Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

19 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Apologies Bruce

No slight intended !

cheers Pat

I don't know if I could have a "They call me Bruce" Range as the People behind the Movie

may still be around and want Royalties from any Sales!  

• Haha 2

Thanks for enquiring with us @English Electric and there’s definitely plenty of room and time to add another new member on here. Your P-39 or whatever you still have in that box (which you have to tell us!) would be most welcomed, so please start a build thread whenever you have the chance. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PeterB said:

The vendor for the P39 in the former USSR could have the same problem as Serge - no post!

No, Peter, as far as I know on the Britmodeller, I'm the only one with such a problem.

🤗

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Chris,

The P39 has been mentioned a few times in this build thread and seems to have almost mythical status, so it would certainly be very nice to see one built. All I have seen so far were a couple of Russian modelers efforts courtesy of Serge, and they looked ruddy good. As I am sure Pat would say, the more the merrier!

Cheers

Pete

Well having gone through the box I've unearthed not one but three of the p39s. All in different colours. Slightly started by me and not by me but not enough to break the part-started rule. I also found a resin p39 set for the heller kit and some rather lovely p39 decals... I must have been serious at one point! 

Placeholder to go on soon. Pics to follow tonight... 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2019 at 5:10 AM, PeterB said:

Until I looked in my 1975 catalogue I always thought they were 1/500 - certainly the only one I ever made was (Tribal destroyer). However I now find them in a variety of scales from 1/500 for the Royal Sovereign and  Exeter to 1/410 for Tiger, 1/325 for the various Battle class destroyers such as Trafalgar and 1/130 for Shell Welder. Sounds a bit like "one box fits all" again.

The other ones that I had completely forgotten about were the reboxed Hasegawa 1:450 Battleships.  And how could I forget I built the HMS Vanguard in the mid Seventies when I was at High School and had the Box until recently when my Daughter's Dalmatians got into the Packing Box it was in and completely destroyed the entire contents.  

Luckily I still have a bagged Frog kit somewhere (that could have gone in the Frog box had it still existed) and stupidly last month in Melbourne at the Model Expo Smell, Sloth, and Flies I passed on a reasonably (well maybe it wasn't that reasonably) priced Hasegawa one.  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

Well a big thank you to Tony W who has kindly sent new decals for the Wessex and Shark and for the floatplane GB the Swordfish,with the other

shark scheme the Frog builds will continue in that GB!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, English Electric said:

Well having gone through the box I've unearthed not one but three of the p39s. All in different colours

http://retromodels.ru/f415-bell-p-39-airacobra/

"A distinctive feature of the "Baku Cobra" in the 1980s.  There was a packaging from the very rustiest in the world of cellophane.  Seeing and touching it at least once, the sensations remained for a lifetime.  However, in the absence of a box, it was this cellophane that possessed quite good rigidity in order not to allow the parts on the sprues to get severely damaged during transportation and storage, which is not uncommon with Donetsk models.

Further, with the cessation of production at the Baku factory and the disappearance of the “Air Cobra” from the general sale, sets of other manufacturers came on the scene, and now the model can be purchased in a wide range of scales and prices, so there are plenty to choose from for those who want to put on the shelf.  Due to this circumstance, there are no problems with the aftermarket, most of which is also suitable for the hero of our story.
As for fans of antiques, collectors chase the earliest, least affected by the realities of Soviet production sets of dark gray plastic.  Later, as in DFI, in Baku raw materials of the most varied shades were used - light gray, white, blue, light green and yellow, the latter, used already in the 90s, definitely corresponds to extremely low quality castings."

14 hours ago, modelldoc said:

The P-39 kit was produced during soviet times in Baku.

Shortly after collapse of the USSR  all production goes down and is no longer available.

"The production of the model in Baku continued until 1990, but there is no further information about the fate of the imported mold ..."

So,

1. Colour mold it's identification production time.

2. Where's mold now - unknown.

My mold P-39 identified http://retromodels.ru/

as  late 1980s:

20190726-144444.jpg

20190726-144518.jpg

In authentic

packaging from the very rustiest in the world 😁 of cellophane:
20190726-144633.jpg

also I have rare now aftermarket from NeOmega,   but I don't know where is he.

😶

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

"A distinctive feature of the "Baku Cobra" in the 1980s.  There was a packaging from the very rustiest in the world of cellophane.  Seeing and touching it at least once, the sensations remained for a lifetime.  However, in the absence of a box, it was this cellophane that possessed quite good rigidity in order not to allow the parts on the sprues to get severely damaged during transportation and storage, which is not uncommon with Donetsk models.

Further, with the cessation of production at the Baku factory and the disappearance of the “Air Cobra” from the general sale, sets of other manufacturers came on the scene, and now the model can be purchased in a wide range of scales and prices, so there are plenty to choose from for those who want to put on the shelf.  Due to this circumstance, there are no problems with the aftermarket, most of which is also suitable for the hero of our story.
As for fans of antiques, collectors chase the earliest, least affected by the realities of Soviet production sets of dark gray plastic.  Later, as in DFI, in Baku raw materials of the most varied shades were used - light gray, white, blue, light green and yellow, the latter, used already in the 90s, definitely corresponds to extremely low quality castings."

"The production of the model in Baku continued until 1990, but there is no further information about the fate of the imported mold ..."

So,

1. Colour mold it's identification production time.

2. Where's mold now - unknown.

My mold P-39 identified http://retromodels.ru/

as  late 1980s:

20190726-144444.jpg

20190726-144518.jpg

In authentic

packaging from the very rustiest in the world 😁 of cellophane:
20190726-144633.jpg

also I have rare now aftermarket from NeOmega,   but I don't know where is he.

😶

B.R.

Serge

All three of the mouldings I have, have nowhere near the amount of flash that example does. In fact they're quite clean full stop... wow!

1 minute ago, English Electric said:

All three of the mouldings I have, have nowhere near the amount of flash that example does. In fact they're quite clean full stop... wow!

Early 1980 mold?

Dark grey mold colour?

B.R.

Serge

7 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Early 1980 mold?

Dark grey mold colour?

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge,

Nope -

One is a flesh coloured mould and is the nicest of the lot - even having nice transparencies

One is a light mint green colour

One is a turquoise very similar to the one you've got.

I think they're all earlyish.

I got the green one first from the Comet Models bargain bucket at SMW in 2009 for £1, then realised it was missing bits, so had to hunt for more of them! :)

C

17 minutes ago, English Electric said:

One is a flesh coloured mould and is the nicest of the lot - even having nice transparencies

One is a light mint green colour

One is a turquoise very similar to the one you've got.

What colors do you have from those in the photo:

p39_frog_2.jpeg

p39_bfi_3.jpg

aircobra_mb_1.png

p39_bfi_4.jpeg

p39_bfi_2.jpeg

Resource photo:

???

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

Serge,

Your comments about the yellow plastic fit in with the poor quality of a Barracuda kit I bought in that colour.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Serge,

Your comments about the yellow plastic fit in with the poor quality of a Barracuda kit I bought in that colour.

third from left as yellow-preyellow

Barracuda-colors.jpg

???? 😁

I see only orange, green , brown, white & grey.

First in shop I see probably orange in 1988-1989. Strange, but on http://retromodels.ru/f161/ written what orange was no mold in Donetck, but mold in Uzhgorod in 1990:

barracuda_pack_2.png

barracuda_instr_1.png

and after 1990 mold return in Donetck.

Yellow I don't remember, but probably it's after 1990.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I believe I have had yellow, white, brown and black from the various Frogspawn manufacturers over the years, and also a couple of more normal looking grey. Some of them do make painting the interior a bit of a drag. I think that is what first made me start spraying on primer. I seem to remember something in my book on Airfix about having problems getting plastic to work with after the war, resulting in various colours, but perhaps that was for the combs they started off with.

• Like 1

Just letting everyone know I've stupidly double booked myself as a BM GB host / co-host so may be a little quiet on here for a short while. 

The start of a new GB is always fairly hectic and as I'll be running concurrent Build Lists, may not be able to find the time to comment on everyone's excellent Frog builds.    

Rest assure, I will not neglect my own Frog kit build commitments, so will keep these coming at (hopefully) regular intervals as this GB continues. 

..... Now not wishing to solicit / poach any GB members from here, however if you can remember the year that you were born and would like to honour it in model form, jump over to here and let's see what you can do! 

Cheers and thanks for your understanding . Dave 

• Like 3

Sorry Dave,

Not many kits made in the late 1940's and I certainly do not have any! Sounds like an interesting idea though so good luck with it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

9 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Not many kits made in the late 1940's and I certainly do not have any! Sounds like an interesting idea though so good luck with it.

Not sure that’s the idea. Make a model of something that first appeared the year you were born seems more like it. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The prototype Vulcan first flew on the day I was born. Guess what plane I'll be joining that GB with?

To answer the point Chris makes, there were a ton of kits available over here and in the USA before, during and after the war. Ditto references and even an aftermarket. The kits were mainly wood although FROG released the first all plastic Penguin kits prior to WW2. There were models available right from the first days of real flight.

Here's a Chingford Model Aerodrome Pfalz in 1.48 scale, alongside a 1942 Thetford reference book.

IMG-7106.jpg

And here's the companies Battle, in nostalgic B+W, sat on my workbench accompanied by yet more period references.

IMG-7094-copy.jpg

FROG kits were a major step forward with most parts all ready to go, here's the Wellesley in all its glory...

IMG-6738.jpg

The Aeroplane weekly and the Aircraft of the Fighting Powers book series had loads of different model companies advertising in them.

I doubt a full on Group Build for these type of kits would ever get off the ground but it would be fantastic if one did!

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It’s all not that complicated to be honest. Let’s just say that you were born in the year 1948 Pete, then something from the Berlin Airlift would suit, a year prior could see you build Yeagers X-1 etc etc. Its all fairly open and your host is also quite an accomodating old chap! 

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Frog kits, so I’ll leave it at that. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Let’s just say that you were born in the year 1948 Pete, then something from the Berlin Airlift would suit, a year prior could see you build Yeagers X-1 etc etc. Its all fairly open and your host is also quite an accomodating old chap! 

First fly in 1948:

Lavochkin La-174

Alekseev I-215

Curtis XF-87

Gloster E.1/44

Douglas F3D

Lavochkin La-15

Lavochkin La-168

Northrop F-89

McDonnell XF-85

SAAB J-29

Yakovlev Yak-30

Convair XF-92

Lavochkin La-176

Vouth F7U

McDonnell XF-88

SO 6020 Espadon

...and this only fighter, but was also and other aircraft first flying in 1948.

Other way:

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

Eureka - my last remaining little grey cell clearly was having the day off! It would appear I will have to do a bit of research, but I am not promising anything as I have at least 4 to build/finish for this GB, and a Flying Clog for the sea/floatplane build that starts next month, so I am a bit occupied at the moment, even assuming my other half does not have any projects in mind.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3