Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

If the Frog logo was too big for the server, I would have thought the Floatplane one was too!

It's the same one as last time with the dates changed.

Im sure I'll find out soon enough if it's a problem.

With less than 10 minutes to go looks like it's the Renzan I'll be trying to finish before the end of this GB !

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Have I missed something I see a 6th October deadline did we go cap in hand and ask for an extension or am I thinking

of another matter entirely?

Not quite cup in hand, however a correction of dates to line up with the other 'Classic kit' GB's of the past. 

I now sense your ears have pricked and you'll be onto the KK site within minutes.... look-out, here comes another few Stevie J builds!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Damn,I just had my two seaplane kits arrive from KK yesterday too! Had I know I'd have definitely ordered a Hurricane that said it

looks like If I want to finish the Shark I'm going to have to order another for parts I was going to leave it till next month but we'll see.

• Like 2

Ok, off topic completely but I wonder if anybody can help me fix a small problem. Yesterday I managed to spill some thinners on my computer keyboard. I immediately wiped it with some paper towel, and it looks like I must have pressed a combination of keys that activated some odd function - yes I know I should have turned it off first! I have a Microsoft keyboard and am using Win 7. On my taskbar at the bottom of the screen I have aquired a 3" long white box labelled "address". It is empty and does not seem to do anything but is irritating - anybody know how to turn it off?

Cheers

Pete

Have you right clicked the mouse when in the 'white area' to see if any useful dialogue appears? Or the taskbar at the bottom, a right click in there gives you lots of options, 'Taskbar Settings' might help.

A Google search describing the problem and incl details of your Op Sys might bring up an answer.

If nothing else works and no-one comes up with anything useful, you could try a 'system restore' which takes the PC back to a previous state (I wish I had one, I'd go back to my 20s ^_^).

Best of luck!

Edited by Johnson
More info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So carrying on from Worms' great DH Hornet build thread, I suggested the question "How many Frog kits have we all bought since the start of this GB?"

Well, my intention up front was to always build another Canberra having done such a horrid job of one when I was about 10 years old. But I seem to have amassed many more Frog / Novo kits since then and was somehow thinking, surely I'm not the only one? So since June 1st, I have added to the stash - 

... Hotspur Glider, Bristol 138, Gloster E28/39 (built), Tempest, Spit XIV & V1, DH Hornet, Firefly, Barracuda, Sea Venom, Fairey Delta 2, Proctor, Vengeance and Supermarine Attacker. I am also contemplating the Maryland, Baltimore, Shark, Meteor IV and more Hornets (why??). 

So, has anyone else fallen for this trap? I thought GB's were supposed to help one thin their stash not add to it! Best not mention what additions I've made after the recent Airfix and Matchbox GB's... I think I need help.  

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So, has anyone else fallen for this trap? I thought GB's were supposed to help one thin their stash not add to it! Best not mention what additions I've made after the recent Airfix and Matchbox GB's... I think I need help.  

Cheers.. Dave 

A bit like Elvis's mouse, I have also been caught in the trap, 

After the B17 GB I ended up with another Airfix one, a Revell one and a couple of Academy versions. All are unbuilt, sitting alongside the two I did finish, in a box in the loft. There's a Matchbox Stranraer and Seafox that didn't get built for the first Seaplane GB as well.

The Airfix GB was well catered for before the off, so there were not any stash additions for that one.

As far as the FROG GB goes, I already had a few perfect contenders up and ready to go, However, a mate sent me a big box containing a load of part built/restorable FROG/Renwall AFV kits. Included in the box, there's a Skysweeper AA gun, A tracked Howitzer, an ONTOS and, would you believe it, an Atomic Cannon, complete with it's box!! The chances are a bit slim of even starting on them at this stage of the game though. Maybe for FROG GBII? 

I'm already turning up stuff for the Heller group build and that one is not even close to starting!

Tony.

• Like 4

Regarding stash reduction, despite my builds I have net reduction of three kits. Ok two if you count the Shark which is now pledged to the Floatplanes GB .

However I was in need of paint to finish my P-38 build and seeing that Kingkit now sell Ammo-Mig paint I went to them but to make best use of the flat postage rate something else fell into my shopping basket. It's something that I am fairly certain I can complete in the remaining time, its local to me (so fits my ongoing build criteria) and is not currently represented in this GB.

• Like 2

I haven't added any, but I have hunted my various bits of FROGgery down so they are together - surprised at what I have really. Mostly Frogspawn collected for pennies at shows, but a proper Bf110 G, and a bagged Hasegawa F86.

Is there a group name for a collection of these?  Yes - an army apparently. 😀

• Like 2

Personally, I blame @TonyW! His fantastic collection (you can't just call this a stash) is an inspiration!

Certainly inspired me!

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

"How many Frog kits have we all bought since the start of this GB?"

4 (!) more Sea Furies in various forms.

2 F221F 'hang packs', 1 for 'the collection' and 1 that I'm going to try to do an OOB @stevej60 type build in the last week of the GB (i.e. less than the usual 2 months). We'll see.

2 1963 154Ps. I didn't need 2, but the second was a bargain and the sprues are still 'bent' as when they were originally packed by FROG.

A Ta 152H. I bought loads of these as a kid. Having seen Steve's excellent builds, had to get one. FROG GB 2?

A Novo Corsair. Another one for FROG GB 2?

And a Hotspur Glider because I'd never seen or heard of one before this GB and it's wonderful. Ebay bargain, but the pilots have bailed out and several of the windows are gone too.

And then there's the 4 new Sea Fury books... :whistle:

So yes Dave, I think I need help too, help to find somewhere to stash this lot!

Cheers,

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Have we chatted about box art?

I'm a bit of a fan of box art. There's some really great stuff out there. I have my own favourite (and for anyone who's followed my build it wouldn't take much to guess what).

But what do others think? Any favourites?

Edited by Johnson
picture link didn't work
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Have we chatted about box art?

I'm a bit of a fan of box art. There's some really great stuff out there. I have my own favourite (and for anyone who's followed my build it wouldn't take much to guess what).

But what do others think? Any favourites?

How about the box art for the Vultee Vengence - it gives me vertigo because I feel I'm going into the dive...

ek4gsTm.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

If you want to see how fellow Group Builders dive in with all kinds of helpful information, you could do a lot worse than checking out my Spitfire restoration thread. A question posed by myself regarding underside finish has been very comprehensively answered by more than one member. Thanks lads, I've enjoyed my education.

Tony.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Blimey! Where to start?

Quite so Tony! The contents of the boxes are wonderful (and sometimes the end results...)

But the cover of the box is often why we buy it.

For me, my favourite so far in the FROG GB is Mike's Bleriot XI.

Any more nominations?

Edited by Johnson