Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

On 9/17/2019 at 8:22 AM, Paul821 said:

Regarding stash reduction, despite my builds I have net reduction of three kits. Ok two if you count the Shark which is now pledged to the Floatplanes GB .

However I was in need of paint to finish my P-38 build and seeing that Kingkit now sell Ammo-Mig paint I went to them but to make best use of the flat postage rate something else fell into my shopping basket. It's something that I am fairly certain I can complete in the remaining time, its local to me (so fits my ongoing build criteria) and is not currently represented in this GB.

AFAIK KUTA is the only Gb with any prospect of reducing a stash

I've already got 2 or possibly 3 lined up for it! Though the timescale is rather tight for my liking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

AFAIK KUTA is the only Gb with any prospect of reducing a stash

Depends how you define a stash - I don't count my boxes of part completed kits as a stash - others are free to disagree. I did see Blitzbuilds as a route, three times this year, as stash reductions, but I have already purchased two kits for the Christmas build and last years Aldi/Lidl starter sets provided three more.

• Haha 3

On 9/17/2019 at 9:22 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

So carrying on from Worms' great DH Hornet build thread, I suggested the question "How many Frog kits have we all bought since the start of this GB?"

Well, my intention up front was to always build another Canberra having done such a horrid job of one when I was about 10 years old. But I seem to have amassed many more Frog / Novo kits since then and was somehow thinking, surely I'm not the only one? So since June 1st, I have added to the stash - 

... Hotspur Glider, Bristol 138, Gloster E28/39 (built), Tempest, Spit XIV & V1, DH Hornet, Firefly, Barracuda, Sea Venom, Fairey Delta 2, Proctor, Vengeance and Supermarine Attacker. I am also contemplating the Maryland, Baltimore, Shark, Meteor IV and more Hornets (why??). 

So, has anyone else fallen for this trap? I thought GB's were supposed to help one thin their stash not add to it! Best not mention what additions I've made after the recent Airfix and Matchbox GB's... I think I need help.  

Cheers.. Dave 

Rob S for "Rabbit Leader's Stash's" Defence Your Honour

I submit that at least one of the above was a Birthday Present and therefore cannot be held against the original Question of "How many Frog kits have we all bought since the start of this GB?" which should reduce the Charge against My Client by about 8 or 9 percent.  

I rest the case for the Defence.  

• Haha 1

It is with complete smugness that I can honestly say I now have less than I started with at the beginning of the Frog Squad GB. 

However this has only been achieved by passing on some Frog kits to other BM members for them to build !

Ive now started looking at classic Heller kits, so this brief reduction is unlikely to last 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, PeterB said:

lists 59 aircraft kits. To date most of them are on the build list. The exceptions are as far as I can see F237 Spitfire VIII/IX, F392 Zero, F187 Mosquito IV/VI

Courtesy of Kingkit I am now in the position to add F187 Mosquito to the build list. The build thread should be set up this evening.

• Like 5

Nice one Paul.

May not be very accurate as the wing is mounted too high (or is too low - I forget) apparently, but it still looks good - certainly better that the first one Airfix released way back.

Now we have beaten the Airfix GB total, all we need to do now is get another 50 or so kits completed and into the Gallery! Possible but I suspect it will be tight.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PeterB said:

it still looks good - certainly better that the first one Airfix released way back.

That's one reason I wanted to build it in this GB at the time the Frog Mosquito came out (1968) the only game in town was the Airfix one dating back to 1957. The Frog version was a revelation to me as a teenage modeller. Its surprising that it took until 1972 for Airfix to respond and that nearly forty years later we have not had an update!

• Like 4

Hi Paul,

Managed to pick up a Tamiya 1/72 B.IV recently and it looks pretty impressive. Must get round to making it and my Airfix late model night fighter before long..

Cheers

Pete

A huge thank you goes out to Charlie, AKA Johnson for a really welcome bottle of S'n J polishing powder from his stash.

I mentioned that I was running very low in my Comet build thread. He promptly offered me new supplies! Top man. 

The reason I've not shown any pictures of the underside of the Comet yet is that I was fairly sure I didn't have enough powder left to do that area. I can get cracking on that omission now.

It also means an Academy Stratocruiser will be getting started as soon as this GB is over, along with a 1.48 Airfix EE Lightning that has been unbuilt for far too long. Happy Days.

I'll be sorting out a suitable return gesture before the weekend. Thanks again Charlie.

IMG_9314.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/18/2019 at 3:36 PM, Paul821 said:

Depends how you define a stash

yepp, pessimists

believe that the stash

is half full, optimists

believe that the stash

is half empty

.....realists teach the Kalashnikov assault rifle .....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_the_glass_half_empty_or_half_full%3F

oh, excuse me, about the Kalashnikov assault rifle this is probably from another saying!

😁😁😁

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

However this has only been achieved by passing on some Frog kits to other BM members for them to build !

I look forward to GB on Tamiya, Meng, GWH, "rare resin" e.t.c!

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

I look forward to GB on Tamiya, Meng, GWH, "rare resin" e.t.c!

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

Did I mention my Contrail vacform collection 

Saro London, Blackburn Perth, Blackburn Iris, Short Singapore, Saunders Roe Lerwick, Consolidated P2Y-2, Short Rangoon/Calcutta.

Doubt I'll ever see a Contrail GB, but we might get a Vacform one ?

cheers Pat

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Interesting idea!

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

collection 

Saro London, Blackburn Perth, Blackburn Iris, Short Singapore, Saunders Roe Lerwick, Consolidated P2Y-2, Short Rangoon/Calcutta.

I know a person who could pay good money for the models on this list, but for me personally .... I have to remember this old Soviet poster again:

250px-Dont_drink_1.jpg

😁😁😁

Because for my more interesting Maintruck- Project X !

😎

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

Looks like my previous suspicions were correct - half the pics from my 410 build thread have vanished. Clearly Flickr are as bad as Photobucket for playing games with "free" users as I have only used less than 200 of my allowance. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Did I mention my Contrail vacform collection 

Edited by Rob S
YouTube Video may not be allowable.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

That's a great idea Pat!

One of the most satisfying builds of the dim and distant past was the only vacform I've ever done, a Rareplanes kit, Arado I think (it really was a long time ago...)

On the downside, I recently sold my Aeroclub Spit FR XVIII vacform conversion on ebay (I'll never make that). :unamused:

• Like 2

Far and away the best Vacform I have ever built was Rareplanes Vulcan - beautiful kit and perhaps because of the size and therefore thickness of the plastic, it went together quite easily. The worst was a F89 Scorpion - It made up nicely enough but the long thin wings drooped after a few months - I did try strengthening them but the were too thin for a spar and filler clearly did not work. I waited months for the Rareplanes Victor, and then it was cancelled I believe as Matchbox just beat them to it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Hi Pat,

The first vacforms I came across were "Airmodel" I think - a very wide range including a Ju290 I believe, bit crude and a good spares collection was called for. Then came Sutcliffe's Contrail and Stephens Rareplane which were virtually state of the art by comparison with the earlier ones. I build a McDonnell Banshee, a Cutlass and a Scorpion, and have a good few WWI planes to build sometime. They were the only way to get many of the rarer planes, though since then things like the Banshee, Cutlass, and Scorpion have come out in "main stream" plastic, and some of the others in limited run. Airfix produced their Vulcan not long after I built the Rareplanes one, and Matchbox pre-empted Stevens' Victor. Roden are doing some of the WWI planes, but the 2 seater Albatros, DFW etc are still unavailable. To a considerable extent the Eastern European limited run kits have replaced the vacforms so you don't see that many new ones about. 

I actually became reasonably good at making them, but finding wheels and props was a pain, and the wings had a tendency to bend with age. Just glad Roden produced a Gotha GIV as I did not fancy building my Rareplanes one, even with the set of Aeroclub white metal bits that came with it. If anybody fancies a go at it let me know and I might give it away for the cost of postage.

Good luck with the Perth - I almost bought a Singapore vac form once.

Cheers

Pete

Later.

Just read the vac form article by Gordon Stevens - fascinating. Seems he predated Airmodel (who copied his idea) so it must have been something to do with the way they advertised that meant I did not come across Rareplanes earlier.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

On 17/09/2019 at 00:22, Rabbit Leader said:

So carrying on from Worms' great DH Hornet build thread, I suggested the question "How many Frog kits have we all bought since the start of this GB?"

Well, my intention up front was to always build another Canberra having done such a horrid job of one when I was about 10 years old. But I seem to have amassed many more Frog / Novo kits since then and was somehow thinking, surely I'm not the only one? So since June 1st, I have added to the stash - 

... Hotspur Glider, Bristol 138, Gloster E28/39 (built), Tempest, Spit XIV & V1, DH Hornet, Firefly, Barracuda, Sea Venom, Fairey Delta 2, Proctor, Vengeance and Supermarine Attacker. I am also contemplating the Maryland, Baltimore, Shark, Meteor IV and more Hornets (why??). 

So, has anyone else fallen for this trap? I thought GB's were supposed to help one thin their stash not add to it! Best not mention what additions I've made after the recent Airfix and Matchbox GB's... I think I need help.  

Cheers.. Dave 

Er, I've bought another four....a Vickers Vimy and er.......nooooo, another three hornets....😯

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 17/09/2019 at 00:22, Rabbit Leader said:

Amazingly, only one, the Frog DH110 (precursor to the Sea Vixen kit) at much expense, and it was out of the box for a look-see last night....... I got the Hotspur just before the GB kicked off with plans to build in the 'Trainers GB' but too slow for that. Worryingly, so also help needed, I have been amassing the 'new tool' Airfix kits, for a therapeutic build after this GB, no doubt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Is that on this Site Pete or somewhere else?  

Hi Rob,

Good question - it is a link in a thread Pat posted about his vacform Perth Flying Boat but I can't remember exactly which build group I saw it on. Anyway, here is the link to Part 1 - there is also a part 2.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=4305

Don't know when it was written - it says copyright 2019 but I thought he passed away in 2015.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hosts! Remembering that the revised date of 6th October for this GB was our due Right given that it is a ‘Classic GB’, are you going to ask for a week’s extension to let all us slow builders get our nearly finished builds into the Gallery? We have reached the 50% milestone but we need to get to around 70% to match the previous great efforts! How’s about it?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Hosts! Remembering that the revised date of 6th October for this GB was our due Right given that it is a ‘Classic GB’, are you going to ask for a week’s extension to let all us slow builders get our nearly finished builds into the Gallery? We have reached the 50% milestone but we need to get to around 70% to match the previous great efforts! How’s about it?

I can hear Pat and Dave groaning from here! We outnumber those two slackers though. I propose a months extension, we can always compromise back to a week. 

I miss being a Union Rep.

Tony the helpful.

😉

• Haha 5