Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

Quickie.

Whilst digging out the kits I hope to complete I found my copy of the 1975 Frog Catalogue which has the 64 kits then in production listed with their "F numbers". Not sure if they ever released the 1976 catalogue before they ceased trading but I do know they released the Arado 234 and the Sea Vixen that year as I bought the former, but when I went back a few weeks later for the latter they had gone with no hope of any more coming in, or so I was told. Ended up getting the Novo version a few years later.

Don't know if it would be helpful for drawing up a list?

Pete

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Don't know if it would be helpful for drawing up a list?

Thanks Pete, between Scalemates and the Richard Lines & Leif Hellstrom "Frog Model Aircraft 1932-76" publication, I'm pretty sure I've got all I need to put something together. Just flicking through the back section of this book I noticed that some kits were issued with more than one 'F' number, this could prove to be a bit of a challenge so will see how we start and if it gets too hard (perhaps) use a different category to list them in. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Pete, between Scalemates and the Richard Lines & Leif Hellstrom "Frog Model Aircraft 1932-76" publication, I'm pretty sure I've got all I need to put something together. Just flicking through the back section of this book I noticed that some kits were issued with more than one 'F' number, this could prove to be a bit of a challenge so will see how we start and if it gets too hard (perhaps) use a different category to list them in. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

Yes I had noticed that too from the French site - for example the Fw 190A

1st reprint: black box type F1 (1965-1967): 75000 copies

2nd reprint: box type S (1965-1968) with booklet ref F147: 20000 copies

3rd reissue: black box type G1 (1968-1971) ref F211

And in my catalogue F393!

Likewise Fiat G55

1st reprint blue box type H (1974-1976) ref F430, 25000 copies (as in catalogue)

2nd edition black box type H (1976-1977) ref F216, 25000 copies.

Looks like F numbers may not work.

Good luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What about using the F numbers in our WIP’s ? This is my entry, 

If i use the Specific F# on this kit in my WIP entry, could you do it that way ? Im planning on doing this Buccaneer. 

Most definitely and I like the thought of adding this to the thread tile (eg. Fxxx - Blackburn Buccaneer).

It’ll all work well when someone builds an original Frog kit, however I believe we are also going to see a large collection of Frog Spawn, Hasegawa & Revell kits which muddies the waters a bit! 

Anyway - it’s good to see a number of us chipping into this thread as it shows that the enthusiasm is most definitely gaining momentum just six weeks out. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I think the FROG F code could still be used with the  Frogspawn kits as the molds are pretty much the same. Decals or transfers would be the main differences to the original issues, but even original FROG builds will in all probability get them changed to suit the builders tastes.

The Hasegawa/FROG mold swapping still works as well, using the FROG catalogue numbers even if the kit was in a Hasegawa box. The mold is the same in each case. Ditto the Revell stuff and any other oddballs.

Maybe add something in brackets to the number to denote the build is from something other than a FROG original?  I can't see it making much difference though, the kit remains the same.

I would argue that anything that appeared in an original FROG catalogue is good to go. That covers even the oddities like the imported AMT car kits. Anything that allows more builds has got to be a good idea.

Can we start yet?

Tony, getting a bit twitchy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Dave,

I presume Frog used the numbers the same way Airfix and Hasegawa do - changing them at least sometimes when they reboxed/reissued.  The "Cocardes" site seems to indicate around 189 planes including Hasegawa and "other brands" together with 22-25 ships and 8 "sets" of multiple planes. Add in the Frogspawn and I suspect it will be tricky - rather you than me mate. For the record my Me 410 is what I believe is a 2nd boxing F178 but the only difference between that and the one I bought in 1966 is that the plastic is dark grey instead of light blue but at least that is better that the bright yellow Novo Barracuda!. The Me 110G is F 202.

On the subject of catalogues I also found a 1976 Fujimi, 1982 Heller, 1989 Matchbox and 1990 Hasegawa if they might be of help in any future projects.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

boxes

Well, with thanks to Pat for his help, I seem to have got Flickr working, at least for the moment. Now all I have to do is build the ruddy things.

DSC01017

And just to prove to myself it does work here are some I did earlier as the saying goes. I  modified the turret on the Blenheim to show it in the "semi retracted" position, so the gun is stowed inside the fuselage in case anybody wondered where it was.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your help Pat - much appreciated. The only thing I was doing wrong was not actually clicking on the "Upload Now" tab after selecting a pic - getting old!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

I can't believe we are only a few weeks away from starting so I thought I should set a good example by finding my kit. After much searching I found in the last place I expected (as normal !) and here it is :

IMG_4352

IMG_4351

Mine is the AMT boxing of the original "1968 Frog kit F274" (that's just for Rabbit Leader to keep us all in order !). It's blooming big, oh well the old saying....."go large or go home"......make mine a large one :cheers:

I'm going to need a lot of Orange paint !

cheers Pat

• Like 5

Nice one Pat, well as co-host (Well I think I signed up?) I probably should show my hand as well, so here’s my initial contribution.

It’s the English Electric Canberra B(I)8 / 12 hopefully to be completed in Kiwi ‘Konfrontasi’ colours. This is Frog kit number F203 and is the original deal from 1972. I’ll be doing some homemade mods and a small amount of kit bashing to hopefully improve the somewhat basic components in the box. 

Cheers.. Dave 

46916089774_c7be38453b_b.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice one Pat, well as co-host (Well I think I signed up?) 

Cheers.. Dave 

Sorry Dave

Im afraid in a moment of weakness you did indeed offer to co-host. This is all the more reckless as I have never hosted before !

Great choice by picking the Canberra, I'm really looking forward to the variety of kits that this GB will unearth from the dark recesses of the stash  :door:

cheers Pat

• Like 3

Looking forward to it Pat.. I’m sure we’ll both host a good GB, with the combination of a crazy Scot and a silly Aussie - what could possibly go wrong?? 

Cheers. Dave 

• Haha 2

On 4/20/2019 at 9:49 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice one Pat, well as co-host (Well I think I signed up?) I probably should show my hand as well, so here’s my initial contribution.

It’s the English Electric Canberra B(I)8 / 12 hopefully to be completed in Kiwi ‘Konfrontasi’ colours. This is Frog kit number F203 and is the original deal from 1972. I’ll be doing some homemade mods and a small amount of kit bashing to hopefully improve the somewhat basic components in the box. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I seem to recall mine suffered from a badly warped fuselage - hope yours is better.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Decided after seeing Ratch's build of Revell's HE-219 Owl.Frog's version from the same era is still available for reasonable prices,never built anyone's

version and the painting will be interesting,sorted!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Decided after seeing Ratch's build of Revell's HE-219 Owl.Frog's version from the same era is still available for reasonable prices,never built anyone's

version and the painting will be interesting,sorted!

Built the original when it came out and a few years ago decided to try again so bought a Revell one. Thought it would be the Frog kit reboxed but Scalemates say Revell original. I fancy doing it in the "one wing undersurface black" scheme which was apparently an attempt to stop German Flak gunners shooting at their own planes when caught in a searchlight beam - bit like the early war RAF half black half white scheme I guess. Treated myself to a set of brass SN-2 antennae as the kit ones are a bit clunky though good for the day.  Have fun!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4

On 4/22/2019 at 12:05 AM, PeterB said:

I seem to recall mine suffered from a badly warped fuselage - hope yours is better.

Pete

No Pete, my fuse and both sets of underwing parts are horribly warped as well. I’ve had them taped and elastic banded together for a while now in the hope that things might straighten a bit. I’m a bit gun shy to try the hot water method, my last attempt at correcting a Spitfire rear fuse ended up a bin filler. 

Cheers.. Dave 

46916109044_f5e36ac595_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I fancy doing it in the "one wing undersurface black"

You mean something like this one ? 

MLg7eqa.jpg

eOugXk7.jpg

i opted for the scheme you're describing. Though my research says that particular scheme was an early pre-production aircraft. And that it was used for combat testing of the type. Either way it makes for an interesting scheme. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You mean something like this one ? 

MLg7eqa.jpg

eOugXk7.jpg

i opted for the scheme you're describing. Though my research says that particular scheme was an early pre-production aircraft. And that it was used for combat testing of the type. Either way it makes for an interesting scheme. 

Dennis

HI Dennis,

Yep that's the one. Not sure how common it was but also seen on Ju88G according to my references.

Pete

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

No Pete, my fuse and both sets of underwing parts are horribly warped as well. I’ve had them taped and elastic banded together for a while now in the hope that things might straighten a bit. I’m a bit gun shy to try the hot water method, my last attempt at correcting a Spitfire rear fuse ended up a bin filler. 

Cheers.. Dave 

46916109044_f5e36ac595_b.jpg

Hi Dave

I'm really sorry to hear that, is it still warped when you put both halves together ?

cheers Pat

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dave

I'm really sorry to hear that, is it still warped when you put both halves together ?

cheers Pat

She’ll be fine Pat, I’ve got a large hammer somewhere in my tool chest, I’ll bash it into shape good and proper. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

She’ll be fine Pat, I’ve got a large hammer somewhere in my tool chest, I’ll bash it into shape good and proper. 

Cheers.. Dave

It's great to see a Master Craftman at work :winkgrin:

• Haha 2