Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

JOCKNEY

Frog Squad GB Chat

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Anybody else excited for this to start? I have gone through my two kits and found that my Ventura is lacking the ventral gunner position transparency... just my luck! (Long shot but If anyone happens to have a spare it would be much appreciated)

 

Anyhow as payday is imminent I visited the well know auction site for a browse and came across an exotic little number in the delta research aircraft the Fairey Delta II. This was Frog serial number F333. I shall try and get this submitted in the group build too!

 

Despite my youth, this is what i love about Frog, the audaciousness to bring out models of obscure and interesting aircraft like this! 

 

spacer.png

 

Cheers

Ash

Edited by Doccur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Doccur said:

Anybody else excited for this to start? I have gone through my two kits and found that my Ventura is lacking the ventral gunner position transparency... just my luck! (Long shot but If anyone happens to have a spare it would be much appreciated)

 

spacer.png

 

Cheers

Ash

 

Hi Ash

 

Great choices, pop a wanted request for your missing part on the wanted section here on BM. I have been really lucky in the past, so you have a good chance of getting one.

 

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we’ve just had our local swap meet and naturally my eyes seemed to have been focused on Frog kits. I managed to pick up an original Sea Venom, Novo Proctor and Eastern Express examples of the Gloster E.28/39 and Supermarine Attacker for the equivalent of about 7 quid! 

 

Out of that lot I think the ‘Whittle’ might get started as I’m quite impressed by how the internal intake pieces join to form an enclosed cockpit tub. A little time spent boxing in those wheels wells and this little thing might just scrub up nicely. The Proctor also looks  quite serviceable for such an old kit, just need to find a good scheme to highlight those funky wheel spats. 

 

Not long now chaps - glue, files and cutting implements at the ready! 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well we’ve just had our local swap meet and naturally my eyes seemed to have been focused on Frog kits. I managed to pick up an original Sea Venom, Novo Proctor and Eastern Express examples of the Gloster E.28/39 and Supermarine Attacker for the equivalent of about 7 quid! 

 

Out of that lot I think the ‘Whittle’ might get started as I’m quite impressed by how the internal intake pieces join to form an enclosed cockpit tub. A little time spent boxing in those wheels wells and this little thing might just scrub up nicely. The Proctor also looks  quite serviceable for such an old kit, just need to find a good scheme to highlight those funky wheel spats. 

 

Not long now chaps - glue, files and cutting implements at the ready! 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

 

I was thinking of making up my Whittle in the later form, with a couple of small auxiliary vertical surfaces on the horizontal stabs - should be easy enough. Then I can paint it grey/green/yellow to make it something just a little different.

 

Pat - seem to remember reading that you have to have a minimum 100 posts before you can use the "Wanted" section, which has put me off as I don't qualify - is that correct?

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Pat - seem to remember reading that you have to have a minimum 100 posts before you can use the "Wanted" section, which has put me off as I don't qualify - is that correct?

Yes Peter, the 100 post rule does apply, however you've only got 47 more posts before you qualify. A little more keyboard bashing should get you there! 

Cheers.. Dave  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the only Frog kit I have is the Maryland with shot decal's but I might be able to do the free French version with spare's,we've got the Northern show

coming up so chances are there will be one or two kit's hanging around so if anything interesting turn's up I could stretch to another build or two or three

or four..........................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Well the only Frog kit I have is the Maryland with shot decal's but I might be able to do the free French version with spare's,we've got the Northern show

coming up so chances are there will be one or two kit's hanging around so if anything interesting turn's up I could stretch to another build or two or three

or four..........................

Steve,

 

I have at least 1 full set of original Frog decs for the Maryland so if you want to do the SAAF version send me a PM with your address etc and I will post one. They have been kept in a cool dark place for over 30 years and normally work OK, though I sometimes give them a coat of MS Decal Fix (or varnish) to play safe. Of course if you want to do something different how about one in original or Vichy French markings assuming you have the decs?

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PeterB said:

 

I have at least 1 full set of original Frog decs for the Maryland so if you want to do the SAAF

Ah brilliant Peter many thank's,mines a Polish re-boxing with the worst out of register roundel centre's I've seen for many a year,I'll PM

address for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well we’ve just had our local swap meet and naturally my eyes seemed to have been focused on Frog kits. I managed to pick up an original Sea Venom, Novo Proctor and Eastern Express examples of the Gloster E.28/39 and Supermarine Attacker for the equivalent of about 7 quid! 

 

Not long now chaps - glue, files and cutting implements at the ready! 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave,

 

I remember the Attacker - possibly the first Frog kit I bought, complete with solid cockpit and no wheel wells! I hacked out the cockpit and stuck a seated pilot in (ex-Airfix) and did it wheels up. Some time later I saw a conversion article (probably still have it if you feel mad enough to try it) which said it needed a lot of work, but I left it alone. Only replaced it a couple of years ago when I bought one from "A Model". Happy days!

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Dave,

 

I remember the Attacker - possibly the first Frog kit I bought, complete with solid cockpit and no wheel wells! I hacked out the cockpit and stuck a seated pilot in (ex-Airfix) and did it wheels up. Some time later I saw a conversion article (probably still have it if you feel mad enough to try it) which said it needed a lot of work, but I left it alone. Only replaced it a couple of years ago when I bought one from "A Model". Happy days!

 

Pete

I think the Attacker was my first foray into Frog (well it was Novo by then) as well. I certainly recall the lack of wheel wells and pilots head in that solid cockpit. I got my cousin to paint her up and he did a good job of it too. We were both really annoyed when when the Novo decals exploded into a million bits when they hit the dish of water - it was pretty soul destroying. The kits windscreen is also a little off, however I do have a Vac replacement which will no doubt need a lot of work to fit right. I probably won't build it during this GB, so will put it aside until I get that mad urge to tackle something insanely stupid. 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

 The kits windscreen is also a little off, however I do have a Vac replacement which will no doubt need a lot of work to fit right. I probably won't build it during this GB, so will put it aside until I that I get that mad urge to tackle something insanely stupid. 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Know that feeling well Dave - my father was in India during the war and used the expression "Doolaly Tap" which I have recently discovered refers to the transit camp and hospital at Deolali where soldiers with mental problems were sent - I dare say there is a similar colourful Australian expression for the condition?

 

Can't put my hands on the conversion article at the moment but I seem to recall that as well as the obvious problems with the cockpit, wheel wells and canopy there were also problems with the tail - both wrong shaped horizontal surfaces and perhaps the vertical as well. Then of course he had to make a replacement undercarriage including twin tailwheels not one as I think Frog may have provided, and the chap doing the conversion also made out of plasticard formers and filler the large ventral fuel tank Attackers usually carried. All in all you will certainly need a mad urge as you state! Decals are relatively easy compared with the rest of the problems.

 

Well that's another post towards my 100 as you suggested.

 

Cheers

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pete

I could pop a wanted post on the board for you, I'm not sure if that's allowed, but I'm sure someone will soon let me know if it isn't !

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rules have just been changed by @Mike for the wanted section so it seems that  @PeterB is free to ask away.

 

BTW, I do have some spare FROG decals so if I can help anyone just send a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The rules have just been changed by @Mike for the wanted section so it seems that  @PeterB is free to ask away.

They have (although it was more of a group effort) and he is :)

 

Think I might have got the wrong end of the stick there - the change in the rules relates to anyone being able to ask for instructions or painting guides in the new section we created.  It's been a long day, and PhoenixII sent me a PM that set my head ticking :boom:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Guys

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2019 at 10:01, Rabbit Leader said:

Well we’ve just had our local swap meet and naturally my eyes seemed to have been focused on Frog kits. I managed to pick up an original Sea Venom, Novo Proctor and Eastern Express examples of the Gloster E.28/39 and Supermarine Attacker for the equivalent of about 7 quid! 

 

Out of that lot I think the ‘Whittle’ might get started as I’m quite impressed by how the internal intake pieces join to form an enclosed cockpit tub. A little time spent boxing in those wheels wells and this little thing might just scrub up nicely. The Proctor also looks  quite serviceable for such an old kit, just need to find a good scheme to highlight those funky wheel spats. 

 

Not long now chaps - glue, files and cutting implements at the ready! 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave, that sounds like an excellent local swap meet you have - I wonder if the supply of these old kits (unmade) will ever run out! Not in my lifetime hopefully. The 'face to face negotiations' way of picking up these old kits must be a joy - I'm still fizzing after putting in a bid on ebay for an old kit, for which it appeared I was the only interested bidder, only to have some person appear and outbid with 2 seconds to go (must have been that auto-bidding software that is available). Grrr! Anyway, roll on June 1 for this epic GB - happy modelling to all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Dave, that sounds like an excellent local swap meet you have - I wonder if the supply of these old kits (unmade) will ever run out! Not in my lifetime hopefully. The 'face to face negotiations' way of picking up these old kits must be a joy - I'm still fizzing after putting in a bid on ebay for an old kit, for which it appeared I was the only interested bidder, only to have some person appear and outbid with 2 seconds to go (must have been that auto-bidding software that is available). Grrr! Anyway, roll on June 1 for this epic GB - happy modelling to all. 

I must admit that on the rare occasions I bid on said site I leave it to the last minute and use auto-bid, but it wasn't me this time - honest! Last time I bid was for a 2nd hand airbrush that was standing at £8 with an hour to go. Most I was prepared to pay was £12 but it went for £18 after a flurry of bidding in the last minute. Guess the seller was pleased.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I must admit that on the rare occasions I bid on said site I leave it to the last minute and use auto-bid, but it wasn't me this time - honest! Last time I bid was for a 2nd hand airbrush that was standing at £8 with an hour to go. Most I was prepared to pay was £12 but it went for £18 after a flurry of bidding in the last minute. Guess the seller was pleased.

 

Pete

Pete, the most maddening is when new bidders appear with seconds to go and come up as 'identity withheld' or some such wording! What's all the secrecy about? Anyway, it's all within the rules so just best to get on with it. I got the majority of my Frog Stash (approx 100 kits) from ebay and haven't been declared bankrupt so it can't be that bad. Can't promise to build 100 kits in this GB though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Pete, the most maddening is when new bidders appear with seconds to go and come up as 'identity withheld' or some such wording! What's all the secrecy about? Anyway, it's all within the rules so just best to get on with it. I got the majority of my Frog Stash (approx 100 kits) from ebay and haven't been declared bankrupt so it can't be that bad. Can't promise to build 100 kits in this GB though! 

Don't think I withold my identity but e-bay use a code.  Using the "show automatic bids" box can sometimes tell you who is lurking in the background - they often use a "sighting bid" to see who else is playing the same game, then make a serious bid just before the end.

 

I think one of the best I did was the 1/72 Airfix TSR2 which the seller had set up to end at a bad time. Airfix had stopped making it by then and prices were high but I managed to get it for £30 (which was high enough - must get round to making it) and the next one went a couple of days later for over £40 I think so I saved enough for the odd detailing set. Speaking of bad end times, 2.30 on a Tuesday afternoon got me a Draken for a fiver as I bid from work, having delayed my lunch hour. I guess if you want to get a good price you should set it to end on a weekday at around 9pm or perhaps a Saturday morning when buyers are not down the pub though the increasing use of smart phones may negate that problem somewhat! I have used Kingkit a couple of times lately and they are pretty good - at least they guarantee all the ruddy parts are there, unlike the Bronco I bought on e-bay from a charity which was missing the fuselage - even I can't make/cast one of those! They did offer me a refund in fairness but I told them it was a donation.

 

Just bought a load of filler and very fine wet/dry paper for my Shackleton - not long now.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Can't promise to build 100 kits in this GB though! 

That’s understandable Mike, so in order to cut you a bit of slack @JOCKNEY and I will just accept 50 Frog builds for this GB. Aren’t we accomodating hosts!! 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PeterB said:

Just bought a load of filler and very fine wet/dry paper for my Shackleton - not long now.

Would have thought a rasp or sweetheart file would be more appropriate to tackle those Battleship rivets!! 

 

Eagerly awaiting this GB’s kick off time and nice to know that due to global time zones I get a 10 hour start (for once being on this side of the world has an advantage!) 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have three Miles Masters that I would like to build (1 straight, one converted to a MkII, one converted to a Martinet). The Mercury engines and cowlings will be coming from a Revell re-pop of the Frog Blenheim, so I think it's all within theme.

 

I have a whole pile of Frog and -spawn kits in the stash but I suspect three will be enough, or more than enough, in the time available...

 

I "kinda started" one of the Masters on the Trainers GB by cutting up the rear fuselage and gluing three bits of the wing together, but with an Oxford on the go there's no way I'm going to get to it again before June 9th. I would argue that the wing progress is more than compensated for by cutting the rear fuselage into pieces so I'm pleading the "less than 25%" rule. I hope that's OK?

 

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

it appeared I was the only interested bidder, only to have some person appear and outbid with 2 seconds to go

I know what you mean. I used to hover over auctions I was interested in right to the bitter end. But now I put a reasonably early bid of up to what I'm prepared to pay and walk away. If it goes past that it was too expensive anyway. Then I check the next morning. If you pay too much sod's law says that three of that rarity will turn up the next day. I save a lot of money that way!

 

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure all will be good with your triple Master GB builds here Adrian. As long as the main bits  are all from the same kit, various add ons and improvements from others is allowed. l’ll be taking that approach to my Canberra which will be mainly Frog, but with a few Airfix and AM bits thrown in to (hopefully?) improve things. 

 

Cheers.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...