Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Canberra which will be mainly Frog

I have the old-old-Frog, the Frog and the original Airfix B2(?) with the horrible nose, so I will be interested to see what you do there!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I have the old-old-Frog, the Frog and the original Airfix B2(?) with the horrible nose, so I will be interested to see what you do there!

Regards,

Adrian

Actually, mine will still be a ‘fighter canopy’ Canberra, however will be using bits of bomb bay internals, bomb doors and possibly u/c bits from the Airfix kit to improve things. I’ve got the Aeroclub nose conversion to help correct that awfully bulged Airfix kit, but that’s one for another time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Actually, mine will still be a ‘fighter canopy’ Canberra, however will be using bits of bomb bay internals, bomb doors and possibly u/c bits from the Airfix kit to improve things. I’ve got the Aeroclub nose conversion to help correct that awfully bulged Airfix kit, but that’s one for another time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave, how is your reference material? There were a few good articles in the June2019 issue of 'FlyPast' mag - 'Canberra 75th Anniversary'

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Dave, how is your reference material? There were a few good articles in the June2019 issue of 'FlyPast' mag - 'Canberra 75th Anniversary'

I think I’m good for Canberra references Mike. Got a number of books and magazine articles and there’s always the ever helpful John (aka @canberra kid) who’s always quick to reply to any Canberra question - although I’ll try not to bother him this time around.  

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Just now, adey m said:

Looks like there is going to be some good old fashioned modelling taking place.

Glad to see you’ve found us adey. You got any plans to join us? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Pete(PeterB) kindly sent me a set of original decal's for my Maryland so that confirm's it as at least one build in SAAF colour's,I might have another go

at the Beaufighter which I loved doing a couple of year's ago for the BM 10th anniversary  GB the other kit I'd like to do is the Sea Fury we'll see.

The Beau would have to be in full D-Day stripe's this time.

DSC00167

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I might have another go

at the Beaufighter which I loved doing a couple of year's ago for the BM 10th anniversary  GB the other kit I'd like to do is the Sea Fury we'll see.

The Beau would have to be in full D-Day stripe's this time.

That’s scrubbed up well Steve!! T’would be nice to see a vast array of Frog kits like we saw in both the Classic Matchbox and Airfix GB’s. I’m not sure how many individual moulds Frog ended up tooling, however someone who’s got plenty of time on their hands might want to jump on Scalemates and count them all for us!! That a boy @JOCKNEY, we all await your reply. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, adey m said:

Looks like there is going to be some good old fashioned modelling taking place.

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Glad to see you’ve found us adey. You got any plans to join us? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Full circle then because here's where it all started ........ @adey m is responsible! Well done, Adey (you got me started, anyway)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Would have thought a rasp or sweetheart file would be more appropriate to tackle those Battleship rivets!!

Cheers.. Dave 

Rivets galore

Not as bad as they might be - by the time Novo produced this one the moulds were probably a bit worn, Anyway the real thing had very noticeable rivets - one of the nicknames was "10000 rivets flying in formation" I gather. I think a restrained approach is needed here - just enough to allow the decs to settle easily.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s scrubbed up well Steve!! T’would be nice to see a vast array of Frog kits like we saw in both the Classic Matchbox and Airfix GB’s. I’m not sure how many individual moulds Frog ended up tooling, however someone who’s got plenty of time on their hands might want to jump on Scalemates and count them all for us!! That a boy @JOCKNEY, we all await your reply. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers Dave ! :doh:

I always thought the "F" in the serial number stood for Frog !

I'll count them, you can list and categorise them :wicked:

cheers Pat

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I think I’m good for Canberra references Mike. Got a number of books and magazine articles and there’s always the ever helpful John (aka @canberra kid) who’s always quick to reply to any Canberra question - although I’ll try not to bother him this time around.  

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave

Feel free to bother away, I have some bits of referans too :) 

John

• Like 4

Hi John,

English Electric Bradford (Aircraft Division)

As a fellow Bradfordian now in exile, would that be Phoenix Dynamo Works?

Ok I know Phoenix were taken over by EE in 1918 so only joking. The planes they made during WWI, either as sub contractor or in their own right are often overlooked.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Nearly start time :) just the Lightning to finish in the trainers GB

Looking forward to this one, haven't built in 72nd for a long time as 48th seems kinder on the old eyes 😉 

Going to make a start with a Grumman A6A intruder, then if time permits there's a Frog boxed Meteor IV and Novo boxed Hunter and Lightning  in the stash, but no promises

Ian

• Like 5

Nice choices @Redstaff, I particularly like the Meteor and have often thought that in similar vein to two recent Shackletons coming out in the same year, the modelling public must have been thrilled in 1970 when both Frog (IV) and Airfix (III) released Meteor kits in the same year. This also happened around 1973 when both companies added Canberras to their inventories.

Cheers and looking forward to documenting your GB contributions.. Dave 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi Dave

John

Right then, John and Dave, a question that has always puzzled me is why did the Canberra change from that normal type full width cockpit glazing to the slimmer 'fighter cockpit' offset to one side? A distinctive look but the original glazing looked better to my eyes???

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

the modelling public must have been thrilled in 1970 when both Frog (IV) and Airfix (III) released Meteor kits in the same year

I've got the Airfix III sat next to it in the stash as well :) 

Love the Meteor, it must have looked so futuristic in it's day after all the Spitfires and Hurricanes etc.

Ian

• Like 2

13 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi Dave

John

Hi John

Nice of you to pop in, now what Frog kit can we put you down for ? :D

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Right then, John and Dave, a question that has always puzzled me is why did the Canberra change from that normal type full width cockpit glazing to the slimmer 'fighter cockpit' offset to one side? A distinctive look but the original glazing looked better to my eyes???

@Ventora3300 it was all down to the fact the B(I)8 need an optically flat glass for the gun sight to sit behind. English Electric were already considering a tandom crew arrangement for the Interdictor version but the Air minister wanted a minimal change minimal cost version. So Martin got the tandom seat B.57B we got the lash up B(I)8. The reason the canopy is off set to the port side was because the control runs were already down that side, minimal change! There is more to it than just that but that's the basic reasoning behind the change. 

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

@Ventora3300 it was all down to the fact the B(I)8 need an optically flat glass for the gun sight to sit behind. English Electric were already considering a tandom crew arrangement for the Interdictor version but the Air minister wanted a minimal change minimal cost version. So Martin got the tandom seat B.57B we got the lash up B(I)8. The reason the canopy is off set to the port side was because the control runs were already down that side, minimal change! There is more to it than just that but that's the basic reasoning behind the change. 

John

Many thanks for that, John, that's really interesting. I'm looking forward to Dave's build as I'm sure all this fascinating detail will come out during it.

• Like 1

When will this move to current builds? I feel a Battle of Britain moment coming on

Squadron Leader Canfield:
The engine's overheating and so am I. Either we stand down or blow up.

I'm certainly far too excited for my own good about this build

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hi Pat and Dave,

I have never been in a GB before, and although I first used a computer in 1968 (probably still powered by valves as it was a second hand ex-industry machine which used punched paper tape for input) I am barely computer literate. I will need somebody to explain to me how to post the build as it progresses, and how to post to the Gallery when finished  - I still have not found the Gallery for the ruddy Airfix build last year!

I presume you will be putting up instructions etc before long so please keep them simple. Dave - I will start with F178, the Me 410, and also F172, the Shackleton. If I have time, then perhaps also F202 Bf 110G and maybe even  F239 Hornet or perhaps F407 Bearcat, depending on how things go but I will let you know. In reality I may be lucky to get the first 2 finished as I am supposed to be doing a Bv 138 Flying Clog in another GB, but being retired I suspect I have more time than most and have found setting myself a hard target keeps me on schedule (sometimes). The filler and sandpaper have arrived so all I need now is a supply of what I believe Shakespeare called the "Scottish Wine" ( whisky to the uninitiated ) to calm my nerves so expect some wobbly painting! My wife keeps hinting she wants to decorate my workroom, but I have told her she will either have to wait until December or else paint round me.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 2