Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

That is one seriously large trip to make and only a tiny bit of the former USSR 😮 

Yepppp....3 506,8 km ...."That's one small step for [a] FROG/NOVO moulds, one giant leap for modeller's." (C)*

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

* - almost https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2019 at 2:02 AM, Rob S said:

OK instead of explaining this mistaken post I'll edit it and take the opportunity not to waste a Post to give a clue as to the subject.  Now the only thing is that since Dave guessed what it is (or was and really still is) I have found some very useful information and so the subject actually changes slightly (probably in other words a variant of the original subject).  

So the first clue as to the subject is that initially it was going to take two Frog kits to make and now it is going to take four (unless I get very motivated and mould a couple of things instead of sacrificing two kits).  

So there's the first clue.  Any ideas?  

OK 10 days (Oh No!  Valuable time lost a;ready!) have past so it must be time for another clue (maybe if no one guesses before the end of the Group Build then I won't have time to even start!).  

So the second clue is that the first Frog kit has been discussed but no one has committed to building it and the second Frog kit is already the subject of a Build Thread.  

So there is the second clue.  I think someone will get it straight away.  

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

OK 10 days (Oh No!  Valuable time lost a;ready!) have past so it must be time for another clue (maybe if no one guesses before the end of the Group Build then I won't have time to even start!).  

So the second clue is that the first Frog kit has been discussed but no one has committed to building it and the second Frog kit is already the subject of a Build Thread.  

So there is the second clue.  I think someone will get it straight away.  

.....I correctly understood that a branch this game:

WWTBAM20thTitle.png

(Resource image- Wikipedia)

was opened in  topic & @Rob S general sponsor of the prize pool of the local Britmodeller version of this game???

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

...We already used one hint! 🤔 It is not necessary to rely on the help of the forum? 🤗

It remains a call to a friend!  😉😁

But if the prize fund will be a million pounds*, as in general game, maybe just divide them equally among those whose models will be in this topic:

?😉😁

* - perhaps I should join this GB !!! 😁😁

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Quick question,was the car door Typhoon a completely new mold or a re-pop of the very basic original?

I think it was a new tool, released in '75 according to Lines/Hellström.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

was the car door Typhoon a completely new mold or a re-pop of the very basic original?

New mold. 

Moreover, some experts claim that it is geometrically worse than very basic original:

- the fuselage is taller and wider by about 2 mm than is needed on the 72nd scale;

- the cockpit canopy is wider than necessary at the 72nd scale;

- the screw and blade blades have an irregular shape;

- The wing-to-fuselage mating line is incorrect;

- Outline of the nose radiator is incorrect.

Resource:

http://retromodels.ru/f231/

B.R.

Serge

50 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Moreover, some experts claim that it is geometrically worse than very basic original:

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I think it was a new tool, released in '75 according to Lines/Hellström.

Cheers folks,one to avoid I think.

12 hours ago, Aardvark said:

.....I correctly understood that a branch this game:

WWTBAM20thTitle.png

(Resource image- Wikipedia)

was opened in  topic & @Rob S general sponsor of the prize pool of the local Britmodeller version of this game???  

Given that I'd be flat out sponsoring a Girl Guide to eat a packet of Girl Guide Biscuits something is definitely lost in translation if came across that I could sponsor something like that!  

12 hours ago, Aardvark said:

But if the prize fund will be a million pounds*, 

* - perhaps I should join this GB !!! 😁😁

I think Pat may have got an answer as to how to get Serge to join the GB?

• Haha 2

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but there's an incarnation of some FROG kits that seems to be missing from the Scalemates listings, and that's the Humbrol Make and Paint sets from the early 1970s. 

I had the Bf109F set, which included the kit, a set of enamel paints in glass vials, a tube of glue and a brush. 

I'm not sure how many there were in total but I remember the Hurricane IIc and the P40B. There may well have been more. 

I do remember that mine came from a department store in the town rather than one of the more usual kit buying outlets. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John said:

there's an incarnation of some FROG kits that seems to be missing from the Scalemates listings

That's  news to me John,I remember Remus toys turning up at my newsagents I believe there were a few Frog kits in the range.Now I'm in a muddle over

whether to call it a day with anything else for this GB,the B17 is progressing(update today) started the Lynx only the S6 to do and were still in July! Looking

at KK and inspired by you lot there's a few I'm itching to do i.e. Vengeance (Pat has offered one) Wessex(love the RAN scheme) Shark (some great builds

going on but I'd love to do the RAF scheme) and now I've started the lynx(as the army scheme) I'd like to do the French Navy prototype.

• Like 3

I remember seeing a rack of Remus kits in Boots the Chemist, of all places. I think they were all FROG kits but they had new artwork done for at least some of them. 

I'm much deeper into this GB than I had planned on being too, but there's no denying that it's good fun. I'll probably have to get a Bf109 now as well, since that particular memory has floated to the top... 😁

I'm away from home just now but I'll see if I can track down a photo of one of the Humbrol kits when I get back later today 

John 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:00 PM, Aardvark said:

New mold. 

- the fuselage is taller and wider by about 2 mm than is needed on the 72nd scale;

- the cockpit canopy is wider than necessary at the 72nd scale;

- the screw and blade blades have an irregular shape;

- The wing-to-fuselage mating line is incorrect;

- Outline of the nose radiator is incorrect.

Resource:

http://retromodels.ru/f231/

B.R.

Serge

I have the old tool in the stash somewhere.  Just sayin' . . .

44 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

I have the old tool in the stash somewhere. 

This:

typhoon_frog_f389_h1_1.jpeg

typhoon_frog_f389_h1_2.jpeg

typhoon_novo_p1.png

Probably models in this box:

typhoon_novoexport1_1.png

or in this (but  in red colour box): 

typhoon_dzi_p1_1.png

was first model in my life!

😍😁

Resource photo:

http://retromodels.ru/f389/

And my first full West mold model was Hasegawa Minicraft IAI Kfir C.2.  in a creepy, crumpled box.  (I still have the box and instructions!)

I'm  change this IAI Kfir C.2 on 11 (eleven!) NOVO "nude" mold ( I.e. without decal, box & instructions)  SB-2 on local modeller's club....

unfair exchange?  Of course!  But then there were such times .... late USSR ... wild capitalism .....

B.R.

Serge

• Like 4

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's  news to me John,I remember Remus toys turning up at my newsagents I believe there were a few Frog kits in the range

Here's four of the Remus reissued FROG kits. There were also a Spitfire and P51B as well as the Ta152 in a blister pack similar to the Airfix effort. There may well have been more.

IMG-3757.jpg

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Here's four of the Remus reissued FROG kits.

I built the Hurricane Tony,still some out there KK have the Gladiator.just finished the last touches of the new bathroom there was a lovely 5ftx3ft box just deep enough

for my 1/72 builds to fit in so as I was dusting and fitting them in I took Photos of a couple of Frog builds from last year.I did the Typhoon with the spinner 

prop and Tempest for the Hawker GB.Sadly the Typhoon is long gone.

20190718_200951

And the Beau for the BM 10th Birthday GB,wasn't the nose filter wrong for British models?

20190718_201217

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Nice duo there @stevej60, I especially like the Tempest especially in those colours. Just rewarded myself with the Eduard Tempest Royal Class box which is winging its way down to me as we speak. Why the reward? ... well why not!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Steve,

I always understood that the nose "filter" was in fact a bulge to house a Sperry Autopilot on the Aussie Mk 21 version, even though it was seldom fitted. It is mentioned in Green's "War Planes - Fighters Vol 2" in the small Macdonald series of books that got me really going in the early 60's. I know it was correctly on the re-tooled Mk 21 but I seem to recall it was on the earlier Mk IF/Mk VI offering as well and that I filed it off.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I think you'll find the bulge on the Aussie version was to accommodate the fridge to hold the "tinneys" 🍻

Well we can’t drink that warm rubbish you lot keep serving up now can we? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Reminds me, been meaning to ask for a while, what actually passes for decent Aussie beer? 

Anything Cold I suppose Stu? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I've just taken delivery of a pair of built FROG V Bombers for repair and renovation. Probably built up to much for the GB, I thought I would add them here anyway. They are not exactly common!

Recent Ebay buys, I'm really happy to have them.

IMG-8462.jpg

Nice enough builds, although the cammo is a bit thick and the green looks somewhat dark to me. I'll have a think about what to do here. Keeping things period is nice, but I'm not against a new paintjob if it improves the model without removing all its age.

The undersides are part painted on each. I'll either repaint or remove whats there. The FROG white plastic polishes up good enough to get away with no paint here. Neither plane has serials underwing. I'll be needing to sort that out as well.

Both planes need undercarriage parts replacing. Only one gear leg and wheel set is present on each plane. I can use whats there to cast the needed replacements, so that's no big deal.

All in all a nice little project that will see me with a couple of good looking models once the necessary work is done.

Tony.

• Like 6