Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

21 hours ago, PeterB said:

Well I certainly picked a good one for my first GB!

I'd like to echo that Pete. Was my first GB and a great experience. FROG models were an important part of my youthful modelling, I enjoyed going back to those roots and learned a lot about FROG kits in the process.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, stevej60 said:

it really does feel like end of the Holiday time

Absolutely Steve, and literally true as we just got back from a holiday in Wales. Felt a bit at a loss on Monday :mellow:, but as I've said before, 'it's an ill wind'... I may now be able to finish my Airfix Spit XIX !

Looking ahead, there are plenty of forthcoming GBs that look fun to take part in (and thus an opportunity to increase my stash to even more unrealistic levels).

Thanks everyone and especially our hosts.

• Like 5

B.w. have statistics about most biggest chat GB on Britmodeller?

This topic have 50 pages now, have any more?

19 hours ago, PeterB said:

I hope the situation over there improves before long,

Pete, sorry, but You very optimistic.

19 hours ago, PeterB said:

and look forward to hearing from you on other builds.

First need finish

begun on Britmodeller!

Of course first it will be a Typhoon, next - first generation MiG-21 family ( MiG-21F, MiG-21F-13, Ye-2A, Ye-5, Ye-50U) then La-15.

When this program was ending, then i will think about Swift F.2/4 + Swift F.Mk.7,  Hunter family (FGA.9, P.1099B, P.1083), BAC Lightning F.6 (with teeth!!! only with teeth!!!) and Vampire + Venom.

So, this my manifest.

Sorry, but this model aircraft unsuitable for FROG-2 squard GB!

🤗

B.R.

Serge

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately it looks like John is not visiting the forum at the moment so if anybody happens to have his email address can I suggest they contact him and tell him Enzo is holding the gallery open temporarily for him to post his 3 completed builds.

Just a thought.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I know the build is finished but I thought it would be worth posting all four of my builds together. Shows the difference in FAA technology from 1936 to 1956. You can also see the differences in the boxing through the Frog/Frogspawn eras. Purely for enjoyment. 

resized_d0eb17f9-728a-4e01-9427-fe66c5db

resized_bcbb04f0-3a9c-465e-8c7f-1593e58a

resized_d281ea59-b2dc-4e6e-b1c3-9a5a9762

Thanks also to the mods @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader for everything. A truly enjoyable GB. 

• Like 10

Hi Guys,

As this was my first GB I have nothing to compare it with, but I am beginning to suspect it might not have been entirely typical. In the 2 GB I have now joined after this, there is some good modelling and an interesting range of kits, but the conversation is mostly limited to the actual builds whereas in this one the atmosphere was more like that I would expect in a modelling club - conversations about family, holidays, aircraft museums, building projects (eg walls) and of course pets. What people in the North of England and Scotland would call a good Crack, and in Ireland perhaps a Craic, and all the more enjoyable for it.

I wonder if that could be something to do with the subject as I suspect most of the participants are old enough to remember seeing Frog kits in the LMS, if not actually building them back in the 1960's and 70's. Perhaps it is early days yet but the "Chat" pages on the other 2 GB look like they will never reach the proportions of this one and to date I have only seen one picture of a cat! Mind you, in fairness they have far less models/modellers involved.

Maybe I was lucky to join a GB with a load of talkative older modellers? I hope I will be luck enough to find another before too long as the current ones are not half as much fun. Well done guys.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Perhaps it is early days yet but the "Chat" pages on the other 2 GB look like they will never reach the proportions of this one and to date I have only seen one picture of a cat!

Pete, I  fully

agree with You, modeling chat on GB without photo cat's it's not a chat....and GB without photo cat, eat, animal, alcohol.... and of course wall 😉 this not true GB!

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

I think I just discovered the ideal GB formula!

😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Maybe I was lucky to join a GB with a load of talkative older modellers? I hope I will be luck enough to find another before too long as the current ones are not half as much fun.

Older modellers!! How very dare you, harrumph, harrumph. 😀

I think you are probably right, and I can't recall seeing a wall being discussed on BM before either - at least not a real one..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi Jinxman,

I did try and expand the subject with my quiz but only you and Dave responded - maybe if the fuse was made of plastic....?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Older modellers!! How very dare you, harrumph, harrumph. 😀

I suspect what you meant was modellers with extensive life experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

@Rabbit Leaderand I have now got 2 separate GBs on the go, mines the " flying boat GB" and his is "the year i was born GB".

You are all very welcome to join either or both & Dave & I promise to do our best to replicate the fun that has been so much a part of this GB.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Thanks Pat,

I think part of the problem is that there are not nearly as many builds/builders involved in most other GB so you don't get quite the same level of interaction - so  "the more the merrier" literally!

Unfortunately it looks as if John has decided to take a break from modelling, but perhaps he will surface over the weekend.

Cheers

Pete

PS The quiz was in my Meteor build thread on Dave's GB.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

I must admit, I’ve been waiting for John to populate the Gallery before signing off in some formal way, however time has lapsed and the proper moment has ‘possibly’ slipped. 

To answer Pete’s GB query, I agree that these Classic kit GB’s are always the most popular. My first was the Matchbox II GB of a few years ago and it was so much fun that I decided to start a ‘Build List’ for it. I participated in a few others however the same enthusiasm didn’t return until last years Airfix GB. This years Frog GB has outstripped both and I doubt we will ever see such huge support and following again until possibly next years Heller GB.

The GB hosts play a big part which is why it’s always important to have at least two. The larger GB’s always benefit with three or as many participants chipping in to others progress as possible. I’m running my own GB at the moment whilst balancing work, household projects and a somewhat deflated modelling mojo. The timing of Pat and my GB’s hasn’t been ideal so it’s no surprise that we are seeing what we are after all the effort we put into the Frog GB. In the end, what we all put in is what we all get out so keep building and commenting as you all have been as it’s all so very helpful. 

I’ll sign off by wishing to thank each and every one of you for all your fantastic contributions since the 1st of June. We now have great Frog models gracing our modelling cabinets and can look back on them in time and remember the great friendships and jovial conversations we shared whilst building them. 

It’s hard to know how many GB’s I’ll participate in next year however do think that the BoB 80th and Heller GB’s will be good to get onto. 

So finally... cheers and thanks to all of you for making this GB such a huge success.. Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hi guys!
This is my first time participating in such an event and I don’t know all the rules. Please tell me, when will the results of this tournament be officially announced? Will we recognize the winners to congratulate them? Thanks!

On 10/21/2019 at 10:24 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Good evening (Scottish Mean Time) Ladies and Gentlemen. 

Tonight i threw myself at the feet of his GB majesty @Enzo Matrixto allow the gallery to be reopened to enable @Johnto add his 3 completed builds to the gallery. 

Enzo has graciously allowed this as a special case, helped greatly by John being on the correct side of Hadrians Wall (ok i added the last bit) 😉

Therefore @Johnplease get your 3 excellent completed builds in the gallery without further delay.

Cheers Pat 

Sorry guys, I've been away from the Forum for most of the week and I'm just catching up with posts and messages now,

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The real world has a nasty habit of intervening in my kitbashing time, unfortunately. I'm likely to be around infrequently for the next few weeks, pressure of work at the moment.

J

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Olten said:

Hi guys!
This is my first time participating in such an event and I don’t know all the rules. Please tell me, when will the results of this tournament be officially announced? Will we recognize the winners to congratulate them? Thanks!

I’m afraid you might be disappointed. The forum software isn’t capable of coping with such numbers as these classic GBs tend to attract, so there is no voting for a winning entry. Last year's Airfix Classic was the same. 

In some ways, it’s a shame. In other ways, it means we all win! 

• Like 8

I agree Pete. I was intrigued about 'the poll', I'd still like to know how it works, but now I'm glad there was no 'winner'. The Gallery gave an inclusivity for everyone, irrespective of what or how they built it.

• Like 2

This GB might be a perfect subject for a TV series along the lines of "The Detectorists" 😀 - pity Spielberg has already used the title "Band of Brothers" 😞

Pete

• Like 2