Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

the sea/floatplane build that starts next month,

Thanks for that reminder, perhaps my delayed Shark might make an appearance there!! Just need to remember the 25% rule.

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

and your host is also quite an accomodating old chap! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Very true! I am in, and @Rabbit Leader   Sir has given me the go-ahead for an 'interesting' build...You know you want to!

Ray

Ladies and gents

Can I ask you all to refrain from using the current Frog Squad GB signature at the bottom of your posts until I have had a chance to modify it.

I have been told it is oversize so will need to get it made smaller by a grown up due to my limited IT skills !

Thanks for your understanding 

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Classic airfix GB watch out were coming for you 😁

Of course!  If I have paranoia, it does not mean that they do not watch me!  ..... especially Airfix !!!!

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 2

I went to the show in Billericay on Sunday and bought a few FROGs - there's still a month and a half to go, so I might get one or two built!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The two bagged kits are the ex-Hasegawa A-7 Corsair II and a DFI Ventura in spectacularly yellow plastic.

• Like 5

Hi Richard,

Nice selection. There are decs available for the Ventura, Havoc and Blenheim should you decide to build any of those, though the last 2 should be OK being genuine Frog., unless of course they have gone "yellow".

Pete.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi Richard 

Did you happen to choose 3 kits we don't currently have on the build list, i.e. 

Heinkel He111, A7 Corsair II & Boston/Havoc ?

Or is this a very fortunate co-incidence ?

Either way it's great news as it will keep @Rabbit Leader busy, who is currently two timing us with another GB of his own ! And to think he told me I was special :weep:

I love the colour of the Ventura, I have one in a fetching shade of chocolate brown :)

cheers Pat

• Haha 4

Nice haul there Richard... your modelling presence with either one if these would be gratefully appreciated. All in good time of course. 

Cheers.. Dave (who’s eyeing off that Heinkel!) 

• Like 1

I did think about the current builds, I must admit...

However, the Heinkel is one I remember building around 1977 or 1978 - I went out and bought the appropriate Humbrol Authentics mentioned in a Scale Models article by Ian Huntley and tried the technique he suggested of eliminating decal silvering by painting the decal film up to the images in the camouflage colours, applying them to the model before painting it, then painting up to the film edges. It wouldn't work if you were airbrushing, of course. My brother had the Boston back in the day, so there's some nostalgia value there, and it has Australian markings for the Boston III version which might interest someone here...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

My brother had the Boston back in the day, so there's some nostalgia value there, and it has Australian markings for the Boston III version which might interest someone here...

Oh great that's all we need, another mention of the A word !

Nurse bring the big :syringe: @Rabbit Leader needs sedation again !

Please build the Heinkel as I'm hoping at least they didn't appear in Aussie colours :giggle:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Either way it's great news as it will keep @Rabbit Leader busy, who is currently two timing us with another GB of his own ! And to think he told me I was special :weep:

You seem to underestimate ones ability to do two things at once there Pat? Now that you’ve mentioned it, probably justified in thinking so! It was always going to be a hectic period, might have to ditch the husband / fatherly duties for a few months ... I’m sure the household will understand. 

3 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

and it has Australian markings for the Boston III version which might interest someone here...

Can’t imagine who that’ll be Richard?? Now since my last post I’ve back-flipped and changed my mind (must have learned that trick from the missus!). The Boston is now my pick and I could go on about the kits famous VC winning decal option for ages, but that’ll just bore everyone to tears. 

Cheers Dave (... now voting for more Aussie builds) 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

Please build the Heinkel as I'm hoping at least they didn't appear in Aussie colours :giggle:

WHIF schemes are always accepted! 

• Haha 5

Unfortunately I have far too many started projects to get into this one, but I have to say I'm disappointed not to see an A20 Boston/Havoc in this build. One of my favourite Frog kits from my childhood. Ah well.....

Ian

As just explained to Dave in my Lynx thread I've had a disaster (again) with my lamp falling of the shelf over the bench so the Lynx (finished)and S6 (after a right job

fitting the floats) are write off's so taking stock what to do.The B17 is stalled so time to move it on the Wessex which also was "lamped" is repaired and only needs a

couple of sessions so no worries there that just leaves the Shark to start but I'm thinking as we have a superb build of it in progress why not keep it for the floatplane

GB rather than source another,now  tomorrow  I'm ordering a Swordfish for said GB and you Know it's rude to order only one kit so might just grab a couple of cheapies

to replace the losses Hmmm what to build?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Hi Steve,

That is terrible - do you want to borrow a black cat to give the builder the "Evil Eye"? Mine are still a bit small but they have just chased a large adult cat off their patch! Lord help the neighborhood when the hooligans grow up.

I have just had my failing memory "jogged" by a conversation about airliners. Back in the 60's I built a DC-7C in SAS markings. No idea what make it was but it was pretty big so I thought around 1/72, However a search of Scalemates suggests it was probably a Frog 1/96 kit - with a span of 126 ft it would still have been a fair size. Checking, I now realise that besides the Comet Tony is building, and the "Seven Seas", they also did a Viscount, Brittannia and Caravelle in that scale and possibly others. As I recall, although basic by today's standards it built up rather nicely and the decals were good.

So I now have even more respect for Frog.

Incidentally, 2 months into the GB and only 20 short of the Airfix Classic GB total - might beat it yet, but I probably won't be adding another one myself as I have decided to enter the "Year I was Born" GB.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

General question but related to my B-17 build,try as I have due I think to the age(the kit not me) some of the glazing wouldn't fit even with the help

of a large hammer namely the three small windows either side of the nose(1 snapped) and the two smaller windows above the nose,would Krystal

Klear fill them? I've heard of it but never used the stuff it says it can cope with windows up to a quarter inch which probably is a bit bigger than said windows.

Hi Steve,

I have used Krystal Clear for windows slightly larger than that without problems. I apply it with a cocktail stick loaded with the stuff and apply/"stir" it around the fuselage edges of the cutout a bit like creating a soap bubble if that makes sense. Takes quite a while to dry. If it does not work you should be able to cut it back out fairly easily. Humbrol Clearfix also does the same sort of job and dries a bit faster. Remember to give it a coat of varnish after or it will go white if it gets wet, being PVA glue.

I am using clear plasticard for the larger windows in the Shackleton - I have it in 0.5 and 1mm thickness.

Best of luck.

Pete

This blasted weather is a pain, and the forecasters are proving not very accurate. As we are due to have rain most of next week I am pressing on with getting the foundations in for my little wall, but delayed the latest phase until mid afternoon as we were supposed to have rain at lunchtime. Instead it came at tea time just after I had finished laying concrete! Ok, I know it is not a precise science, but in spite of all the modern facilities - computers, satellites etc, they still can't get it right. I was reading something a couple of days ago about the RAF forecaster who predicted the "window" in the weather that allowed the D Day landings to go ahead - good job it was not up to our current forecasters as it would probably have been a total disaster!

Anyway.if it is actually dry on Sunday I may well get the foundations finished and then have a few wet days to get back to work on my builds. However, knowing my luck it will be fine and dry all week. I was hoping to have time to add another build in an effort to beat the Airfix Classic total, but what with the wall and other GB's it may not happen - a few days of steady rain would help.

Here's hoping!

Pete

frogsquadmini

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1