Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

5 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Don't look now, but we are on our 4th page of builds for this GB :surprised:

Congratulations everyone :party:

Which doesn’t make it any easier to play GB Host(s) hey Pat. This GB is excitingly so absurd. 

Cheers and keep ‘em coming ladies and gents.. Dave 

• Like 3

Can I also just add that if your GB hosts have missed a post or update, please cut us a little slack - the uptake has been extremely overwhelming and one mustn’t forget that we have work, families and our own GB modelling commitments to consider (not necessarily in that order!).

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

yeap....I usually only manage to keep up for the first couple of weeks then it's all over! Most members don't realize that as host you can literally spend hours each day going through all the updates of a big GB (I've been there!!), and good luck trying to comment on them.

looks like this will be the BIG GB of the year....will try to be good to the Hosts.......hmmm maybe not Pat! :D

• Haha 6

On 05/06/2019 at 00:31, trickyrich said:

hmmm maybe not Pat! :D

Sometimes it's only the sincerity and generosity of support on here that's keeps me going !

• Haha 5

On 04/06/2019 at 15:27, PeterB said:

Just posted this on the general forum - anybody here have any info on the pilot's seat in the Shackleton MR3 - shape, colour, location etc?

Cheers

Pete

2305fd47-b5cb-40e0-9148-60c2a1f2f459.jpg

Here is a pilot's seat in a Shackleton AEW 2, I believe the seats in the MR3 were the same. Note the flip-down armrest.

Hope this helps Pete.

adey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Hosts,

I realised that I have a slightly started FROG Wyvern in the stash. I tarted up the cockpit (three original pieces), glued the wings together (three more pieces), cut out the exhausts (two holes) and found a replacement drinking straw (one new piece).

Can I claim less than 25% done and shift it off the Shelf of Shame after three years of dust gathering?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

@AdrianMF

Your Wyvern will be allowed entry should you pass the three tick test. 

1. Do we have a Wyvern in the mix -  no (Tick). 

2. Do we all like AdrianMF’s modelling- yes (Tick)

3. Are your GB hosts good blokes - too right they are (Tick). 

Well, I count three ticks so that’s the green light to include yet another British Contra rotating contraption! 

Cheers and looking forward to seeing it.. Dave 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, adey m said:

2305fd47-b5cb-40e0-9148-60c2a1f2f459.jpg

Here is a pilot's seat in a Shackleton AEW 2, I believe the seats in the MR3 were the same. Note the flip-down armrest.

Hope this helps Pete.

adey

Thanks Adey,

The only views I have from a walkaround of a MR3  show something similar, but the instructions for both the Airfix and Revell MR2 kits show armrests and brown cushions. The MR3 pics show no obvious armrests but perhaps they were in the up position as they are in your pic. Given the position of the trim wheel I would have thought an outboard armrest would just get in the way. The cushions in my pics seem to be black on the left seat and a sort of brown on the right so I will have to guess. I will see what sort of mess I can make of it.

Pete

Pete

Edited by PeterB

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Dear Hosts,

I realised that I have a slightly started FROG Wyvern in the stash. I tarted up the cockpit (three original pieces), glued the wings together (three more pieces), cut out the exhausts (two holes) and found a replacement drinking straw (one new piece).

Can I claim less than 25% done and shift it off the Shelf of Shame after three years of dust gathering?

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

After Novo started importing ex Frog kits I waited ages but did eventually get both a Sea Vixen and a Wyvern and they were worth the wait. I have original Frog decs should you need them.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2019 at 12:14 AM, Bonhoff said:

Thanks Pat and Pete for the confirmation - Me262 it is then..... If there's time later I'll try and squeeze one of the others in.

Kind regards

IanJ

DSC01289-crop

Hi Ian,

Just realized my 1/72 262 is the Frog one that the Cocardes site says was scaled down from your proposed 1/32 Hasegawa/Frog. Wrong colours of course but then no mainline paint manufacture knew about RLM81/82/83 in those days, let alone produced one. If this is anything to go by yours should look fine.

Pete

• Like 3

My first Gallery pictures just went up. Hooray! An out of left field build that I certainly didn't see coming, it's given me a proper boost to crack on with more!

Here's the current backlog on my bench. Steady progress being made on all of them. Happy days.

Hows things looking on your bench?

IMG-7617.jpg

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tony,

Green with envy. Is it my failing eyesight or has your desert P40 got the same problem as all 3 of the Frog ones I built - ;prop blades that break off too darned easily?

Pete

• Like 1

It's not your eyesight Pete, the prop blades fly off at the slightest provocation. Cleaning up the mould lines on these things is not my favourite job.

Even the chunky blades on the P47 prop gave trouble. At least on that one, the loose blade was beefy enough to be drilled and pined. The P40 blades are a bit on the thin side for that though. 

• Like 1

I must admit that, with the exception of a Revell-marketed Skua (memory tells me that it was in a bag, but that can't be right, surely?), I have never built a FROG kit.  I've never bought one, either, possibly because until fairly recently (in various swap meet/stash clearances) I'd never even seen one. The Revell/FROG connection wasn't evident back in the early 80s, so that one doesn't count IMO.

What you fine chaps and chapettes are doing with ancient plastic beggars belief, and I salute you all. I WON'T be joining you, I have quite enough part started kits on the shelf already, TYVM.

Just thought that I'd pop in and cheer you all on. Well done!

Edit. Conundrum. Apparently Revell didn't get their grubby mitts onto the Skua until 1996, and I definitely recall building it while I was in my early teens. Also, the only bagged version seems to be the NOVO release, and the likelihood of that being available in my small bush town back then is miniscule, to be generous. Mandela effect in action perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Rob G

The mystery Skua may have been this;

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/novoexport-f162-blackburn-skua-mkii--162389

With a 3 month GB, surely was can tempt you into joining us ?

Rather than add to the stash why not spend a bit of time on scalemates and see what you have already that has Frog Heritage.

I promise a very warm welcome and lots of encouragement along the way, go on you know you want to !

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe this FROG/BP Aussie issue rings a bell? Some kind of petrol promotion in the sixties I guess.

FROG is not mentioned on the box and the stand is certainly not FROG. I think Toltoys were distributors for the model.

IMG-7546.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Rob G

The mystery Skua may have been this;

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/novoexport-f162-blackburn-skua-mkii--162389

With a 3 month GB, surely we can tempt you into joining us ?

Rather than add to the stash why not spend a bit of time on scalemates and see what you have already that has Frog Heritage.

I promise a very warm welcome and lots of encouragement along the way, go on you know you want to !

cheers Pat

Nope, wasn't that one. Mackay toyshops in the late 70s/early 80s were only just discovering Italeri kits, to go with Matchbox and Airfix. Even early Tamiya was in the future.  Anything more exotic than that would have only been found in the Big Smoke (Brisbane) , which was (at that time) a very, very long 14 hour drive away, so we didn't get there all that often. Thrice, in my first 18 years IIRC. Never mind, unsolved mysteries are part of life. Or, possibly, the result of encroaching dementia...

There is absolutely nothing in my stash that has FROG heritage. Nada. Closest that I could come would be vintage Heller, Airfix or Matchbox, but all 3 of those have had/are having dedicated GBs.

Thank you for the invitation, but I'll sit on the sidelines and cheer you more dedicated types on. As you're no doubt aware, I didn't even manage an entry for my own GB, so I doubt that I'd do any better here!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:31 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Whoever drew Heathers name in the Frog Squad GB sweepstake, please contact @Rabbit Leader to collect your winnings !

Although you may like to think twice before claiming, cause 1st prize is a dinner date with @JOCKNEY!! 

So for those who like late 70’s UK inspired Punk music, you’re in for a real treat!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 6

On 6/8/2019 at 12:00 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Ah Serge  @Aardvark

Nice of you to join us, what Frog / Novo kit can we put you down for or maybe a Donetsk Toy Factory one instead ? 

cheers Pat

"-What  a cunning  man!

- What did you ask?  

- I did not understand!" (с) 

very cult Russian comedy "DMB" of the 90s about the Russian army of the 90s.  Episode with special counterintelligence officer and Krishnaite:

😁😁😁

Ah Pat, ah Pat @JOCKNEY

BRIT.jpg

😁😁😁

Do you really make any of these idlers*

https://www.osce.org/special-monitoring-mission-to-ukraine

break away from their drinks at the Victoria Hotel’s

bar

3be62c0149f813878c8a77e2026f19a7f48fd0c8

and bring me some FROG from England?

😲😁

Because you have no other quick delivery options!

🤗

If serious, for my thematic "Jet fighter in 72nd scale" from FROG/NOVO, only left:

- De Havilland D.H.110 Sea Vixen  FAW.2

- De Havilland D.H.112 Sea Venom  FAW. Mk. 20/21

- Gloster Javelin FAW. Mk.9 

Of course I have all this models unassembled in my collection,  

but this models it's classic British jet fighter, 😎and if my building this models was badly, I risks a life ban on Britmodeller and everyday curses addressed to me from the whole community

Britmodeller!

😁😁😁

I can't go to that, it's very serious for my!

🤗

Therefore my answer: 

"No!"
plakat-45-637.jpg

😁😁😁

There is of course one not serious option.

My little son, somehow wanted to build some kind of model.  I gave him the NOVO Typhoon with doors .... but modern children are not taught to work with their hands as before, they are not interested, I do not want to force him and I will not.

20190609-142405.jpg

As part of this GB, I can finish this Typhoon, collecting it as it is, without any upgrade. Without wheels on stand because son wants a plane in flight.

In addition, I do not have any decals for a Typhoon with a door, so I hope for the help of the community in selecting options and insignia, because Typhoon is not my thematic.  

How does this option suit you?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

About  "special monitoring mission osce in Donetck" & NOVO.

Main base mission osce in Donetck it's hotel "Park inn by radisson"

18.jpg

during the Soviet era, it was a hotel "Kiev" in which only high-ranking officials of the Communist Party stayed (feel the irony of the situation? 😁) and nearby was the local flea market where old-fashioned people sold various old things, including the NOVO models.

As an example, I saw Fairy Firefly there. But probably the local authorities decided that the spectacle of the flea market was unacceptable for foreigners from the OSCE and the flea market was closed. 🤗

P.P.S.

In order not to finally  "hijacked"

the topic:

I decided to answer in this topic.

😎

* - This is not my subjective opinion.

You can judge this by the specifics of local humor. A real photo shop of glasses, translation of the inscription: "For representatives of the OSCE (when presenting a id-card ) discounts on lenses 80%":

1778da71-0fbb-4a14-929c-36f240ec9cb2.jpg

Sad but true...

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 3

On 6/6/2019 at 8:18 AM, AdrianMF said:

Dear Hosts,

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

You may know this already but if you do build the Wyvern, a few years after I built mine I read somewhere that Frog had cocked up the instructions for the undercarriage legs. They swopped left with right so if you follow them you end up with the wheels pointing in when they should point out. I checked and mine are indeed wrong - oh B*gger!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Serge @Aardvark

You are very welcome to join with your / your sons Typhoon, I will have a look for decals for you, if not put a note in the wanted section here on BM, someone is sure to have some.

Finally can I say you look very handsome in the picture of you eating your dinner, although the diet looks a bit unhealthy your standards of attire are impeccable !

cheers Pat

• Haha 3