help, and I can start to reduce the unbuildable number of kits I have managed to accumulate 

cheers Pat

Having returned from my stash mining exercise with one of them I apologise for the red herring. Scalemates was doing a chocolate teapot on me earlier. Tell you what do a survey of your releaseable Frog kits and let me know what you like the least and how much and I can swop money with you while it's still worth something. Novo would be fine as I have many, many friends with decal sheets I can beg from.

As a vacform fan I'm surprised you haven't suggested a Broplan nostalga build :D 

Just noticed that Frog seem to be back in the Far East with an F-16.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Having returned from my stash mining exercise with one of them I apologise for the red herring. Scalemates was doing a chocolate teapot on me earlier. Tell you what do a survey of your releaseable Frog kits and let me know what you like the least and how much and I can swop money with you while it's still worth something. Novo would be fine as I have many, many friends with decal sheets I can beg from.

As a vacform fan I'm surprised you haven't suggested a Broplan nostalga build :D 

Just noticed that Frog seem to be back in the Far East with an F-16.

I will have a look and PM you.

Although I have a couple of Broplan kits I'm yet to build one, they are also blooming expensive. As for vacform, yes guilty as charged, must get back to my stalled Contrail Blackburn Perth 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, English Electric said:

Well..  I was thinking the Frog mould Wellington I in 1/72 if that sounds OK...?? Otherwise I might just take a lucky dip... :)

A Frog designed (not issued) Welly would be great to see. Great to have you along EE

1 hour ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

Have no frog kits at the moment, but what the hell, I’m in.

That's the spirit Mr. Oliver. I'm sure there's at least one subject or three that will get you excited. Welcome aborad as well.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

Count me in, would a Russian rebox of the Frog Wellington count or maybe a Vimy,

Neil

Neil, the Frog Wellington was indeed designed by those lads at Rovex, so I see no reason not to include this. The Vimy would be most welcomed and highly encouraged. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I haven't ventured into the loft yet, but I've come across a Frog boxed A6A intruder which was a Frog release in 1970 but a Hasegawa original mould, would this count or does it need to be an original Frog mould?  🤔

Must venture into the loft at some point though

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/207773-frog-f272-grumman-a6a-intruder

Ian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I haven't ventured into the loft yet, but I've come across a Frog boxed A6A intruder which was a Frog release in 1970 but a Hasegawa original mould, would this count or does it need to be an original Frog mould?  🤔

Must venture into the loft at some point though

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/207773-frog-f272-grumman-a6a-intruder

Ian

Yep Ian.... your Frog boxed A6A Intruder is good to go. 

Pat and I have been chatting about this and in order to avoid complications, anything that was ever boxed with a Frog 'F" number (F272 for this Intruder example) shall be accepted. Classic GB's should encompass as many builds as possible, so we encourage every type of Frog produced / boxed kit to be part of this GB. The current Airfix GB is approaching 150 builds, so I'd be more than happy if we even got half that number here.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yep Ian.... your Frog boxed A6A Intruder is good to go. 

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Classic GB's should encompass as many builds as possible, so we encourage every type of Frog produced / boxed kit to be part of this GB. The current Airfix GB is approaching 150 builds, so I'd be more than happy if we even got half that number here.

Great stuff, thanks for clarifying that one Dave :)

I know I've got at least 2 or 3 more Frog/Novo kits in the loft, just can't remember what 🤔

As they will be built OOB I might even get more than one done, as they were never usually taxing builds with loads of parts from what I remember

I know I probably need decals for the Intruder as they are a lovely shade of yellowy brown on the supposed clear carrier, but that's what you get for nearly 50 years old I suppose

Thanks

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Nice one JB, it’ll be good to see some of the other non-aircraft Frog kits being built and I had no idea that this was ever re-released. I might do some research to see what else may be available. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1