Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

My apologies if what I'm about to say is either blindingly obvious or has been discussed here before (or both ;)).

I've just realised that the reason why the early plastic FROG kits were called 'Penguins' is because (unlike all previous FROG products), they were flightless.

Interestingly, the same nickname was given to ground trainers in the 1920's.  These were obsolete biplanes which had had their wings removed.  This allowed trainee pilots to practice taxying manoeuvres (often on their own), without the risk of them inadvertantly taking off!

Here's one I made earlier - a Paraguayan SAML 'Pinguino'.

P1100691.JPG

Sorry for the digression - I'll get back back into my box now!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can anyone help me, the Buccaneer cockpit is a bit sparse. Id like to at least try to fill in the empty spaces. Does anyone have a schematic of the cockpit ? Id at least like to get it somewhat close to shape.  

Might be worth posting a query on the Buccaneer GB site. Sort of info they might have perhaps.

With her usual immaculate timing my wife has just suggested I build a wall in the garden - that could throw a spanner in the works somewhat!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

......I've just realised that the reason why the early plastic FROG kits were called 'Penguins' is because (unlike all previous FROG products), they were flightless.

......the same nickname was given to ground trainers in the 1920's.

....also a insulting nickname, immaterial of rank, to anybody serving in the RAF, without an set of aircrew Wings/brevets 

• Like 1

Pat and Dave

Seems like you are going to be lumbered with quite a bit of admin! At this rate it is going to take me over an hour to look at each build on the list so I suppose I will have do it less frequently and leave time for modelling.

Nice one both.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, CliffB said:

Interestingly, the same nickname was given to ground trainers in the 1920's.  These were obsolete biplanes which had had their wings removed.  This allowed trainee pilots to practice taxying manoeuvres (often on their own), without the risk of them inadvertantly taking off!

Cliff,

The concept goes back further than that as I have seen pictures of French training schools using obsolete planes with their wings cropped back in WWI if not earlier.

Pete

• Like 1

Been to the Northern show today ton's of Frog kit's for sale was very tempted with a few some still sealed in polythene for as little as a fiver! Now i'm back I'm kicking

myself for not getting any especially the Supermarine seaplane racer.Oh well never mind.

• Like 1

So I will be joining with a Gannet after the big show in Melbourne on the weekend (Novo packaged).

I also remembered I have a Beaufort in the stash in some sort of Russian/Eastern European boxing. I am pretty sure it has FROG bones but I don't see the boxing in the Scalemates timeline for the kit. I will dig it out to see what plastic is actually in the kit. I think the decals are shot so I will be looking for a set of RAAF decals for it on the weekend.

I will also be on the hunt for some other FROG kits as back ups. Trawling the started threads, I see a few I would like to try and get my hands on.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 11:19 PM, stevej60 said:

Well I see a host of new entries posted we need a Whitley and Meteor unless I've missed something,Oh where's the Sea Fury and Corsair,don't make me go and add more

build's three's enough! This is getting epic.

Aagh...

I missed this GB totally and have almost done all paintwork on my old Frog Sea Fury. A build only started a few days ago... :(

Cheers / André

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

Aagh...

I missed this GB totally and have almost done all paintwork on my old Frog Sea Fury. A build only started a few days ago... :(

Cheers / André

Yes, I know how you feel Andre B - I've just finished the Revell ex Frog Heinkel He.115 which would have been a lovely addition to the GB but I knew that was going to happen when I started it. You'll just need to post your Sea Fury in RFI and then start another one.......

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So I will be joining with a Gannet after the big show in Melbourne on the weekend (Novo packaged).

Nice quick build then, unless of course you decide to open out the cockpit and wheel wells. I did detail the cockpit on mine but bottled our and left it wheels up. Later I acquired a vac form conversion fuselage and turned it into an AEW3.

Good luck

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Got two options, possibly three.

First two are the DH Hornet F3 and the Dornier 335 which are being built already.

Option 3 (Possibly) - I have a Hasegawa ME262 in 1/32 scale which (I think) was boxed as F289 by Frog - Can't really decide looking at Scalemates if I'm correct or not - Mine is an 80's boxing numbered S14, as is the initial Hasegawa issue.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

TIA

IanJ

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 7:03 AM, CliffB said:

My apologies if what I'm about to say is either blindingly obvious or has been discussed here before (or both ;)).

I've just realised that the reason why the early plastic FROG kits were called 'Penguins' is because (unlike all previous FROG products), they were flightless.

Here's one I made earlier - a Paraguayan SAML 'Pinguino'.

P1100691.JPG

Sorry for the digression - I'll get back back into my box now!

330px-Morane_rouleur_Issoudun_Field_1_1918

Apparently the French called them "Rouleurs" and as well as clipping the wings they took the tailplane off to stop the tail lifting and the prop digging in presumably. Looks like they might have widened the track of the undercarriage as well. Picture of Morane courtesy of Wiki.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

First two are the DH Hornet F3 and the Dornier 335 which are being built already.

Option 3 (Possibly) - I have a Hasegawa ME262 in 1/32 scale which (I think) was boxed as F289 by Frog - Can't really decide looking at Scalemates if I'm correct or not - Mine is an 80's boxing numbered S14, as is the initial Hasegawa issue.

TIA

IanJ

Hi Ian,

To save either Pat or Dave saying it, you can't have too many Hornets or Ar234's. Anyway, my Hornet will only be built if I get at least 4 other kits done before I run out of time, so feel free - nobody will mind in the least and we will all be interested to see how it turns out. FYI if I do build one it will be in the Medium Sea Grey over PRU Blue option which still leaves camo and overall silver if you want a different paint scheme. Just noticed your 262 is on the Frog Cocardes site - though they have not reviewed it they do say under the entry for the 1/72 version that it looks like a scaled down version of the Hasegawa 1/32 that Frog were also selling. Sounds good to me.

Good luck.

Pete.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

TIA

IanJ

Hi Ian

Your Me262 in 1/32 is a very welcome addition to this GB, link to it below

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f289-messerschmitt-me262a--953399

Can't wait to see this one started

cheers Pat

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Ian

Your Me262 in 1/32 is a very welcome addition to this GB, link to it below

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f289-messerschmitt-me262a--953399

Can't wait to see this one started

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat and Pete for the confirmation - Me262 it is then..... If there's time later I'll try and squeeze one of the others in.

Kind regards

IanJ

• Like 3

On 22/05/2019 at 07:40, Rabbit Leader said:

Glad to see you’ve found us adey. You got any plans to join us? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave, and all you other FROG fans out there, things are rather quiet on the modelling front at present, due mainly to me rediscovering my passion for motorbikes....................

When I was in my teens my motorbike was a means for getting into Scarborough from our village and visiting the model shops. ........ which are all gone now. I remember riding into town after Sixth Form College one afternoon and parking my bike outside the model shop on Bar Street.......... now gone and Bar Street is now a pedestrian precinct ......... and coming away with a FROG DH Hornet. ........ and the time I strapped a Lindberg Victor to my bike and worried how I was going to smuggle the big box past my stepfather when I got home......................

But I am enjoying keeping an eye on the proceedings.

kind regards ...... adey

• Like 5

Good to hear from you @adey m and nice to hear that you’re at least keeping one eye on all these builds. At least you are still tinkering with some hobby which is always good for the mind and soul. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Just posted this on the general forum - anybody here have any info on the pilot's seat in the Shackleton MR3 - shape, colour, location etc?

Cheers

Pete

@adey m can we tempt you into joining us ?

You are after all the reason we are all enjoying this GB !

Lots to choose from which haven't been built yet or double up on one that are on here already, I promise you will be made to feel very welcome.

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1