Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I gather they actually pre-date Airfix with the old Penguin range and that the strange name dates back pre-war to their acetate rubber band powered flying models which "Flew Right Off the Ground" - FROG.

Correct on origin of FROG name,   the Penguin range were so-called as they didn't fly BTW....

I have a Frog Vengeance,  something I failed building as  a child...  so,  put me down.  (or maybe a DH Hornet...I've had one of those stashed since, erm, 1981 or so) 

• Like 3

Hi Troy,

Oddly enough I am putting the finishing touches to my Revell ex Frog Vengance at the moment. It's not a bad kit, the only things I have added are an instrument panel, new resin gun barrels for the rear cockpit as the Frog ones are as ever rather overscale but not too bad on this kit, and the missing exhausts from plastic tube. I am painting it in my version of the Dupont "export RAF" colours, namely Humbrol 116 and 118 uppers and a mix of 65 and 89 for US "Azure Blue" unders. Alternatively it could have US Sky unders I believe. It has a poor reputation in most references but I gather it was actually quite an effective dive bomber against the Japanese and one of my sources quotes a USN pilot as saying it was better than the Dauntless! I already have a Hornet in my collection but will eventually build another from my stash though I will defer to you for the GB as I have plenty of other choices. I am not sure which of the Camo/Silver/Medium Sea Grey schemes I will paint it in just yet.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Hi Pat,

Yes the Novo decs were rubbish whilst the Frog ones seem to still work in most cases - bit like the old Airfix ones which were not much thinner than Lino but virtually indestructible, unlike the modern thin "painted on" ones. OK, some RAF roundels were way out of register, and the selection I have only covers about 1/3 of the kits they released but if you want a Boston, Mirage, Barracuda, Sea Vixen, Wyvern, Sea Venom etc I may well have it and will be happy to post it on. Some I am not exactly sure what they are but I have found a French website which has pics of most of the Frog kits and which I think you mentioned earlier, so should be able to work it out if there is a problem.

I believe you are also running the float/seaplane GB so I may join that as well if I may - Shark, Swordfish floatplanes , BV138 and PBY5A in my stash. I would love a Bv222 but frankly have no room to store it.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Chris

Apologies it wasn't meant to be a nudge, I was just looking through the thread and realised I had missed people off the list !

So decided to sort it out in a different way.

Great to here the house refurb end is in site, it can all be really unsettling during the works.

Miles Master sounds well under the 25% rule so should make a great addition.

cheers Pat

Hi Pat

No worries. Thank you. Re the house, it's the bloomin dust!!! Despite my best efforts it still gets on my models. 

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

I've been searching through the nightmare that is my storage system for likely candidates for the GB, and there's a fair selection of builders turning up! All bought for next to nothing as and when they turned up, now they are going to get a chance to shine!

IMG-7154.jpg

IMG-7155.jpg

IMG-7156.jpg

Pat also kindly sent me a Blackburn Shark that will get built alongside a couple of Penguin restorations of the same plane. I also think I have a couple of started Trailblazers that might fit the bill.

Spoilt for choice or what?  I doubt they will all get done, although I cracked out a fair few for the Airfix Group Build last year, I'll try to improve on that score if I can. My 'straight out the box' building preference will help here.

I can't wait to get cracking!

Tony.

• Like 4

On 12/04/2019 at 21:01, jean said:

Frog even tells you that the roundels are going to be off center! What's that, if not honest?

Usual fare for Frog Jean,mind Heller are just as bad at times I've just bought a couple of vampire's same issue,I have a Maryland in a later Polish

issue and it's decal's are no use for the same reason which was going to be my Frog build.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

My memory is not what it was but I think I built my first kit in 1957 (Airfix Hurricane or perhaps Lysander) and Frog kits began to appear in my collection a few years later. 

Pete, sounds like you are another one of us 'nostalgic' modellers.... Can you remember what the attraction of Frog kits was back then? I was a confirmed Airfix man (boy) but I did build two Frog kits when a nipper and thought them a bit more 'exotic' with lovely smooth mouldings etc. , Latterly, I came to appreciate the diverse and unusual range they covered and now find myself with just under 100 Frog kits tucked away with only three built more recently and one (re-packaged as Revell) underway as we speak. What is the attraction for you? All the best for your builds. Mike.

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

I can't wait to get cracking!

Sounds like a multiple treat is in store (again)! Have you got a 'display' corner ready for these builds, Tony? All the best for your builds. Mike.

40 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Pete, sounds like you are another one of us 'nostalgic' modellers.... Can you remember what the attraction of Frog kits was back then? I was a confirmed Airfix man (boy) but I did build two Frog kits when a nipper and thought them a bit more 'exotic' with lovely smooth mouldings etc. , Latterly, I came to appreciate the diverse and unusual range they covered and now find myself with just under 100 Frog kits tucked away with only three built more recently and one (re-packaged as Revell) underway as we speak. What is the attraction for you? All the best for your builds. Mike.

Hi Mike - a variety of reason I suppose. Like most kids growing up in the 1950's my knowledge of planes was initially limited to an Ian Allan book of British a/c though I later got a booklet free with one of the comics which was very useful as it showed Japanese, US and Italian and perhaps Russian and French. The only place I could get kits was when my mother took me into Woolworths in Bradford so I inevitably started with Airfix. As time went by I realized that there were a lot of gaps to fill and by the early 60's I was getting about on my own and found a model shop selling Frog as well as Airfix - I also started buying the small Macdonald "Warplanes" series of books by William Green (pity they stopped at Vol 10) which was an eye opener! Younger people growing up with the internet available probably don't realize just how little info was available to modellers in the early days.

Frog filled a lot of gaps and as a bonus usually had decals and extra bits for at least 2 versions unlike Airfix. Ok some of the kits were none too accurate and all were rather basic, but then Airfix were not much better at first, and it was only after Frog started reboxing Hasegawa that the Japanese kits started to arrive in any numbers as I recall. Some of the planes moulded by Frog have only just started to appear on the market again as replacements - Whitley, Wyvern, Gannet etc, whilst others are still unique. So yes perhaps a little nostalgia, but also a case of a choice between a much more expensive "modern" kit, or perhaps no other kit available of that particular plane. Cheers. Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Usual fare for Frog Jean,mind Heller are just as bad at times I've just bought a couple of vampire's same issue,I have a Maryland in a later Polish

issue and it's decal's are no use for the same reason which was going to be my Frog build.

Hi Steve, As I recall the Frog kit had both SAAF and Free French markings. I used one of my spare sets of SAAF when I built my Maryland a while back but may still have some in the batch of mixed Frog decals I bought 20 or more years ago - would you want them, and if so, which version? Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi Steve,

i will agree wholeheartedly with you when talking about Heller's decals: Roundels have been totally out of center ever since I was a kid, and their decision to design and print decals in house has definitely been the cause for this disaster.

Frog, and there I must disagree with you, has always had outstanding decals in their more recent kits. So much so that I have cannibalized many an RAF roundel from a Frog kit to stick on an Airfix kit...

First time I have the pleasure to look at a real Frog oldie, and believe me, although there are a lot of approximations in the shapes and scant detailing, it is light years ahead of the Airfix Seahawk I started in the Airfix classic GB!

But at the end of the day, all these kits are fun.

JR

• Like 2

Chaps, as with the other two Classic GB's I was involved in, I'll be running a GB Build list which will allow everyone to click on a link and take you straight to each modellers WIP. I'm still not sure what order I should list these builds - 

1. Alphabetical

2. Original Frog 'F' number

3. Original year of release as published in the Lines / Hellstrom Frog bible? 

Happy to take suggestions, I don't believe any one would be more difficult than the other. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Chaps, as with the other two Classic GB's I was involved in, I'll be running a GB Build list which will allow everyone to click on a link and take you straight to each modellers WIP. I'm still not sure what order I should list these builds - 

1. Alphabetical

2. Original Frog 'F' number

3. Original year of release as published in the Lines / Hellstrom Frog bible? 

Happy to take suggestions, I don't believe any one would be more difficult than the other. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Well done, Dave. You are going to be busy again.

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Original “F” number, sounds good to me. 

Agree with that - F number will also put it in rough date order? Then someone will try to make sure all numbers in the catalogue are covered by a build...!

On 3/22/2019 at 7:21 PM, Doccur said:

@JOCKNEY I have at long last managed to acquire some of my dad’s frogspawn! I shall be cutting my teeth on the Emhar Anatra Ansala. 

I am reliably informed this was the last Frog kit that was actually made, with 500 being hidden away when Frog was liquidated (one of which my dad has... but wouldn’t let me have 😂). 

Also he gave me a bag of parts that apparently transforms itself into a Lockheed Ventura... again frogspawn. 

I have ordered some aftermarket decals for this and intend to make a camouflaged Australian variant out of it!

Looking forward to the GB 

Was the Emhar Anatra Anasal originally by Red Star? If so, it would be one of four Red Star kits (the others being the MiG-3, Yak-3 and LaGG-3), reputedly developed by FROG engineers.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 10:53 PM, PeterB said:

Incidentally, I still have most of 2 packs of genuine Frog decals I bought from a well known mail order outlet in Lowestoft last century and many of them are actually in register and viable (though a few may need a spell in the window to remove the yellowing , and then a coat of MS Decal Fix as a precaution to stop them falling apart), so if anybody needs some let me know. I tend to use ones from my spares box and generic aftermarket stock built up over many years, or else print them myself when practical (mostly serials, codes and badges).

I have one of those packs myself and  I suspect that I have lost the other one over the years..  One of the sheets therein is that for the Meteor 4.  I recently applied the Dutch markings from it to the Revell (Special Hobby) Meteor 4 and they went on beautifully with no extra solutions applied.  The same went for the decals on my DH Hornet.  Those old FROG and Matchbox decals still perform well despite being over 40 years old, whereas I've had more recent decals from Tamiya kits break up on application.

2 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Was the Emhar Anatra Anasal originally by Red Star? If so, it would be one of four Red Star kits (the others being the MiG-3, Yak-3 and LaGG-3), reputedly developed by FROG engineers.

I believe so yes, they all came as one set when initially released?

Hi

Just a test to see if Photobucket works as I gather other users are having problems. Well it did but now I have lost it.

Edited by PeterB
  • Sad 1